Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:14:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Full node?  (Read 842 times)
Vene (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 06:39:14 AM

Hi, since I have one computer that I use a server (always on) I would like to support the network with full node. Which I am doing already.
But I have one problem, every couple of days my IP address changes and of course when that happens BT core blocks incoming connections and lets just 8 outgoing connections. When I shut down and open BT core everything again runs fine (until the next IP change).
How to avoid that? Can i somehow tell BT core to use my dyndns address that is forwarded to port 8333 of my server?
Thx
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 07:53:26 AM

you can run core on a vm and set static ip address there, just a simply solution
johoe

Activity: 217
Merit: 241

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 10:55:21 AM

you can run core on a vm and set static ip address there, just a simply solution

Well unless he has an externally visible static IP address (and then you don't need the vm) it doesn't help OP's problem.

Can i somehow tell BT core to use my dyndns address that is forwarded to port 8333 of my server?

No, the bitcoin protocol only exchanges IP addresses not DNS names: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Protocol_specification#Network_address

Maybe you can write a script that is called when your external address changed and restarts bitcoind.

It's time that IPv6 gets used and we can all have our own static IP address.

Donations to 1CF62UFWXiKqFUmgQMUby9DpEW5LXjypU3
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:10:35 AM

Well unless he has an externally visible static IP address (and then you don't need the vm) it doesn't help OP's problem.

Can i somehow tell BT core to use my dyndns address that is forwarded to port 8333 of my server?

No, the bitcoin protocol only exchanges IP addresses not DNS names: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Protocol_specification#Network_address

Maybe you can write a script that is called when your external address changed and restarts bitcoind.

It's time that IPv6 gets used and we can all have our own static IP address.

he can set a vpn and get a static address from a provider(actually you don't need to pay, a free vpn can provide to you a shared ip , that become basically static if you don't close your vm or your vpn program) while maintaining his actual ip, so i think a vm could come in handy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: