Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:29:16 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Java 0-day Exploit. All browsers(Chrome included) are vulnerable.  (Read 2775 times)
Remember remember the 5th of November (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 06:41:16 PM

Not that this exploit targets bitcoin, but it can very well be used to steal coins or cause other damages.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/27/disable_java_to_block_exploit/

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 06:47:28 PM

Ouch...

sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 07:01:36 PM

good lookin' out.  Will be curious to see if Oracle pushes a patch out any time soon. And even then I wonder how many machines exists that don't auto update java properly due to pre existing malware or other misoncfigurations.

as for me, I always drive with the java key in the off position and only allow individual modules to load on a case by case basis...

for anyone else;

Java permissions in IE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315674

In Chrome;
chrome://chrome/settings/content
and tick the box for 'do not allow any site to run javascript'   To then enable it for a site you trust, you will see a small icon with a red x, at the far right side of the address bar. Just click it and select 'always allow javascript on this site'. Then refresh the page.

For firefox the addon 'NoScript' should do the trick. With it enabled all scripting is blocked in a site and you then enable the compenents you want to allow on a particular site by right clicking in the page or clicking the NoScript 'S' icon while on the page and allowing the site and or subsites you wish.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 07:04:18 PM

http://blog.markloiseau.com/2012/03/psa-disable-java-in-your-browser/

http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/ht/How-To-Disable-Java-In-Internet-Explorer.htm
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 07:08:33 PM

In Chrome;
and tick the box for 'do not allow any site to run javascript'   To then enable it for a site you trust, you will see a small icon with a red x, at the far right side of the address bar. Just click it and select 'always allow javascript on this site'. Then refresh the page.

Java is not javascript. To disable Java click on Disable individual plug-ins... and disable Java there.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 07:21:58 PM

Another reason we should be working on hardware wallets for non-tech savvy mainstream users, i.e., the majority of users.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 07:26:18 PM

In Chrome;

Java is not javascript. To disable Java click on Disable individual plug-ins... and disable Java there.

It took me a minute to find it. On my linux system the Java plugin is called iced tea. Hope that helps.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 07:34:24 PM

I think you are confusing java with javascript. Javascript is quite safe and there's almost no security reason to turn it off. Mostly it could do
XSS and that is only if the site programmer implemented security poorly.

good lookin' out.  Will be curious to see if Oracle pushes a patch out any time soon. And even then I wonder how many machines exists that don't auto update java properly due to pre existing malware or other misoncfigurations.

as for me, I always drive with the java key in the off position and only allow individual modules to load on a case by case basis...

for anyone else;

Java permissions in IE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315674

In Chrome;

For firefox the addon 'NoScript' should do the trick. With it enabled all scripting is blocked in a site and you then enable the compenents you want to allow on a particular site by right clicking in the page or clicking the NoScript 'S' icon while on the page and allowing the site and or subsites you wish.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13088

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 07:51:13 PM

JRE sucks. Someone should make a better alternative. Flash, too.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 08:14:20 PM

This exploit is based on a vulnerability that appears introduced in Java 1.7 (Java 7). Java 6 is still maintained, and it's latest release is from August 14, 6u34.

I would recommend that until a patch or updated release for Java 7 is issued, that one completely uninstall Java 7 from your operating system (or uninstall any older unmaintained Java 6). Restart your operating system.

Then install the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 u34 release for your operating system from this page:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre6-downloads-1637595.html

It took me a minute to find it. On my linux system the Java plugin is called iced tea. Hope that helps.

This is an interesting case - although no exploit site mentions IcedTea, it is based on the OpenJDK Java 7 source code, and it would also be suspect unless proven otherwise.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 09:01:31 PM

I have the following installed

Java(TM) 7 Update 5 Installed On 7/3/2012
Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 24 Installed On 4/2/2011
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1 Installed On 8/4/2008
JavaFX 2.1.1 Installed On 7/3/2012

I am sure others have the above installed as well if they own an HP Desktop.

Is this above vulnerable? Should I uninstall all of the above, restart and install from current base as of today?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 09:22:47 PM

I have the following installed

Java(TM) 7 Update 5 Installed On 7/3/2012
Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 24 Installed On 4/2/2011
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1 Installed On 8/4/2008
JavaFX 2.1.1 Installed On 7/3/2012

I am sure others have the above installed as well if they own an HP Desktop.

Is this above vulnerable? Should I uninstall all of the above, restart and install from current base as of today?

Uninstall these in order from newest to oldest. The older ones are from upgrades that didn't properly remove the previous version or uninstaller option. Then restart, verify there is no Java left, and download and install Java(TM) SE Runtime 6 Update 34 (developer kit only if you are a Java programmer) from the link I provided.

All versions of Java 7 are vulnerable - Java 7 Update 6 is the latest, so your computer also wasn't keeping things up to date - update 5 has many other disclosed vulnerabilites. It is a good idea to go into the control panel, Java, and change the update frequency from monthly to weekly or daily (and don't update again to a version 7 until this vulnerability has been corrected).
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 09:40:47 PM

Doesn't java 6 also have vulnerabilities?

Most security sites seemed to be saying do NOT go back to older java...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 09:43:14 PM

How about I just uninstall all versions of Java and not install Java at all until the coast is clear?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 09:57:09 PM

Another reason we should be working on hardware wallets for non-tech savvy mainstream users, i.e., the majority of users.
+1

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
doobadoo

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:03:40 PM

this is why i have disabled java, and haven't run it thru my browser in 10 years or so...

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:10:16 PM

How about I just uninstall all versions of Java and not install Java at all until the coast is clear?
Excellent choice.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:25:46 PM

+1

Great post.

In Firefox, disable Java in the "Add-ons manager". Get there by the "Tools" drop down menu, go to "Add-ons" and the Java console will be there. Disable it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: