Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:38:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The bitcoin wiki needs help  (Read 993 times)
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 07:46:04 PM

The Bitcoin Wiki is a great place to put information of lasting value with a much higher information density than forum threads with hundreds of pages but it only works if enough people contribute in a constructive way.

With this post I would like to both advertise to use it and ask how people get more rights there aka. who's in charge?

The deletion requests has over 200 items accumulated which of 95% can be acted upon immediately and the others need a determined voting to get to a conclusion. Delaying this is bad.

Less appreciated articles lurk around since years without getting either support that would justify their survival or – in my opionion – the deletion that's long over-due.

There is tons to do and with more hands helping, the wiki could really be even more awesome than it already is Wink

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 07:53:40 PM

Great initiative. The Wiki contains many well-written articles, we ought to help them not get drowned in the noise. Rather than just starting to work on random items, I'm volunteering to help with things identified as most urgent by those who are more involved with the Wiki. PM me.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 08:28:41 PM

Great initiative. The Wiki contains many well-written articles, we ought to help them not get drowned in the noise. Rather than just starting to work on random items, I'm volunteering to help with things identified as most urgent by those who are more involved with the Wiki. PM me.

Well, I appreciate your offer but in the wiki there is no guidance right now. Look into the special pages if you feel like cleaning up stuff.
Most of these lists help find sites that may be deleted.
Orphaned pages might not have been visited in ages. Either link them from where it makes sense or suggest deletion.
Pages with just one contributor that were not edited in a year and not visited in months might be candidates for deletion.
Popular pages might be worth putting some love in the design and content. Make them look pleasing. Add references. Add more facts. Add an image or two. Remove "noise".

In general, put pages on your watch list and care about changes. Vandalism happens (like referral link spam or people trying to change bitcoin addresses to their own addresses) and with a vigilante community, these survive only some seconds or minutes.
Read the discussion pages if you feel like something is not ok with a page. You will find other people's suggestions that you might want to comment on or add suggest your changes.
Be bold. If you think it's a good idea to split/rewrite/illustrate/restructure/… an article, do it. Reverting this is much less work than doing it in the first place and as long as you don't start an edit war, nobody will argue with you doing things wrong.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 10:25:06 PM

With this post I would like to both advertise to use it and ask how people get more rights there aka. who's in charge?

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36316.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 05:43:05 AM

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36316.0

Thank you for the link. To me it seams this effort to recruit admins failed last year but not due to the lack of willing and trust-worthy people. I bumped the other thread and am curious of the outcome.

Also this thread is hereby closed as a duplicate.

ɃɃ
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: