Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:09:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If you were to recreate Bitcoin to be better and more secure. How would you?  (Read 2330 times)
FifthGhostbuster (OP)

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2015, 11:09:56 PM

Hey BitCoin enthusiasts, I am trying to figure out if it is possible or if people even want a better BTC. If so how would you go about doing this.

1. Looking for ideas including, making it fair for everyone in bitcoin possibly sending to a switch address and receiving the same amount of the new coin?
2. What type of algo you think is best.
3. How many coins?
4. other features the coin can do. (Ex. AI,science,ETC)

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Go CureCoin!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2015, 11:11:04 PM

Cryptonote
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 28, 2015, 11:28:14 PM

Cryptonote

AFAIK, Cryptonote cleans the old transactions, which is not good to keep evidence. Probably good for anonymity though...
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2015, 11:32:06 PM

better and more secure? I would make it so that every transaction has to go through my permission. That way bad actors can't possibly do anything, not even a 51% attack Cheesy
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 28, 2015, 11:32:42 PM

Eliminate the possibility of a 51% attack...

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 28, 2015, 11:39:16 PM

Hey BitCoin enthusiasts, I am trying to figure out if it is possible or if people even want a better BTC. If so how would you go about doing this.

I am not sure it is possible. I would want to make bitcoin ASIC proof, so mining could be more distributed.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 12:03:16 AM

Reward halving to be only 1/3 or 1/4, that will not change the limited total supply but smooth out the distribution phase. Current reward halving scheme is just too steep that causes large appreciation expectation in general

R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 12:27:06 AM

I am not sure it is possible. I would want to make bitcoin ASIC proof, so mining could be more distributed.

Is that even physically possible?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 12:33:12 AM

how?

FifthGhostbuster (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 12:40:32 AM

Reward halving to be only 1/3 or 1/4, that will not change the limited total supply but smooth out the distribution phase. Current reward halving scheme is just too steep that causes large appreciation expectation in general

Would you mind going into more detail with this? Are you thinking of a 2 year approach like litecoin is doing?

So far the only implimentation of asic proof I have seen is with CureCoin using protein folding as mining. Do you have any other ideas on how to do this?

There have been many ways implemented to solve this one include POS minting. What do you think is best?

Cryptonote

AFAIK, Cryptonote cleans the old transactions, which is not good to keep evidence. Probably good for anonymity though...

Some financial investments require old transactions for proof of transaction. How would you propose to make anonymity and visible users happy in this case?

Go CureCoin!
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 01:07:51 AM

So far the only implimentation of asic proof I have seen is with CureCoin using protein folding as mining. Do you have any other ideas on how to do this?

Why is protein folding ASIC-resistant?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 01:09:46 AM

I think it's pretty difficult to make Bitcoin really "more secure" in any way. The core principles remain intact, still. There hasn't been a single occurrence of the Bitcoin core principles failing or allowing a fraudulent transaction. Making Wallets and computer systems safer is a whole other story, and I don't think that changes to Bitcoin can do anything to tackle those problems, unfortunately...

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:12:26 AM

Slower halvings, so the extreme early adopters would not have such huge advantage, like happened with BTC
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 07:25:30 AM

how?

this is something that may work well for now, is an idea about a code to be added just in case

Something like "ignore a longer chain orphaning the current best chain if the sum(priorities of transactions included in new chain) is much less than sum(priorities of transactions in the part of the current best chain that would be orphaned)" would mean a 51% attacker would have to have both lots of hashing power AND lots of old, high-priority bitcoins to keep up a transaction-denial-of-service attack. And they'd pretty quickly run out of old, high-priority bitcoins and would be forced to either include other people's transactions or have their chain rejected.

http://gavintech.blogspot.it/2012/05/neutralizing-51-attack.html
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 06:48:49 PM

how?

this is something that may work well for now, is an idea about a code to be added just in case

Something like "ignore a longer chain orphaning the current best chain if the sum(priorities of transactions included in new chain) is much less than sum(priorities of transactions in the part of the current best chain that would be orphaned)" would mean a 51% attacker would have to have both lots of hashing power AND lots of old, high-priority bitcoins to keep up a transaction-denial-of-service attack. And they'd pretty quickly run out of old, high-priority bitcoins and would be forced to either include other people's transactions or have their chain rejected.

Couldn't they just get around that by doing their own high priority transactions?

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 06:58:09 PM

I think Bitcoin is really well thought out, and changing things as the halving rate wouldn't make it better or more secure in any way... I'd just leave it as it is Smiley
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 06:58:56 PM

how?

Couldn't they just get around that by doing their own high priority transactions?

it will be a war in the end, to who will connect to more nodes, like satoshi said about transaction confirmation
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 08:48:09 PM

Make it fully anonymous, possibly like Dogecoin.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
FifthGhostbuster (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 12:50:47 AM

If there was a way to develop Bitcoin with QT built in 2FA option sending a text code to withdrawal funds but only if phone numbers could be stored decentrally.

This would make a great addition.

how?

it will be a war in the end, to who will connect to more nodes, like satoshi said about transaction confirmation

This is the truth. =/

So you are looking for ideas to create ANOTHER shitcoin ... ?

No there are plenty of those. I am attempting to create a proposal for the BTC foundation. It wouldnt be for a few years, but time will tell that btc is not perfect and things need to change. Just trying to think about it early.

how?

Very interesting. =p thank you

Slower halvings, so the extreme early adopters would not have such huge advantage, like happened with BTC

Would you mind explaining how this would help?

I think it's pretty difficult to make Bitcoin really "more secure" in any way. The core principles remain intact, still. There hasn't been a single occurrence of the Bitcoin core principles failing or allowing a fraudulent transaction. Making Wallets and computer systems safer is a whole other story, and I don't think that changes to Bitcoin can do anything to tackle those problems, unfortunately...

The only thing I have seen and it has occured over 17 times. is gigahash.io getting over the 51% mark and holding for an amount of time.

Why is protein folding ASIC-resistant?

Protein folding require heavy rendering from cpu and gpu's. So some really big super computer's atm are the closest thing to an asic for it.

Go CureCoin!
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 01:07:47 AM

If you were to recreate Bitcoin to be better and more secure. How would you?
Bitcoin has perfect security and I would change nothing. Everything we need can and will be built on top of the protocol foundation layer we call "the blockchain"/Bitcoin.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: