Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:58:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's make this prediction official: "Anarchism" is the new "Terrorism"  (Read 1301 times)
Coincomm (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 05:17:12 PM

As soldiers and activists get sick of the way things are going, who thinks the new mainstream media buzzwords are going to be "Anarchism" and "Anarchist Terrorists"?

Don't like the government? You're an anarchist.

The Anarchist Scare anyone?

Could your gun-collecting neighbor be a anarchist?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheBitcoinChemist

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 05:35:48 PM

The two terms have been largely the same in the minds of the general public for decades.
Coincomm (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 05:37:12 PM

The two terms have been largely the same in the minds of the general public for decades.
It's just been awhile since I've seen it in American media. It's usually a European thing with left-wing Anarchists and not this new breed of fiscally conservative, Constitutional-Anarchists. lol
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 05:57:15 PM

That's why I try to steer away from identifying as "anarchist" among those who may misunderstand. If I'm going to talk to the uninformed, I use the label "Voluntaryist." I'd like to see 'em try and twist that one into something scary.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET

Activity: 756

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 12:03:50 AM

better prediction: Libertarians will be labelled the new Anarchists then labelled Terrorists

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 12:37:35 AM

Anarchy isn't really as scary as terror, and since the word "terrorism" is only used to incite a response in the reader, it may not be a very effective replacement.

You'd be better off using the word "government", especially if you want to scare a libertarian.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 12:49:24 AM

Anarchy isn't really as scary as terror, and since the word "terrorism" is only used to incite a response in the reader, it may not be a very effective replacement.

You'd be better off using the word "government", especially if you want to scare a libertarian.

Funny that you should say that...

https://twitter.com/RepDanGordon/status/234470467673665536

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 01:15:23 AM

Funny that you should say that...

https://twitter.com/RepDanGordon/status/234470467673665536

Indeed, the world has been shaped by terror for eons.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 05:03:41 PM

I think Anarchism leads to a small gov but not violence.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 05:07:33 PM

It's just been awhile since I've seen it in American media. It's usually a European thing with left-wing Anarchists and not this new breed of fiscally conservative, Constitutional-Anarchists. lol

old news

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
miln40

Activity: 85

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 08:21:08 PM

Well you can't deny that anarchism has made a pretty bad name for itself with the Dogma of Violence from the past century. Of course, the movement is evolving but the past has a powerful presence.
Also, the fact that anarchists generally would like to reserve the power to hurt other people to themselves and would not give it up to some controlling structure sounds quite dangerous ("I don't care about the laws of the land, the decision what is good or bad lies entirely with me and I reserve the right to use violence to defend my values")
Not that I completely denounce the ideas, but I'm generally careful in declaring support for them.
That said, I think in the next say 10 years, terrorists would still remain mostly Muslim in the eye of the mainstream media. With the small addition of far-right crackpots like Breivik.

My primary BTC address:
1M5oZcUzHGT3mzNeA73opLUdSPSpKL5NE3
TheBitcoinChemist

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 10:02:42 PM

Well you can't deny that anarchism has made a pretty bad name for itself with the Dogma of Violence from the past century. Of course, the movement is evolving but the past has a powerful presence.
Also, the fact that anarchists generally would like to reserve the power to hurt other people to themselves and would not give it up to some controlling structure sounds quite dangerous ("I don't care about the laws of the land, the decision what is good or bad lies entirely with me and I reserve the right to use violence to defend my values")
Not that I completely denounce the ideas, but I'm generally careful in declaring support for them.
That said, I think in the next say 10 years, terrorists would still remain mostly Muslim in the eye of the mainstream media. With the small addition of far-right crackpots like Breivik.

No, not quite.  The main reason that violence is associated with anarchism (particularly in Europe) is because Karl Marx theorized that a true communist society was impossible so long as the capitalist society remained stable, thus a stage requiring the violent destruction of the capitalist system is required.  From this perspective, anarchists are not seeking a stable society sans-government (or even sans-capitalism per se) they are actively seeking an unstable society in the hopes that insability and unrest will provoke the masses to react by seeking out an alternative social structure since "capitalism has failed".  Of course, they expect that capitalism will fail with a little push, but it never has before.

In the long run, most European anarchists (and many American anarchists of similar stripe) are actually marxists, whether they realize it or not.  Many don't, since many are just young punks looking for a reason to break stuff and set building ablaze.

Conflict is the natural state of mankind; peace requires effort, and therefore is not the natural state of mankind.  A true free market encourages peaceful trade, both at the individual level and the international level; and therefore discourages warfare.  It's a pity that we haven't had anything close to a true free market in this country since at least 1913.  Bitcoin's greatest promise (IMHO) is to bring back such free markets, first in an online setting then everywhere, in everything that we do simply by permitting us to ignore the state if we wish.  An entire world interacting in tiny, niche markets that extend the world over, in a System D fashion, cannot be regulated any more effectively today than a tax on tea in 1776 or a tax on whiskey in 1791.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: