Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:44:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-08-28 huffingtonpost.com - Chomping At The Bitcoin - The Ups And Downs Of C  (Read 5739 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 09:14:15 PM

I really do think fundamentally understanding how bitcoin works is necessary to be able to trust it.

I don't think most people fundamentally understand what it means to say that the US dollar is only backed by the "full faith and credit of the United States government." Yet, people still trust it because it has worked for them in the past.

Of course, past performance is not an indicator of future success...

Bitcoin doesn't have that luxury. It has to earn the trust. Earning it by "usualness" (I just looked that up for lack of a bette word) takes way too long and I don't think that's how the US dollar initially earned it's trust. It might be how it retains it, but it's not how it gained it in the first place. We need something else to support widespread trust and I don't think "this crypto-freak I know said it's safe and many people already use it" is quite sufficient.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 09:25:04 PM

I really do think fundamentally understanding how bitcoin works is necessary to be able to trust it.

I don't think most people fundamentally understand what it means to say that the US dollar is only backed by the "full faith and credit of the United States government." Yet, people still trust it because it has worked for them in the past.

Bitcoin doesn't have that luxury. It has to earn the trust. Earning it by "usualness" (I just looked that up for lack of a bette word) takes way too long and I don't think that's how the US dollar initially earned it's trust. It might be how it retains it, but it's not how it gained it in the first place. We need something else to support widespread trust and I don't think "this crypto-freak I know said it's safe and many people already use it" is quite sufficient.

+1 molecular

I had to read a lot of crypto-freaks before I trusted bitcoin. It always takes so much explaining, and people are still skeptical. I usually go for the "open-source, vigorously and academically tested" route. I have no way of proving to anybody that it's secured by the laws of mathematics. I have gotten a lot of people very interested in bitcoin, but I haven't gotten anybody to actually buy some yet. I found out about it on my own, and once I decided it wasn't some elaborate scam, I HAD to buy some because I thought they were so revolutionary.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:06:14 PM

+1 molecular

I had to read a lot of crypto-freaks before I trusted bitcoin. It always takes so much explaining, and people are still skeptical. I usually go for the "open-source, vigorously and academically tested" route. I have no way of proving to anybody that it's secured by the laws of mathematics. I have gotten a lot of people very interested in bitcoin, but I haven't gotten anybody to actually buy some yet. I found out about it on my own, and once I decided it wasn't some elaborate scam, I HAD to buy some because I thought they were so revolutionary.

Exactly the same situation here. I have 2 close friends and I talk to them about bitcoin a lot. It's fucking hard to explain to someone with close to no background. They only "trust" bitcoin because they know me for a along time and trust me. This gets them excited enough to acquire 50 or 150 bitcoins (I don't know their exact balances). I'm pretty sure if they had the same level of understanding that I have, they would try to get their hands on a lot more bitcoins.

Interestingly these 2 friends greatly differ in understanding money and the powers around it: the one just stubbornly holds on to his "real money" (fiat), the other one buys metal and even some survival stuff, wants to buy land. As different as their perception is about monetary issues in general, as united they are in not fully trusting bitcoin. Why? Because they do not understand it and I think the possibility that bitcoin is a huge well-done scam that even screwed over their close friend molecular still lurks in the back of their heads.

I think we might have use for an much longer "weusecoins" video that explains how bitcoin works in detail.

If only I knew how to explain it without losing people on the way.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:37:41 PM

My problem with explaining it is that it is too revolutionary. It has so many properties that I don't know where to start.
-Decentralized
--No central authority
---No central point of failure
---No inflation at said authority's whim
---Can't be taken down

-Relies on cryptography
--Can't be stolen no matter how good the excuse

-Pseudonymous
--Can be totally anonymous if done correctly

-Near-instant transactions
-Near-zero fees

-Open Source
--Tested by a large number of people
--Anyone can audit it or submit bugfixes

-Distributed fairly to those who help secure the network against attack
-Created at a predictable rate

-Blockchain enables many cool things like SatoshiDICE's provably fair gambling

Etc etc. That's a lot of meaningful points, and it's hard for people to get their heads around all of it.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 03:33:59 AM

My problem with explaining it is that it is too revolutionary. It has so many properties that I don't know where to start.

Yes, it's funny, this happens to me also, the damn thing is too brilliant.  It's a great floor wax and a delicious dessert topping, simultaneously.

I guess a better way to go about it would be to ask people a single question: what do you hate the most about your bank (or credit cards, or the financial system).  Then, depending on the answer, zero in and describe how Bitcoin solves that particular problem, without mentioning all the other benefits.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 04:00:23 AM

I think time will also help.  When Bitcoin is still around 10 years after genesis even those who don't understand exactly how it works but first heard about it in a CNBC snippet 7 years prior will have a little more confidence it isn't some pyramid scheme or HYIP.  SR also helps.  It is an "must have site" for some users and the only way they can pay is Bitcoin.  Not saying Bitcoin should rely on SR but having things that people want which require Bitcoins is useful.  People are more likely to try somethng new if they "have to" rather than just because "it isn't PayPal".
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 09:04:59 AM

-Decentralized
--No central authority
---No central point of failure
---No inflation at said authority's whim
---Can't be taken down

-Relies on cryptography
--Can't be stolen no matter how good the excuse

-Pseudonymous
--Can be totally anonymous if done correctly

-Near-instant transactions
-Near-zero fees

-Distributed fairly to those who help secure the network against attack
-Created at a predictable rate

-Blockchain enables many cool things like SatoshiDICE's provably fair gambling

Etc etc. That's a lot of meaningful points, and it's hard for people to get their heads around all of it.

yes, deathandtaxes, time will help. but I'm impatient and the fiat system might collapse sooner than later. We better be ready to jump in.

The above features of bitcoin I quoted are secondary properties (I removed opensource) that can be derived from the fundamental properties (what's in satoshis paper). Satoshis short paper alone is sufficient to figure these out.

I think it's much better to try to explain these "dry math fundamentals" and let people figure out the implications for themselves.  That's much more effective in my mind than yelling at them: "but, but, it's decentralized therefore no govt. can shut it down!". Maybe the specific individual targeted doesn't even put much weight on this (or any other) particular feature.

If only it wasn't so damn hard to understand! We're so deeply involved ourselves that we don't even appreciate how hard it is.

Like the mathematics professors usual answer when asked some comprehension question ("I don't understand this or that"): "What exactly don't you understand? It's all right there... trivial to see.". There's nothing "exactly" that isn't being understood by the confused student, it's the big picture he's missing. He's missing it because he doesn't see how the cogs and wheels all work together in concert because his mind doesn't yet have the capacity to hold all the detail info at once. He can see this cog driving that wheel or whatever and all the little details one at a time, but in the end, he understands exactly nothing. He doesn't see the woods for all the trees and it doesn't help to yell at him: "look: the woods, all the animals that thrive in it, isn't it beautiful?!".

He has to figure it all out by himself, in quiet mind, only then he will have his heureka moment and be able to appreciate the beauty and really trust the "secondary properties" that derive from the "boring" technical details.

yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 03:28:32 PM

So when is this book coming out?

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: