Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:47:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Programmable currency is not fungible currency. y/n?  (Read 605 times)
mikeymillie (OP)

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 07:30:47 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2015, 08:18:53 PM by mikeymillie

Being able to differentiate behavior of coin A to another coin B ("coin"  being a unit of any so-called programmable currency such as bitcoin, but this proposition is not bitcoin-specific), in a persistent way, means coins A and B have different utility, are no longer functionally interchangeable, and therefore are worth different things to different users.  This breaks fungibility.

Alternatively, if programming is not persistent across transactions, it has no memory (apart from the most rudimentary unique identity, such as a serial number) and thus is not "programmable" but "able to be tracked by something else".  This makes the coin no different than any current electronic payment system where external, programmable scaffolding (in the form of off-ledger memory and logic) is used to track, route, and generally superimpose conditional behavior onto the currency.  

Are fungible currency and programmable currency mutually exclusive concepts?  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 07:46:41 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2015, 04:23:08 PM by odolvlobo

I don't think there is a problem because the bitcoins in the underlying transaction in the are intentionally non-fungible for as long as the value of the programmable currency is greater than the value of the underlying transaction.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:00:23 AM

Being able to differentiate behavior of coin A to another coin B ("coin"  being a unit of any so-called programmable currency such as bitcoin, but this proposition is not bitcoin-specific), in a persistent way, means coins A and B have different utility, are no longer functionally interchangeable, and therefore are worth different things to different users.  This breaks fungibility.

Alternatively, if programming is not persistent across transactions, it has no memory (apart from the most rudimentary unique identity, such as a serial number) and thus is not "programmable" but "able to be tracked by something else".  This makes the coin no different than any current electronic payment system where external, programmable scaffolding (in the form of off-ledger memory and logic) is used to track, route, and generally superimpose conditional behavior onto the currency.  

If I understand you correctly, could the exact same thing not be said about different fiat currencies?

I can't spend USD or AUD here in Europe, I would need to exchange them first.  That doesn't make those currencies non-fungible, rather limited to a certain setting.  In a world where lots of cryptocurrencies are accepted, they would all be fungible, but would require exchanges to allow them to be useful in all situations.

I personally don't think we will see that situation arise, during the alt coin boom people were releasing milkcoin to buy milk, and sugarcoin to buy sugar, I don't see that as a reasonable future for Crypto, I think there will be one major crypto, or they will be geographically split as now with fiat.

futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:05:15 AM

If I understand you correctly, could the exact same thing not be said about different fiat currencies?
I don't think you understood him. He's not talking about different crypocurrencies. He's talking about different bitcoins. i.e Satoshi adds a message to a coin sent from one of the first addresses. Collectors' value. Stuff like that.

I don't think it's a problem. People like to collect serial numbers as well, say 100000 or 888888 or something. That doesn't really destroy the usability of the money, though.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 10:09:13 AM

Indeed, it is annoying, but necessary for the blockchain to be transparent. The best we can do is mixing coins. It's a really annoying process tho. Why don't they add an official mixing feature on the wallet?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: