Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 01:47:10 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: the rise and fall of...  (Read 2236 times)
mistersheep (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:21:36 PM

Wow, great article in Wired!

OK, I am trying to verify - please tell me - true or false?

"The high point in the https://www.coinbase.com/charts bitcoin price graph ($1145) around Dec. 1st 2013, and subsequent decline since, coincides with the rise and fall of Silk Road...?
TheGr33k

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:28:37 PM

"The high point in the https://www.coinbase.com/charts bitcoin price graph ($1145) around Dec. 1st 2013, and subsequent decline since, coincides with the rise and fall of Silk Road...?

This was around the time I joined the bitcoin community. The price rose higher to 1.2k in January I believe. I'm not 100% certain but wasn't the crash partially due to the fall of BTCchina and Chinese banks not accepting bitcoin purchases.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:35:38 PM

It doesn't really have anything to do with Silk Road. Silk Road was operation way before the rise in late 2013. If that bubble and the downslide since then can be attributes to anything or anyone, my bets would be on Gox being responsible for this. I'm quite certain that they indeed caused the price to go up in such an inflationary manner.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Purple Wayne

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:43:47 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2015, 06:03:58 PM by Purple Wayne

I don't think anybody knows what caused the crash. Bitcoin's value seems to have a mind of its own most of the time but I think there were several theories on what caused the crash. The biggest one was the mt gox fiasco.

I only wanted 2 see u underneath the Purple Wayne.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:55:01 PM

I believe the bubble and subsequent crash was caused by speculation. Very typical to see this behavior in an unregulated market. Speculators try guessing future prices and often drive the prices up to silly highs. When this is realized the price starts to fall apart and oscillate until settling on a more reasonable estimate. It looks like $230 is that price.

The article was written by people who want you to look at the adds, not by scholars trying to educate you. Including the sexy and interesting idea of secret black markets is too much to resist. It is also why the title is the rise and fall of bitcoin. A fall is far more interesting than a normal, predictable market correction.

Fall indeed, that thing was written Nov 23, 2011. The fall was from $30 then. Did it end anything?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:55:26 PM

i think the china drama made bitcoin go down so much. a lot people were thinking bitcoin china would really take off. after all the bad news people for some reason lost faith. merchant adoption also had and still has a huge impact on the price.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:58:00 PM

This was around the time I joined the bitcoin community. The price rose higher to 1.2k in January I believe. I'm not 100% certain but wasn't the crash partially due to the fall of BTCchina and Chinese banks not accepting bitcoin purchases.

That price rise actually attracted a lot of common people at that point of time, who by bitcoin understand nothing but its price.
Jakesy

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:07:49 PM

It was really a perfect storm of things.

Willy bot from Mt. Gox was driving the price up (it should have been around $250 all along).  Silk Road. Chinese regulations.  Etc...
SpanishSoldier

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:16:47 PM

It was really a perfect storm of things.

Willy bot from Mt. Gox was driving the price up (it should have been around $250 all along).  Silk Road. Chinese regulations.  Etc...

Read this and you'll know why the storm was perfect Wink

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-richard-wyckoff-stock-trading-method-2013-2?op=1&IR=T
oblivi

Merit: 501

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:21:26 PM

I believe the bubble and subsequent crash was caused by speculation. Very typical to see this behavior in an unregulated market. Speculators try guessing future prices and often drive the prices up to silly highs. When this is realized the price starts to fall apart and oscillate until settling on a more reasonable estimate. It looks like $230 is that price.

The article was written by people who want you to look at the adds, not by scholars trying to educate you. Including the sexy and interesting idea of secret black markets is too much to resist. It is also why the title is the rise and fall of bitcoin. A fall is far more interesting than a normal, predictable market correction.

Fall indeed, that thing was written Nov 23, 2011. The fall was from $30 then. Did it end anything?
It was a mix of various factors. Mainly being something new where you can't really draw a ceiling, you aren't sure what is a fair price, so people got caught on a huge rally.
Now time will bring us back to 1K+ territory, but it will be under a more reasonable timeframe.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:24:42 PM

I don't think anybody knows what caused the crash. Bitcoin's value seems to have a mind of its own most of the time but I think there were several theories on what caused the crash. The biggest one was the mt gox fiasco.

it's obvious that the crash was caused by willy bot, after he pumped the price to the sky, he wanted to make profit of it, he did it, by sucking who joined the wave of his pump
SpanishSoldier

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:26:31 PM

it's obvious that the crash was caused by willy bot, after he pumped the price to the sky, he wanted to make profit of it, he did it, by sucking who joined the wave of his pump

Though MK made some profit, more benefited were other exchange owners at that time, especially BTC-e. They are now sitting on a pile of coins.
mistersheep (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 07:20:19 PM

Actually, the article I was referring to is in the latest (May 2015) issue of Wired, and is called "The Rise and Fall of Silk Road - part 1"
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 08:08:39 PM

It was just a bubble, its at real value now
Sakarias-Corporation

Activity: 574

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2015, 08:23:00 PM

It was just a bubble, its at real value now

Not Even close. we're so far away from its ''real'' value now.

GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 08:27:52 PM

Until people pay more for it, this is the real price
Sakarias-Corporation

Activity: 574

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2015, 08:30:46 PM

Until people pay more for it, this is the real price

No, its the ''Current'' Price Smiley there's a difference Wink

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 10:13:15 PM

A single bot couldn't do that, the volume was big enough to not enable a single bot to move the market in such a ridiculous way. It was a mix of bot + people losing it on a super rally.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2015, 03:07:29 AM

I think there's a very real chance that Bitcoin won't see $500 again in my lifetime (I'm old).

Sorry for the bearish attitude, but it seems like we've somehow reached a stalling point. Not sure how, but we need some momentum to get things turned around.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 05:38:34 AM

Wasn't it "Willy the bot" at MtGox that drove the price that high?

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: