Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:53:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Huffington Post Live - Roger Ver and Brian Armstrong  (Read 1981 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 05:23:06 PM

Last night Huffington Post Live did a video segment on Bitcoin. BitInstant's Roger Ver and CoinBase's Brian Armstrong were there to reprazent. Also, the "Austrian" Neils Van Der Linden (famous for last year's "Don't Buy Bitcoin") YouTube video was there to demonstrate his lack of understanding regarding Mises' Regression Theorem (he doesn't yet know that he doesn't know what he's talking about).

The host quickly noticed that she was the only female  Tongue

Watch the video:
http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/5037b5b402a76066bd0000da

yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 05:26:34 PM

Already a thread on this;

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=103929.0

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 05:43:20 PM

Last night Huffington Post Live did a video segment on Bitcoin. BitInstant's Roger Ver and CoinBase's Brian Armstrong were there to reprazent. Also, the "Austrian" Neils Van Der Linden (famous for last year's "Don't Buy Bitcoin") YouTube video was there to demonstrate his lack of understanding regarding Mises' Regression Theorem (he doesn't yet know that he doesn't know what he's talking about).

The host quickly noticed that she was the only female  Tongue

Watch the video:
http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/5037b5b402a76066bd0000da

Thanks for the link.  This one actually works.
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 05:51:52 PM

I think big press events still deserve a thread in the main forum, though they're all archived in the News subforum.

Besides, this was relevant not just for the "news" but for the community members involved Smiley
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 07:12:31 PM

I was disappointed we didn't hear a proposal for carrot-coin.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 08:25:23 PM

Just watched the whole thing. That was BRILLIANT!

I have to say Roger Ver (Memory Dealers / BitInstant) and Brian Armstrong (CoinBase) are definitely top choices for representing Bitcoin.

Brian Armstrong nailed the deflationary objection from the guest "economist". Nice job guys!
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 09:56:49 PM

Just watched the whole thing. That was BRILLIANT!

I have to say Roger Ver (Memory Dealers / BitInstant) and Brian Armstrong (CoinBase) are definitely top choices for representing Bitcoin.

Brian Armstrong nailed the deflationary objection from the guest "economist". Nice job guys!

Seconded!  Those guys make great evangelists.  The only tiny thing I would change was Roger's emphasis on the word mathematics, which for a general non-geek audience is likely to be a turn off, we need some kind of alternative catchphrase there.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:41:00 PM

The only tiny thing I would change was Roger's emphasis on the word mathematics, which for a general non-geek audience is likely to be a turn off, we need some kind of alternative catchphrase there.

I disagree. I just watched Roger introducing it again. He first references it like this:

"...guaranteed by the laws of mathematics rather than the laws of men."

I think that's a huge win. Everyone, including non-geeks, understands math is basically beyond question. If something doesn't compute mathematically there is an error somewhere, anywhere except for the math because irregular math means irregular physics aka not reality. That's a strong endorsement for Bitcoin.

So the host immediately responds with:

"Everything you just said makes sense to me because I did a lot of research ... but in layman's terms that's confusing, because it brings up the concept of algorithms, correct? And the sort of basic math that has to exist for bitcoins to be created on computers ... it is confusing would you agree?"

And Roger replies brilliantly:

"Right, but for the average person who is just interested in buying and selling things around the world or with other people they don't need to worry about that. All they need to know about bitcoins is it's 100% mathematically impossible for anyone to be able to block you from sending or receiving your bitcoins with anyone in the entire world, and that's a revolutionary thing."
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:43:45 PM

I suppose using a MAC was absolutely required  Roll Eyes

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 11:25:50 PM

Well, as a promotion I think it was very very good. No need to nitpick.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1155

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 12:47:01 AM

I would like to add that Erik Voorhees also does a fantastic job with interviews.
His style is much calmer than mine.

Some examples here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvRRrJRhrlA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=088le0gCh-0

If anyone has other major media interview requests,  I am happy to help any time.

thebitcoinreview.com

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 02:05:27 AM

I think big press events still deserve a thread in the main forum, though they're all archived in the News subforum.

Besides, this was relevant not just for the "news" but for the community members involved Smiley
yes, I would of missed this if it didn't pop-up on this main forum.

pretty cool, but it felt like the show was just getting started and then... its over... damn i really wanted to see the guy in the yellow shirt get shot-down you know  Tongue
dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 04:32:47 AM

Sorry to say but that segment was terrible for the layperson. If that segment was my introduction to Bitcoin, I would have been confused out of my mind. Why didn't they give some kind of introduction to Bitcoin before the interviews?  Huh

Also, the hostess was pretty bad. Saying you don't know about the subject you are interviewing about makes you sound weak and makes it sound like you shouldn't be doing the interviews at all.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 05:11:31 AM

Nice job Roger!  You really got a nice solid hit with your first point about things being backed up by what is possible and impossible with mathematics I thought.  I think that that is one of the most crucial aspects of Bitcoin and well worth using as a starting point.  To me it nullifies some of the most annoying (and ignorant) logic/knowledge failures that a lot of 'experts' throw down.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 06:25:05 AM

Sorry to say but that segment was terrible for the layperson. If that segment was my introduction to Bitcoin, I would have been confused out of my mind. Why didn't they give some kind of introduction to Bitcoin before the interviews?  Huh

Also, the hostess was pretty bad. Saying you don't know about the subject you are interviewing about makes you sound weak and makes it sound like you shouldn't be doing the interviews at all.

You cannot enter a technical discussion in an interview like this. This is just a teaser of the capabilities of bitcoin, if they want to know how it works they will have to look it up and spend many hours reading.

This is about as much as you can possibly expect in general media as an introduction.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: