Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:56:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between whitepaper and threads ?  (Read 547 times)
Namek (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 02:34:01 PM

Hello Smiley

I always asked to myself what was the real purpose of whitepapers... How are they different from what it's written in coin's thread ?
Can someone explains me the difference ?

Thanks,
Best
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 02:37:41 PM

a white paper simply tis a way to pretend it somehow has cred, talk a bit of tech pseudo science hogwash, ad a diagram....wham instant crypto street cred  Shocked
muddafudda
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1022

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 02:54:01 PM

About 5 minutes.
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 05:19:41 PM

You probably know threads. Everyone is free to write whatever they want.

Whitepapers in general contain at least an overlook on what's going on, as well as the theory and eventually detailed looks at at the most interesting specifics.
When it comes to coins, whitepapers are usually way less informative. They range from "we copypasted the announce thread in a PDF and pretend it's a whitepaper" to "let's just assume everyone and his/her dog has a master degree in cryptography and applied mathematics".
As you might guess, both extremes produce useless "whitepapers".
Namek (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 05:41:00 PM

You probably know threads. Everyone is free to write whatever they want.

Whitepapers in general contain at least an overlook on what's going on, as well as the theory and eventually detailed looks at at the most interesting specifics.
When it comes to coins, whitepapers are usually way less informative. They range from "we copypasted the announce thread in a PDF and pretend it's a whitepaper" to "let's just assume everyone and his/her dog has a master degree in cryptography and applied mathematics".
As you might guess, both extremes produce useless "whitepapers".

Thanks you for reply.
But when you see at ziftrCOIN, what's the difference between the thread and the white paper ? What did they wrote in the whitepaper ?

Thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=970363.0
Whitepaper : https://d19y4lldx7po3t.cloudfront.net/assets/docs/ziftrcoin-whitepaper-120614.pdf
Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 09:56:27 PM

All the "whitepapers" you'll find on here are rubbish.

MaxDZ8

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 08:03:53 AM

Thanks you for reply.
But when you see at ziftrCOIN, what's the difference between the thread and the white paper ? What did they wrote in the whitepaper ?
This is a whitepaper just because they declared so. It's not quite the thread copypasted, but pretty much on that end of the spectrum. You get nice colors.
pazor_true
Legendary

Activity: 1460
Merit: 1025

i love Emerald (EMD)

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 08:07:10 AM

whitepaper: one person talks about bullshit (sometimes)
thread: many persons talk about this bullshit (often)

BTC 12jiBjT2GSWYk2HwYdPqsQMuLqZ1br9D37 - i am Pazor
ed_teech

Activity: 508

Jahaha

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 08:59:35 AM

The whitepaper is the first thing to read, the thread is the next to question it.
Namek (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 04:31:00 PM

The whitepaper is the first thing to read, the thread is the next to question it.

What did you except to read inside it ?
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 03:54:41 AM

I thought one of the goals of a technical whitepaper is that you should be able to read it and implement a roughly equivalent version from scratch using just the information given. The Bitcoin whitepaper, for example, provides a reasonably detailed explanation of how Bitcoin works so that it would be enough for someone to read it and implement their own version of Bitcoin using whatever programming language they're familiar with. (That isn't to say that I haven't seen many whitepapers fall far short of this standard however.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: