Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:39:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Instead of GPUs - PCI based Mining hardware? & Non tradidional PCs  (Read 3500 times)
Zillions (OP)

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 03:53:58 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2012, 07:21:22 PM by Zillions

Ok stupid question considering you need a computer to run all current hardware to run any of the stand alone mining hardware.

Why hasn't any one made a PCI based card to mine coins?

Yes it's more power efficient but if you just plug a card into your computer that has a already being used PSU, why do I need to have another power leeching wall wart?

Is there any one that I could contact for such a thing to get one made to get the ball rolling? Maybe get a kickstarter program going.

If any one that is designing the Opensource hardware could we maybe get a vote going what style of hardware you'd prefer?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
live627

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 04:03:11 AM

Isn't a GPU PCI-based?
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 04:25:39 AM

I'm gonna guess and say USB controllers are cheaper and easier to work with than PCIe controllers. The KISS rule always trumps.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 04:57:45 AM

The cooling of my computer isn't the best. I don't want another heat producer inside it.
Besides, for the people who really want to mine big, the total number of pci/pci-e/whatever type of cards is limited to a very low number. usb goes up to 127 devices each controller.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 05:00:14 AM

The cooling of my computer isn't the best. I don't want another heat producer inside it.
Besides, for the people who really want to mine big, the total number of pci/pci-e/whatever type of cards is limited to a very low number. usb goes up to 127 devices each controller.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=70611.msg1041850#msg1041850

Zillions (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 05:35:57 AM

Isn't a GPU PCI-based?
Yes but they are not built for the purpose of what we are using them for hence inefficent. It's like using a car engine to generate electricity sure you can do it but there's better engines to do that with.
live627

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 06:13:36 AM

Isn't a GPU PCI-based?
Yes but they are not built for the purpose of what we are using them for hence inefficent. It's like using a car engine to generate electricity sure you can do it but there's better engines to do that with.
Good comparison. Using a car's motor to power, say, a house is highly inefficient and a very silly idea IMO.
ngzhang

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 07:41:58 AM

because mining didn't need a computer.  Cheesy
it's possible to use a DD-WRT based router instead.
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 07:56:29 AM

As already mentioned, using usb is just a little easier all round.

But enterpoint as a long time maker of general use FPGA's makes all kinds, they have done really big chip arrays that are PCI based.
http://enterpoint.co.uk/products/asic-development-high-performance-computing/merrick-3/

Their merrick-3 is one of their biggest spartan 6's and when it came to entering the bitcoin market, they still choose an entirely new design which was USB based. So if you want a concrete answer I'd ask Yohan at enterpoint why.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 03:51:57 PM

But enterpoint as a long time maker of general use FPGA's makes all kinds, they have done really big chip arrays that are PCI based.
http://enterpoint.co.uk/products/asic-development-high-performance-computing/merrick-3/

You could have a PCIe slot with 24 XC6SLX150 chips?  Shocked

Lethos

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 04:04:12 PM

If you really want to drool, just ask about their merrick 1, custom order board with 100 chips on one board, they usually do it with spartan 3's. Pretty sure you could ask for spartan 6's.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 04:07:12 PM

If you really want to drool, just ask about their merrick 1, custom order board with 100 chips on one board, they usually do it with spartan 3's. Pretty sure you could ask for spartan 6's.

Well I got thinking, and 24 chips would require like 10W each, right? Could a PCIe x1 slot and a single molex connector supply 240+W?

Lethos

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 05:10:37 PM

Well I got thinking, and 24 chips would require like 10W each, right? Could a PCIe x1 slot and a single molex connector supply 240+W?

If I remember rightly, the molex connect can handle 5amps on the 5v and 12v line, so you looking at:
60w and 25w.
Then you have the PCIe itself, so that is another 75w.

So short answer, is no. I'm not seeing how they could do it, with just 1. But not all spartan 6's use 10watts.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 05:54:50 PM

If I remember rightly, the molex connect can handle 5amps on the 5v and 12v line, so you looking at:
60w and 25w.
Then you have the PCIe itself, so that is another 75w.

So short answer, is no. I'm not seeing how they could do it, with just 1. But not all spartan 6's use 10watts.

Lets say the did use XC6SLX150 chips (What the ZTEX, ModMiner, Lancelot, Icarus, X6500, and Cairnsmore all use), but not a full 24. They could fill half the board and use 12 chips, and have the card draw < 150W for 2.4GH/s. It'll cost you 3x any of the previously mentioned chips, but hey, who cares? Tongue

Zillions (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 07:19:48 PM

Power? We just plug another molex into the card just like we power video cards nowdays.

My whole thing is I still need a fully functioning PC to do mining some what of a waste I used to power my PC down every so often but now leave it on constantly. I have a 850w power supply and would love to just throw in a couple PCI cards into empty slots to fill out.

I know somebody has done a rasberryey pi (honestly no idea what OS) but some one just mentioned that they used a DDWrt router to mine wth how'd you get that running is there a guide you can point me to?
I have 2 old routers that I believe can be ddwrt'd that I'd love to conver into low power dedicated miners. Any channce for a couple of links?

Also I can't find it right now but I heard some one was working on an android mining clinet? that would be awesome as I have a tablet that's basically a Alarm clock bedtime webrowser/video player.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 08:16:45 PM

Lets take these things one at a time.

Power? We just plug another molex into the card just like we power video cards nowdays.
That's what we're discussing. The board he linked only has 1 molex power plug.

My whole thing is I still need a fully functioning PC to do mining some what of a waste I used to power my PC down every so often but now leave it on constantly. I have a 850w power supply and would love to just throw in a couple PCI cards into empty slots to fill out.
There is no such product out there right now. Realisticly, if you have empty PCIe slots and a PSU to power them, start buying more GPUs!

I know somebody has done a rasberryey pi (honestly no idea what OS) but some one just mentioned that they used a DDWrt router to mine wth how'd you get that running is there a guide you can point me to?
I have 2 old routers that I believe can be ddwrt'd that I'd love to conver into low power dedicated miners. Any channce for a couple of links?
CGMiner on a DD-WRT can be found here. A RPi guide can be found here.

Also I can't find it right now but I heard some one was working on an android mining clinet? that would be awesome as I have a tablet that's basically a Alarm clock bedtime webrowser/video player.
Assuming you're not actually trying to mine on the tablet itself (you're talking piddly squat for performance), the problem with that is that most Android phones/tables do not have a USB host controller. If you found one that could act as a USB controller and not a slave, you could possibly hook up an FPGA and run some mining software. If you're really serious about that, I'd start a new thread, and maybe check out this.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 09:03:21 PM

Isn't a GPU PCI-based?
Ehm, do you know the FPGA and the ASIC?

Miners have been using dedicated hardware since months, lot of ppl use FPGA to mine.

And BFL soon will release ASIC to mine (yeah well, probably they will)

Zillions (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 11:07:32 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2012, 11:45:08 PM by Zillions

Isn't a GPU PCI-based?
Ehm, do you know the FPGA and the ASIC?

Miners have been using dedicated hardware since months, lot of ppl use FPGA to mine.

And BFL soon will release ASIC to mine (yeah well, probably they will)

Right again I was talking about how you still need a PC running to use those FFPGAs and ASICs

Assuming you're not actually trying to mine on the tablet itself (you're talking piddly squat for performance), the problem with that is that most Android phones/tables do not have a USB host controller. If you found one that could act as a USB controller and not a slave, you could possibly hook up an FPGA and run some mining software. If you're really serious about that, I'd start a new thread, and maybe check out this.

Though I do Love the sound of using an old router to run the CGminer.

I was about to get all excited when I said myself "Sure I have a USB port on My Asus Transormer Prime!" then realized that the charging port was what connected to the USB for data transfers too bad I don't have the docking station might be the perfect low power PC.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 12:45:10 AM

Though I do Love the sound of using an old router to run the CGminer.

I was about to get all excited when I said myself "Sure I have a USB port on My Asus Transormer Prime!" then realized that the charging port was what connected to the USB for data transfers too bad I don't have the docking station might be the perfect low power PC.

I've seen a lot of people use old laptops when mining with FPGAs (or just use whatever they have. Any old dell you pick up on ebay for < $100 with working USB and LAN ports can run Ubuntu and mine with as many FPGAs as you want. And when they idle at < 20W, the power cost is pretty small.

toxicocean

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 08:50:32 PM

Just use a Raspberry Pi to control your FPGA's. Run it with the stock Raspbian, and it'll only use maybe 2,5W...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: