Bitcoin Forum
August 15, 2024, 02:18:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thunder X6 Problem....  (Read 673 times)
Yofun (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 03:35:49 AM

Alright so I have a Thunder X6. I been running it in a hotish room off and on. I decided to move it to my room and run it more often. (A/C cooled room) but...I am also a ham radio operator. Now I can't get signal's from the local repeater. Well I do get signals but they are distorted.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had issues with their mining hardware inferring with their radios?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 03:38:02 AM

Alright so I have a Thunder X6. I been running it in a hotish room off and on. I decided to move it to my room and run it more often. (A/C cooled room) but...I am also a ham radio operator. Now I can't get signal's from the local repeater. Well I do get signals but they are distorted.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had issues with their mining hardware inferring with their radios?

How close is it to your setup?  Also what type of radio/antenna are you using?
Yofun (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 03:43:02 AM

How close is it to your setup?  Also what type of radio/antenna are you using?
Well. Here is my room. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv5gu52e6o8

And even farther away into my living room I have the inference issues. I do live in a trailer...

I have the BaoFeng UV-5R with a small antenna,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271693673712?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yeah. I went cheap on my radio setup. Jt works fine when my miner is not running Cheesy
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 03:47:50 AM

How close is it to your setup?  Also what type of radio/antenna are you using?

And even farther away into my living room I have the inference issues. I do live in a trailer...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271693673712?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yeah. I went cheap on my radio setup. Jt works fine when my miner is not running Cheesy

It is the electricity.  That is a cheap antenna, with not a ton of shielding with a very long cord.  If you have high electricity usage device creating a field (microwaves are the worst) it will hurt your reception being so close.

I would suggest moving the antenna cord away from the miner.   Yes your antenna is getting best reception in window.... but if miner is close to that you need to move antenna.
Yofun (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 03:51:43 AM

It is the electricity.  That is a cheap antenna, with not a ton of shielding.  If you have high electricity usage device creating a field (microwaves are the worst) it will hurt your reception being so close.

I would suggest moving the antenna cord away from the miner.   Yes your antenna is getting best reception in window.... but if miner is close to that you need to move antenna.
Yeah. What's worst is it's a trailer, so even in the living room my signals are still static. I bet its bouncing on all the mental. The old room I had the miner in was a addon.
So I guess i need to upgrade to a better antenna, eventually. and mount it outside.

If you saw the video. The antenna is like across the room. So yeah. 
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 03:57:01 AM

It is the electricity.  That is a cheap antenna, with not a ton of shielding.  If you have high electricity usage device creating a field (microwaves are the worst) it will hurt your reception being so close.

Yeah. What's worst is it's a trailer, so even in the living room my signals are still static. I bet its bouncing on all the mental. The old room I had the miner in was a addon.
So I guess i need to upgrade to a better antenna, eventually. and mount it outside.

And it's also the antenna cord.   It is not a ton of shielding on that cord.   So it is more likely to be effected if you have high usage electric devices, or magnetic, etc.  Go outdoors with your handheld and antenna and if you are getting signal from the repeater we know it for sure is my guess of the high electricity device by it.

I would move the miner is most simple solution.   If you start looking at nice antennas and cords, you will be spending quite a bit more then I think you will want to.

Just curious for you to ask on this stuff.... are you licensed ham radio operator?
Yofun (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 04:01:30 AM

And it's also the antenna cord.   It is not a ton of shielding on that cord.   So it is more likely to be effected if you have high usage electric devices, or magnetic, etc.  Go outdoors with your handheld and antenna and if you are getting signal from the repeater we know it for sure is my guess of the high electricity device by it.

I would move the miner is most simple solution.   If you start looking at nice antennas and cords, you will be spending quite a bit more then I think you will want to.

Just curious for you to ask on this stuff.... are you licensed ham radio operator?

I am a licensed ham radio operator. A new one. Just got my ticket last month. the 25th.
And yeah...cables etc are not cheap. But The only place I can move the miner is back to that hot  room. So I guess I just gotta bite the bullet. Also I am going to PM you my call sign Wink

By biting the bullet i mean just gotta deal with what I have. Go outside whenever I have a ham net or something.

Now it also makes sense to me why my radio was not hitting the repeater eariler. Cheesy I was trying to show them it but nope.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 04:06:21 AM

Verified and congratz OP on getting a license.  It's always nice to see new hams.

One thing I did for my handheld was get a very nice scanner/ham antenna.   I can connect my handheld up to it when I want to , or I can use my regular scanner if I want.  It was from radio shack... so no link as they closed Smiley.

Anyways best of luck and happy mining!
Yofun (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 04:19:51 AM

Verified and congratz OP on getting a license.  It's always nice to see new hams.

One thing I did for my handheld was get a very nice scanner/ham antenna.   I can connect my handheld up to it when I want to , or I can use my regular scanner if I want.  It was from radio shack... so no link as they closed Smiley.

Heh...My local radio shack is still open Tongue

So your a ham also? Do you ever get on echolink?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 04:28:10 AM

I do have my license but I have not been very active.  I have not used echolink, but looks like cool software.   

I had a group of friends that used it, but I'm not up where they are very often.   The secondary hobby I have been taking up lately is remote control devices.  Car/drone I have been doing that some.   The gas powered rc car is a ton of fun.  Get it up to 35 MPH or so and it flys.

I wont go to far off topic.  Best of luck with your mining!
Yofun (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 04:30:37 AM

I do have my license but I have not been very active.  I have not used echolink, but looks like cool software.   

I had a group of friends that used it, but I'm not up where they are very often.   The secondary hobby I have been taking up lately is remote control devices.  Car/drone I have been doing that some.   The gas powered rc car is a ton of fun.  Get it up to 35 MPH or so and it flys.

I wont go to far off topic.  Best of luck with your mining!
Alright, Thanks for the help. I just wanted to make sure my miner was not malfunctioning or something...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: