Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin  (Read 582 times)
Ago_Solvo (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 01:49:20 AM

Well, I have to post something in order to reach other areas of the forum, and I've been wondering about this for a while and never saw a clear explanation.  Now I understand that with our wallet, we can create more receiving addresses for bitcoin transactions, but when we send bitcoins, isn't it tied to just one address regardless of how many extra addresses you have?  If not, how do you send under a different address if all your bitcoins are lumped together?  This is fairly confusing to me, and I never heard an explanation, at least not a simple one.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 02:01:52 AM

Good question. I would like to know too.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 02:03:14 AM

Well, I have to post something in order to reach other areas of the forum, and I've been wondering about this for a while and never saw a clear explanation.  Now I understand that with our wallet, we can create more receiving addresses for bitcoin transactions, but when we send bitcoins, isn't it tied to just one address regardless of how many extra addresses you have?  If not, how do you send under a different address if all your bitcoins are lumped together?  This is fairly confusing to me, and I never heard an explanation, at least not a simple one.
The most simple explanation is no explanation.

There isn't a reason why the average user needs to know what the Bitcoin client does. That is unnecessarily confusing, and confused me greatly when I first learned about Bitcoin way back. I made this picture to show what I believe should be used in lieu of all the explanations used today:

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 02:13:42 AM

To a certain extent it depends on what wallet you use.  There are several different wallet programs you can run on your computer, and there are several online wallet providers as well.  They don't all handle this in the same way.

As for the rather standard Bitcoin-qt program, you don't get to choose which address the coins are sent from.  The client program chooses for you and lumps together coins from as many addresses as it needs to to come up with the number of coins needed.  This means that by using the wallet program, you really can't tell how many coins are stored in each address.  As a matter of fact, when sending coins, the client will frequently gather up more coins than are needed for the transaction and then send the extra back to your wallet as "change" to a new address it creates but doesn't tell you about.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 02:17:03 AM

There are no addresses.  Only transactions.

When you spend, you are spending a transaction that you hold the key to.  That transaction had previously been sent to an address that corresponds to a key you have, but the spend isn't from the address, it is from other transactions.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 02:25:02 AM

When you spend, you are spending a transaction that you hold the key to.
Are you sure about this?  I didn't think that the wallet contained keys to transactions?  I thought that the "address" was a representation of a public key, and that the private key your wallet holds is a private key to that public key(address).

That transaction had previously been sent to an address that corresponds to a key you have, but the spend isn't from the address, it is from other transactions.
Explaining it this way seems likely to cause some confusion since the transactions that you can spend are transactions to addresses for which you hold the private key.  This means that you can't spend a transaction unless it is to an address represented in your wallet, and as such, you are spending the "contents" of an address.  This would seem to indicate that the spend is from addresses.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 02:29:58 AM

Are you sure about this?  I didn't think that the wallet contained keys to transactions?  I thought that the "address" was a representation of a public key, and that the private key your wallet holds is a private key to that public key(address).

That transaction had previously been sent to an address that corresponds to a key you have, but the spend isn't from the address, it is from other transactions.
Explaining it this way seems likely to cause some confusion since the transactions that you can spend are transactions to addresses for which you hold the private key.  This means that you can't spend a transaction unless it is to an address represented in your wallet, and as such, you are spending the "contents" of an address.  This would seem to indicate that the spend is from addresses.
Clients pick transactions (to be more exact, "outputs") as inputs. Each output requires a signature with the proper key.

Again, the confusion is guarenteed at such a low level. That's why I propose using the simple explanation for the average user. The average Joe does not need to know what function is called when he presses the Start menu, only what it does.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 02:51:16 AM

Clients pick transactions (to be more exact, "outputs") as inputs. Each output requires a signature with the proper key. . .
And that "proper key" is the private key to the "address" that the output was sent to.  So the client is choosing outputs from addresses to use as inputs, and then signing the transaction with the key to the addresses.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 03:03:04 AM

Saying that there are no addresses is a slight exaggeration.  But a useful one.  Smile and think of the kid from the Matrix telling Neo that there is no spoon, while he is holding a spoon.

Lots of people get stuck in their thinking because they expect the address to be a proper entity that tracks the balance sent to and from it.

Your balance is the sum of the values of the transactions that you can spend, that is, transactions that you have the key to, and that haven't already been spent.  When you make a new spend, the client grabs one or more of them, completes them using private keys from your wallet, and creates one or more new outputs.

And yes, the private key is just a random number, the public key is just derived from multiplication (funny multiplication) from that private key, and the address is the hash of the (hash of the) public key.

If you want to really get into it, transaction outputs are actually scripts.  Addresses are used to create the (incomplete) scripts, and then redeeming them later involves adding the missing parts to complete it.  To complete the script, you sign the partial transaction with your private key and provide the public key that corresponds to it.  That way, anyone can verify that the script was signed by the holder of the private key that corresponds to the public key in the completion, and they can also hash the public key to get the address that it was sent to, to verify that the keypair used to sign it is the keypair that it was intended to go to.  Oh, except that there are other script types, and BIP16 P2SH lets you make complicated scripts that are presented at completion instead of at creation, and...

Really, dree12's chart explains it all very well.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: