Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:20:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin confirmations times are taking over 4 EFFING HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 9412 times)
auswalk (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 04:11:04 PM

Well let's see, we are now at 12 hours and 0 confirmations. I'd saying soemthing is SERIOUSLY fucked up despite all the moron bitcoin appologists in this thread. This has NEVER happened to me before.

https://blockchain.info/tx/ed451475658e223faa12782abdd73eed08e0ed7f1a34799076cefa0104662aa3

Yes, something is seriously fucked up, and it is your fault.

If you wrote the program that sent the transaction, then you have a bug in your program.

If you used a wallet program to send the transaction, then you chose a poorly written wallet that has a bug in it.

Specifically:

At 2015-04-27 04:42:44 UTC you received a transaction for 2.142 BTC at address 1KfncRtWe8ycboDe1BAw4UyFBrgpZRHwpN with transaction ID b5f1a50f10ef314e4e8c6b92e15f1972c1757f78665ab3f3fe7d705b67370257

Whomever sent you that transaction failed to pay a transaction fee at all.  Therefore, their transaction has not yet confirmed.  That part isn't your fault, but you should contact the person that sent you that transaction and tell them that they screwed up.

Next comes the part that is your fault.

The transaction that you are complaining about spent that unconfirmed 2.142 BTC.  You should not be spending unconfirmed bitcoins.  There is a very real chance that the 2.142 BTC that you received will never confirm, especially if someone is attempting to create a competing transaction that uses the same inputs.

All you can do now is wait and hope that the 2.142 BTC confirms.

The transaction was sent to me by a third party. I had ZERO to do with it. I'm just sitting here waiting for it to be confirmed in my wallet. There is nothing more complicated than that. I appreciate all your input but I'm not sure if you are chasing a red herring here or what. All I know is that this sort of thing as NEVER happened before.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 04:25:20 PM
Merited by Foxpup (2)

The transaction was sent to me by a third party. I had ZERO to do with it. I'm just sitting here waiting for it to be confirmed in my wallet. There is nothing more complicated than that. I appreciate all your input but I'm not sure if you are chasing a red herring here or what. All I know is that this sort of thing as NEVER happened before.

Sorry, there's been a lot of shit to read though in this thread, so I missed the part where this was a transaction you are receiving and not one you are sending.

The person that sent the transaction to you either screwed up, or is intentionally attempting to send you a transaction that will never confirm.  It isn't possible to tell which it is from the information you've provided so far.

Specifically:

They spent unconfirmed funds in the transaction that they sent you.

This could happen accidentally if they are using a poorly written wallet.

It can also happen intentionally if they were hoping that you'd send them something of value before the transaction confirms. They would then have an opportunity to try to re-use the same inputs in a different transaction so that the transaction that they sent to you vanishes and ceases to exist if their competing transaction gets confirmed.

Contact whomever sent you the transaction.  Let them know that the  2.142 BTC that they received at address 1KfncRtWe8ycboDe1BAw4UyFBrgpZRHwpN were unconfirmed when they used those bitcoins in the transaction to you.  They should contact whomever sent them those 2.142 BTC and complain that the transaction didn't include a transaction fee and hasn't confirmed.

Let them know that their transaction to you WILL NOT confirm until AFTER the transaction where they received 2.142 BTC confirms.

auswalk (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 04:35:28 PM

Well let's see, we are now at 12 hours and 0 confirmations. I'd saying soemthing is SERIOUSLY fucked up despite all the moron bitcoin appologists in this thread. This has NEVER happened to me before.

https://blockchain.info/tx/ed451475658e223faa12782abdd73eed08e0ed7f1a34799076cefa0104662aa3

It was already explained to you. Someone a few transactions back feeding into yours (maybe it was you, maybe not) sent with no fee. If it wasn't you, you should complain to whoever sent you the coins you are trying to spend.

https://blockchain.info/tx/b5f1a50f10ef314e4e8c6b92e15f1972c1757f78665ab3f3fe7d705b67370257

I hope this is all it is. Sifting thru the morass of bullshit misinformation in this thread is hard to do. But Ive never had to wait 12 hours for a feeless transaction. And also in the transaction I see a fee of 0.0001 BTC so you are incorrect there.
dwma

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 04:35:42 PM

I sold someone some bitcoins last night. From my phone to his it took about 15 seconds before the transaction went through.

You are trading a derivative/IOU not real BTC.  
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 04:36:58 PM

It was already explained to you. Someone a few transactions back feeding into yours (maybe it was you, maybe not) sent with no fee. If it wasn't you, you should complain to whoever sent you the coins you are trying to spend.

https://blockchain.info/tx/b5f1a50f10ef314e4e8c6b92e15f1972c1757f78665ab3f3fe7d705b67370257

I hope this is all it is. Sifting thru the morass of bullshit misinformation in this thread is hard to do. But Ive never had to wait 12 hours for a feeless transaction. And also in the transaction I see a fee of 0.0001 BTC so you are incorrect there.

Click through the link in my post. That is an earlier transaction in the chain leading to yours. It has no fee.

Every earlier transaction feeding into yours must confirm before yours can.

auswalk (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 04:38:10 PM

Sorry, there's been a lot of shit to read though in this thread, so I missed the part where this was a transaction you are receiving and not one you are sending.

The person that sent the transaction to you either screwed up, or is intentionally attempting to send you a transaction that will never confirm.  It isn't possible to tell which it is from the information you've provided so far.

Specifically:

It can also happen intentionally if they were hoping that you'd send them something of value before the transaction confirms. They would then have an opportunity to try to re-use the same inputs in a different transaction so that the transaction that they sent to you vanishes and ceases to exist if their competing transaction gets confirmed.

Contact whomever sent you the transaction.  Let them know that the  2.142 BTC that they received at address 1KfncRtWe8ycboDe1BAw4UyFBrgpZRHwpN were unconfirmed when they used those bitcoins in the transaction to you.  They should contact whomever sent them those 2.142 BTC and complain that the transaction didn't include a transaction fee and hasn't confirmed.

Let them know that their transaction to you WILL NOT confirm until AFTER the transaction where they received 2.142 BTC confirms.

I contacted them about the transaction and said it hasn't confirmed after 12 hours. I'll keep this thead updated on the progress. thanks
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 04:48:04 PM

Yeah this is the culprit -> 1KfncRtWe8ycboDe1BAw4UyFBrgpZRHwpN

What happens if the 0 fee transaction in it gets dropped? Or it can't get dropped?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 04:48:24 PM
Merited by Foxpup (2)

Specifically:

I contacted them about the transaction and said it hasn't confirmed after 12 hours. I'll keep this thead updated on the progress. thanks

No problem.

A quick word about honey and vinegar...

A simple, "Someone sent me a transaction and it hasn't confirmed yet, can someone please help me and explain what is happening?" would have gotten you much more useful help much faster than "I've moved money and it's taken over 4 FUCKNG HOURS . . . WHAT IN THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE GODDAMN NETWORK . . . A fucking 300 baud modem could move data faster . . . unacccepptable epic bullshit on every level"

Also, can you please show me where you stated that this is a transaction that you are RECEIVING?  I've reviewed your posts in this thread, and I stand by my initial post claiming that this was a transaction you are sending.  Your very first post states "I've moved money", and I don't see a later post where you clarify that it isn't actually you moving the money.  Perhaps I've overlooked in amongst all the noise in the thread?
onewiseguy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 04:49:14 PM

This is the second time in 2 days I've moved money and it's taken over 4 FUCKNG HOURS. .0001 BTC Fee. Pardon my french BUT WHAT IN THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE GODDAMN NETWORK that this is occuring? A fucking 300 baud modem could move data faster than this.

This is total unacccepptable epic bullshit on every level. You think bitcoin will go to 0 cents in the future? Well keep up this bullshit.

increase tran Fee and you will have no problems.
if you use blockchain.info you can set it to use high transaction fee. to confirm your transfer faster.
No need to yell
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 05:05:59 PM

There is no world-wide money transfer system that settles transaction faster than those 4 hours. Well, Bitcoin and its clones are most of the time much faster. If you are willing to accept the risc of chargebacks, you should accept 0-confirmation transactions.

The present system is clearly indequate for consumer use. An escow service like visa will be required.
If confirmation time is a big issue with you then you should research instant tx coins and other means.

these so called instant tx coins, as far as I know, rely on trusted nodes...they are not fully decentralized.

tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 05:33:53 PM

These situations come up from time to time.  I'm sure they have turned off more than one person from using Bitcoin. If we want Bitcoin to succeed it will have to be easy to use by non-technical people, so calling people names, etc., is not going to be a productive course of action.  Rather, we should try to understand what happened and take steps to make these kinds of problems rare and non-mysterious.

Here's my understanding of what happened:

1. Person 1 sent a  first transaction with zero fee that has yet to confirm.
2. Person 2 sent a second transaction that had as input the first transaction.
3. Person 3 (the OP) received the second transaction and is worried that this transaction is not confirming.

Here's my diagnosis:There were three mistakes involved.  Person 1 should not have made a transaction with zero fee. Person 2 should not have sent a second transaction with unconfirmed inputs. Person 3 should not have gotten upset at Bitcoin.

There may be legitimate reasons for expert users to broadcast zero fee transactions, but these should not affect ordinary users.  Similarly, there may be legitimate reasons for expert users to broadcast transactions with unconfirmed inputs, but these should not affect ordinary users.  This creates a problem when expert users send these unusual transactions to ordinary users, witness the present thread. New wallet software can make it impossible for ordinary users to send non-standard transactions, but this can not be a total solution to the problem because of older software and possibly malicious users sending suspect payments.

If wallet software issued warnings at appropriate times, then these kinds of miscues would be easy to diagnose and the appropriate blame could be laid on the users running non-standard and/or buggy software. I suggest something like:

1. A warning before broadcasting a transaction that has sub-standard (or zero) fees.
2. A warning upon receiving a payment that has sub-standard or zero fees, which warning remains until such time as the payment gets confirmed.
3. A warning before broadcasting a transaction that uses unconfirmed inputs.
4. A warning upon receiving a payment that has unconfirmed inputs, which warning remains until such time as the inputs are confirmed.

With the appropriate warnings, Person 3 would have complained to Person 2, Person 2 to Person 1.  In addition Person 2 and Person 3 would be on notice not to ship physical goods, etc., based on suspect payments.
auswalk (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:39:26 PM

I thought this guy was a troll but actually he is just retarded. So I will quote myself.

Hello Auswalk,

Regarding your lack of understanding of how bitcoin works and what a community is, I recommend you to convert all your bitcoins to fiat immediately and stay away from bitcoins.

Bitcoin is obviously not for you.

Best regards.

If bitcoin ain't for me asshole, it ain't for you or 99.99999% of the population. I'm a computer scientist. What has happened here, shit for brains, is the someone has sent me money that was previously unconfirmed and may never be confirmed. And I'm stuck holding the bag.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:42:15 PM

If bitcoin ain't for me asshole, it ain't for you or 99.99999% of the population. I'm a computer scientist. What has happened here, shit for brains, is the someone has sent me money that was previously unconfirmed and may never be confirmed. And I'm stuck holding the bag.

You're only stuck holding the bag if you provided them with something of value in exchange for that unconfirmed transaction. (Which would be a mistake on your part in this situation).

If you made sure that the transaction was confirmed before you gave anything of value, then person that sent you the transaction is "left holding the bag", since they are the one that used an unconfirmed output in their transaction.
auswalk (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:49:01 PM

You're not making any sense. THis is in an online poker site. I xfered money in, played, and now I'm withdrawing and stuck will this bullshit situation.
auswalk (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:50:39 PM

Yeah this is the culprit -> 1KfncRtWe8ycboDe1BAw4UyFBrgpZRHwpN

What happens if the 0 fee transaction in it gets dropped? Or it can't get dropped?
[/quote

Here's my question- this 0 fee culprit, it has to be confirmed at somepoint unless something else is wrong yes? I mean it's been 12+ hours and still no miner has confirmed it? I'm suspecting something more is at play here.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 08:55:29 PM

-snip-
Bitcoin is obviously not for you.
-snip-

Bitcoin is for everyone. Please stay on topic.

You're not making any sense. THis is in an online poker site. I xfered money in, played, and now I'm withdrawing and stuck will this bullshit situation.

Probably because Danny has to guess, a common guess is that you traded goods for the amount you will receive in the future. What online poker site are we talking about? They should definitly fix their software.

-snip-
Here's my question- this 0 fee culprit, it has to be confirmed at somepoint unless something else is wrong yes? I mean it's been 12+ hours and still no miner has confirmed it? I'm suspecting something more is at play here.

Its indeed strange that it has not been confirmed yet, because it has a high (value) input of 3 BTC and thus a high priority, which usually makes it fine to be spend without fee unless you expect the TX to get confirmed fast.

I tried rebroadcasting the TX a couple of times, but aparently it did nothing.

If anyone wants to help:

https://blockchain.info/tx/b5f1a50f10ef314e4e8c6b92e15f1972c1757f78665ab3f3fe7d705b67370257?format=hex

Code:
0100000001dc2128607ae5283e15b5b002c43a799867b68b24fe987e638a4cc9fe3b6df986000000006b483045022100d744b62e6c55ec071b5d69eb627e34b5c3fc57c3e75d5487d348c3a678658cd60220765b40e41996e3f7392b9136819c3babf838d59e14c06fe33c3315e157573b3f012103dcac1a49da49e8068c65aaa99423f634a82fd2e58e340c0a981f01eb2852e417ffffffff0240341d05000000001976a914ca56a7ea835b0d428dc42727962eb0763618083788acc06ec40c000000001976a914ccc82509507c698b9c70db09df033cd9c7ea0da588ac00000000

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
auswalk (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:58:11 PM

Thanks for your help.

The poker site is betcoin.ag
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:17:17 PM

It is unusual for a 3 btc transaction to be unconfirmed for so long even without a fee. May be all large pools decided to put a quota on transactions with no fee. They want to force senders to pay a higher fee.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:29:14 PM
Merited by Foxpup (1)

I'm not making any sense because you keep changing your story.

Clearly betcoin.ag has a bug in their software.  This is not Bitcoin's fault.  This is not the community's fault.

If you don't like the way betcoin.ag runs their company then you should stop using their services and warn others not to use their services.  If people continue to reward them for their shoddy service by giving them business, then they'll have no incentive to improve.

You gave money to betcoin.ag.

betcoin.ag failed to pay you properly when you withdrew money from your betcoin.ag account.  Complain to them and their customer service.  There isn't anything any of us can do to fix their shoddy code.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 10:59:32 PM

It is unusual for a 3 btc transaction to be unconfirmed for so long even without a fee. May be all large pools decided to put a quota on transactions with no fee. They want to force senders to pay a higher fee.
If you run Bitcoin Core 0.10 you can ask it what priority would be needed to (usually) get into a block within say 30 blocks (5 hours). I tried to do that earlier but had trouble accessing my node.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: