Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:12:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining newb here, looking for rig advice.  (Read 814 times)
NestEggNessy (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 05:00:28 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2012, 08:56:40 PM by NestEggNessy

Hey all, im sort of new to this forum but ive been lurking for a bit.

Anyways, ive been running guiminer from my windows pc for the past month of august using a single card set up: Asus hd6850 overclocked getting my about 220 mhash which is mounted on my asus M4A88T-M. This set up has been very stable without any crashes or similar incidents although one night deepbit did crash (maybe ddos?) and i lost about 10 hours worth of mining from that before i realized.

Anyways anways my question revolves around my interest to upgrade my rig. My mobo is a micro edition of asus's higher up mobos and only has one pci 2.0 slot but two pci 1.0 slots. I want to get two 5830's that i found that are $99 but i want to make sure that they will run along side the 6850 i have and also make sure that they wont fry my mobo for any reason since its so small.

I've lurked a lot but i cant find anyone using the same mobo or how to properly set up a rig using different cards. Apart from that im sure ill have to upgrade my psu from the 500w i have to maybe a 750w or 800w but im not ready to upgrade my mobo and would rather see a small profit before january when the reward rate drops.

Any help/advice would be awesome, thanks!

**edit** said i had the 6950 when i actually have the 6850, lols

Send tips/spare change/payment for crazy videos over here 1FCFaPA6XESaQnJNVYYy458HLa44N3Lxth
ericrw14

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 05:10:36 PM

i do not know about the actual question, but i wanted to tell you that a 6950 should be getting at least 350mh/s https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison i would first look to see what others are doing to get the substantially more megahash than you
NestEggNessy (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 05:17:29 PM

i do not know about the actual question, but i wanted to tell you that a 6950 should be getting at least 350mh/s https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison i would first look to see what others are doing to get the substantially more megahash than you

I did see that other people were getting way more m/hash than me but i couldn't message them/reply to the thread because of my newb status :/

Send tips/spare change/payment for crazy videos over here 1FCFaPA6XESaQnJNVYYy458HLa44N3Lxth
50BTC.com

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

PPS pool

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 05:23:29 PM

Cards will work in pci-e x1 without problem, use pci-e raisers like this:

Also, you may need to shortcut 2 pins in pce-e x1 to make it work:

I did see that other people were getting way more m/hash than me but i couldn't message them/reply to the thread because of my newb status :/
Try to write "-v -w 128" to extra flags field

50btc.com - PPS pool, instant payout (Visa, Liberty Reserve, QIWI, Yandex.Money, WebMoney,...), API, fast and responsible support, pay for stale shares.
ericrw14

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 05:25:26 PM

well i will try to help, with gui miner are you using the flags -v -w 128 ?, those are the flags used for most of the cards on the hardware comparison.

edit: darn, 50BTC beat me :p
NestEggNessy (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 05:39:36 PM

well i will try to help, with gui miner are you using the flags -v -w 128 ?, those are the flags used for most of the cards on the hardware comparison.

edit: darn, 50BTC beat me :p

Ah i havent done this, ill have to try as soon as i get home (dang splashtop wont connect over super slow university connection)
Thanks though!

NestEggNessy (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 06:04:28 PM

Cards will work in pci-e x1 without problem, use pci-e raisers like this:

Also, you may need to shortcut 2 pins in pce-e x1 to make it work:

Try to write "-v -w 128" to extra flags field

Thanks for the tips, im just wondering how complicated/risky is the  process of shortcutting those pins? I dont have much hardware experience other than the only pc i've built which is the one im using now.

50BTC.com

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

PPS pool

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 07:06:54 PM

It's not risky if you will do it accurate. Perhaps it is not even necessary on your MB, should first try without it.

50btc.com - PPS pool, instant payout (Visa, Liberty Reserve, QIWI, Yandex.Money, WebMoney,...), API, fast and responsible support, pay for stale shares.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: