Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:32:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: butterflylabs.com - any comment about your ASIC progress?  (Read 6852 times)
ursa

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 11:21:29 AM

BFL has never used second hand or refurbished FPGAs.

Any comments on the original question? How are you getting on with ASIC development?

The old lady from QC is still soldering the transistors for the ASIC....give her a break...she's old....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 04:30:40 PM

Also anyone buying shares from these mining companies are taking away the whole point of Bitcoin "Decentralized currency for the people by the people"

if asicminer is succeed, the bitcoiners around the whole world will get cheaper asic rigs. It's the best way to secure the bitcoin network rather than rely on BFL alone. I think that's what you mean "by the people".

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
ice_chill

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 04:38:11 PM

Also anyone buying shares from these mining companies are taking away the whole point of Bitcoin "Decentralized currency for the people by the people"

if asicminer is succeed, the bitcoiners around the whole world will get cheaper asic rigs. It's the best way to secure the bitcoin network rather than rely on BFL alone. I think that's what you mean "by the people".

As I understand from what they wrote, their plan is to use your finances from buying shares to create ASIC, then mine on it themselves, once the difficulty goes up to a point that selling ASIC hardware is more profitable than mining on it, then they will start selling it.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 04:46:15 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2012, 04:56:35 PM by HorseRider

As I understand from what they wrote, their plan is to use your finances from buying shares to create ASIC, then mine on it themselves

yes.

but bitcoin community will get cheap asic rigs at the end.

until now it's still risky investment, and I think this is very good timing to say that we are taking risks and a initial higher mining payback is fair as a compensation for the risk.

I think for the BFL customers, as they essentially are taking the risks for the BFL R&D (if BFL fails they will run, as ngzhang speculated), it's fair for the BFL customers to use the rigs first and BFL promise not to mine first. (is there any such promise?)

once the difficulty goes up to a point that selling ASIC hardware is more profitable than mining on it, then they will start selling it.

no.

ASICMINER will be selling the rigs before that, in my understanding.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 04:50:59 PM

As I understand from what they wrote, their plan is to use your finances from buying shares to create ASIC, then mine on it themselves, once the difficulty goes up to a point that selling ASIC hardware is more profitable than mining on it, then they will start selling it.

Yes and no. They do mining, but the purpose is both for profit and quality control. The first batch of chips is a prototype and expected to underperform (every first design usually underperforms, I expect the same from BFL, hope they are already working on a trade-in program for the underperforming first gen ASIC Wink ), so they will test them in the field and improve the chip design. Then they stamp out the second and improved batch and sell those to the miners. But they keep their (limited) mining operation as quality assessment tool.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 04:47:08 PM

Will there be a power adaptor splitter a bit like Enterpoint has done, so if someone has 5 or 10 SC Japalenos or Singles, then they don't have to use 5 or 10 power adaptors taking up just as many power sockets ?
DutchBrat

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 04:54:50 PM

Will there be a power adaptor splitter a bit like Enterpoint has done, so if someone has 5 or 10 SC Japalenos or Singles, then they don't have to use 5 or 10 power adaptors taking up just as many power sockets ?

Let's first see some Jalapenos and Singles in the wild, then worry about power adaptor splitters  Cheesy
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 07:52:30 PM

Cablez makes some PCIe power adapters for the current Single, allowing you to string together multiple Singles on a standard ATX PSU. This uses fewer wall plugs, and a 80Plus Gold PSU will use less power than the inefficient bricks the Singles ship with.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Fanatic

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 09:18:04 PM

I expect the same from BFL, hope they are already working on a trade-in program for the underperforming first gen ASIC Wink ), so they will test them in the field and improve the chip design. Then they stamp out the second and improved batch and sell those to the miners. But they keep their (limited) mining operation as quality assessment tool.

there is another way: for example the first "underperforming gen" is 25% slower, but they still can add 25% more chips per unit to keep the speed as promissed! They will have less profit, but more reputation.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 09:27:28 PM

I expect the same from BFL, hope they are already working on a trade-in program for the underperforming first gen ASIC Wink ), so they will test them in the field and improve the chip design. Then they stamp out the second and improved batch and sell those to the miners. But they keep their (limited) mining operation as quality assessment tool.

there is another way: for example the first "underperforming gen" is 25% slower, but they still can add 25% more chips per unit to keep the speed as promissed! They will have less profit, but more reputation.

that implies a 25% increase in power consumption.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 10:03:48 PM

BFL has never used second hand or refurbished FPGAs.

Any comments on the original question? How are you getting on with ASIC development?

+1
Snapman

Activity: 291

BTCRadio Owner

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 02:40:12 AM

There are no competitors, there were some FPGA alternatives but no-one could match BFL in performance/price. So I doubt anyone will match it with ASIC.

Well meet these guys : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0

They delivered more Proof than BFL and are on schedule. If they start selling then there will be competition.

They have never delivered a product and just talk so far, look at Enterpoint, their product info and pictures looked great, people bought the board only to realize it does not work as they hoped, now a wopping 6 months later there are finally some Bitstream that are actually capable of delivering the expected performance (did I mentioned they also had some hardware errors and mistakes when they designed it) but this is FPGA, ASIC is even more complicated.
Atleast BFL has a track record of delivering something that works out of the box.

Thats the point, lining us all up for the long con. Especially when people send in their trade ins for ASICS, and they make a run for it with loads of usd/btc & fgpa hardware.

BTCRadio: 17cafKShokyQCbaNuzaDo5HLoSnffMNPAs
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 03:08:06 AM

Well unless it could be fixed with firmware updates...... I would say mislead...... not scammed... Scammed ='s Money going in and nothing coming out Cheesy If they send you a 1.9 Ghash/s coffee warmer instead of a 3.5gh/s coffee warmer... Well suck it up.... Smiley

Profit wise it would make no difference at all, as ASIC will make GPU and FPGA unnoticeable competitors, so it will only be ASIC vs ASIC.

If all their products are 50% underspec, then all it means is that difficulty will go up 49% less than expected, so in the end the profit will be the same.

good point
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 03:14:34 AM

Well unless it could be fixed with firmware updates...... I would say mislead...... not scammed... Scammed ='s Money going in and nothing coming out Cheesy If they send you a 1.9 Ghash/s coffee warmer instead of a 3.5gh/s coffee warmer... Well suck it up.... Smiley

Profit wise it would make no difference at all, as ASIC will make GPU and FPGA unnoticeable competitors, so it will only be ASIC vs ASIC.

If all their products are 50% underspec, then all it means is that difficulty will go up 49% less than expected, so in the end the profit will be the same.

good point

That's a good point, but only if BFL ASICs make up 99% of the market. Considering we have 20TH/s without ASICs, and there are already ASIC competitors announcing products (some this very night), I don't think that's going to be the case.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Frequency

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

COINDER

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 11:06:32 PM

Let's first see some Jalapenos and Singles in the wild, then worry about power adaptor splitters  Cheesy

+1

COINDER
COINDER
psilan

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 12:28:30 AM

Thats the point, lining us all up for the long con.

Clearly this guy knows what he's talking about...

dip
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 01:57:35 PM

Takes a scammer to know a scammer?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 03:08:58 PM

I bet not much credence would have been given to Snapman's post if he wasn't tagged. One of the rare times sad tag comes in handy.

~Bruno~
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:13:22 PM

PEW PEW PEW!

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
psilan

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 06:32:38 PM

Maybe, more that his word means nothing.

dip
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: