Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:09:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally, a noble cause!: Watsi.org (a Bitcoin100 funding suggestion)  (Read 2600 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 09:30:50 PM

I'm proud to announce that giszmo's suggestion of Watsi (at watsi.org) seems to be a perfect candidate for the next funding project by Bitcoin100.

Although it's not important, giszmo, I'm curious as to how you found out about them.

http://www.friendsofcostarica.com/1/post/2012/4/costa-rica-rpcvs-help-fund-high-impact-medical-treatments.html

Chase Adam, the founder of Watsi, is the guy in the center in the back row.

Feel free to express your support or otherwise on this thread so that we at Bitcoin100 can pursue this cause in a promptly manner.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 02:27:51 AM

Bump!

Waiting for HostGator to get Bitcoin100.org back up. Should be up shortly.

Please offer feedback on Watsi.org, which looks like a unique project.

Since giszmo stated that he was in contact with the owners, I'm curious as to how he found out about them and if he's affiliated with them in any way which, as I've already stated, should have no bearing on whether or not Watsi.org gets funding via Bitcoin100.

~Bruno~
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 06:38:32 AM

kickstarter for medical? wow. that's... actually really cool.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Snapman

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

BTCRadio Owner

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 06:42:28 AM

not to be a buzzkill, but like 99% of these "save africans" programs are scams. (yes that includes shit like the red cross to)

Give me 2 days, and a pack of redbulls, and you have yourself a website that looks just like that.

BTCRadio: 17cafKShokyQCbaNuzaDo5HLoSnffMNPAs
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 06:50:28 AM

not to be a buzzkill, but like 99% of these "save africans" programs are scams. (yes that includes shit like the red cross to)

Give me 2 days, and a pack of redbulls, and you have yourself a website that looks just like that.

I don't know if I would go that far, but the only person I knew who worked for one ended up figuring out it was a pyramid scheme. Childrens's international. Maybe they actually use the money to help children, maybe not... who knows.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 03:36:26 PM

I agree about the save Africa scams. I attended the last Faith-Based Initiative conference in Dallas. One of the speakers was so proud of the millions spent with his program and the crowning achievement to repair a handle on a well pump. I didn't know whether to laugh or vomit.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 04:49:34 PM

I too agree about the save Africa scams.

Billions and billions poured in Africa, only to make local warlords happy that they can buy moar weapons and bigger estates.

Do you want to really "save africa"? Well, watch the movie Sahara, you will see the problem and the solution. Yes, "pulling a Panama" is part of the solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7T-tKrXVc

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 08:12:32 AM

Anybody else want to weigh in on Watsi.com? Giszmo?

~Bruno~
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 08:41:18 AM

The problem is that I find it very hard to know what they are actually going to do there, unless I trusted the people running the site personally. Maybe I should go to Africa by myself Cheesy

Otherwise I think the best way to help africa and developing countries in general is to promote free trade to them. This includes promoting bitcoin Smiley

istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 03:29:37 PM

No trust in them.

They have to prove themselves FIRST.
Like lots of other organizations have done.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 03:38:02 PM

No trust in them.

They have to prove themselves FIRST.
Like lots of other organizations have done.

I'm just going to leave this here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1214
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 03:52:45 PM

How possible would it be to set up our own charity? Use the $1,000 USD worth of Bitcoin to buy a whole bunch of cheap phones that can be used there, preload them with some Bitcoin, and mail them to a village not too far from a city with some instructions. Considering how the people live there, they can probably survive for a week on a single bitcoin, and it would be pushing Bitcoin directly into Africa, without worrying about a charity taking 75% of the cut.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 04:08:46 PM

How possible would it be to set up our own charity? Use the $1,000 USD worth of Bitcoin to buy a whole bunch of cheap phones that can be used there, preload them with some Bitcoin, and mail them to a village not too far from a city with some instructions. Considering how the people live there, they can probably survive for a week on a single bitcoin, and it would be pushing Bitcoin directly into Africa, without worrying about a charity taking 75% of the cut.

It's a noble idea, Rassah, but that's the best I can do on commenting on your idea. Hopefully community members will contribute their ideas on the topic.

~Bruno~
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 05:49:14 PM

Hi guys!

I love how critical you all are and how you would most likely find out the color of Chase's underwear if you wanted to. Please investigate watsi.org. You already investigated further than I maybe did.

I found watsi.org via a link at hacker news and had a 12 mails (6+6) long dialog with Chase. Last mail from him was introducing his CTO but on my reply 2 days ago they didn't have any further questions for now.

I am not involved in this project and I understand your skepticism. Provably Fair is the field of crypto nerds, so maybe you want to sell Chase not only the idea of Bitcoin but also some other ideas how to proof that the money actually went 100% into a treatment that otherwise would 100% not have taken place.

I have my doubt that it is actually possible to proof not to be a scam even if you totally give up the privacy of the patients. What do you want to do? A Q&A-hangout on air with the patient and a doctor explaining his problem in funny English? Yeah, well, most likely many people in the world would be that desperate to do this but I hope you come up with solutions that leave the patients some dignity.

To my understanding watsi.org takes no cut at all of the money you put into a treatment. If they can be transparent to a degree that you find no loop-holes I want them to get all the support that they can get. Bitcoin shines at scams but it also shines at transparency and Chase was interested in anonymous donations via Bitcoin and I don't know any other way than Bitcoin to have anonymous donations transparent.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 06:05:38 PM

Besides, Bruno, you are such a theatrical troll. "proud to announce" with this stock picture of them in your OP. For the record: All my communication with Bruno about watsi was via this and the other thread. I did not imply that there was anything to "announce". They are remotely interested.

My analysis of how bitcoin could help was that out of all the combinations of receiving BTC, converting to btc in the US, converting to USD in the US, sending BTC to Nepal for example and convert to Rupees there, sending BTC to the hospital concluded that BTC only is suitable for receiving anonymous donations and convert them to USD. The total fees that they pay for sending money there are in the 5% range that BTC can barely compete with right now as you can't expect doctors or medical suppliers in Nepal to accept BTC at this point yet.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 01:45:19 AM

Besides, Bruno, you are such a theatrical troll. "proud to announce" with this stock picture of them in your OP. For the record: All my communication with Bruno about watsi was via this and the other thread. I did not imply that there was anything to "announce". They are remotely interested.

That's the most accurate description of Bruno possible. He's not a mean troll, or an angry troll, or a hurtful troll but instead he's a theatrical troll. Conjures up images of one of those little troll dolls dancing around singing show tunes. Classic!  Grin

Interesting! I almost have to concur, albeit I come across as such because of my style of relaying information on this forum. In RL, I have no problem what-so-ever relaying information face-to-face, but I guess my point(s) get lost during translation, coupled with acting too quickly sometimes. If the moniker theatrical troll sticks, at least let it be known that I'm an honest one with a big heart, inside and outside the Bitcoin realm.

Now back to Watsi.

I was well aware of most everything and everybody connected with them, including PCV, et al., prior to posting this thread. The one thing that puzzles me is this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1214 and, moreover, the missing 40 sequential accounts after his. See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;start=600 (BTW, Bruno666 on that list is not me)

@Giszmo, to be fair and honest, at the onset I was trying to find a link connecting you and Chase Adam, but I guess there isn't one. You can easily see how, on the surface, it just looked weird. Sorry, bud.

PCV brings in tens of million of dollars annually and has Chase Adam's name written all over them. He seems like a bright young man, and feel that if not him, then somebody(s) else is pulling the strings on this.

There is another Bitcoin connection involving Chase, but I'll need a few minutes to hunt it and present it properly.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 01:50:21 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2012, 02:17:24 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

I'll start with that image above. http://www.friendsofcostarica.com/1/post/2012/4/costa-rica-rpcvs-help-fund-high-impact-medical-treatments.html

Watsi Costa Rica RPCVs celebrating after receiving the  People's Choice award at the prestigious Global Social Venture Competition.  RPCVs pictured top left Mark Murrin (2009 – 2011), top middle Chase Adam (2009 – 2011), bottom left Katie DeWitt (2009 – 2011), and bottom middle Porter Searcy (2006 – 2009).  Not pictured is Howard Glenn (2009 – 2011).

The best I could figure is that award came from an entity that they're close to. I may need clarification on this.

Here's the video with the sales pitch for Watsi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyHZ3vaAdd0

domain: pcvfund.com
reg_created: 2004-08-02 22:58:42
expires: 2013-01-02 04:59:59
created: 2011-10-16 07:05:25
changed: 2011-11-05 06:33:19
transfer-prohibited: yes
ns0: dns1.easydns.com
ns1: dns2.easydns.net
ns2: dns3.easydns.ca
owner-c:
nic-hdl: CA3805-GANDI
owner-name: Chase Adam
organisation: ~
person: Chase Adam
address: 51 Federal Street
zipcode: 94107
city: San Francisco
state: California
phone: +1.6504920702
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 02:39:35 AM

http://www.webboar.com/whois-phone/%2B1.6504920702

pacificcommunityventures...
pcvfund.com
pcvmail.com
sofistry.com
tempoconsulting.com
pacificcommunityventures...
pcvmail.net
pcvdb.org
pcvmail.org

http://tempoconsulting.com/index.asp

Tempo’s founder, Gregory Sandoval, began working with Internet technology while a member of Apple Computer’s corporate communications team back in 1992. Since leaving Apple in 1997, he has built Tempo Consulting into a successful consulting practice with a broad range of clients.

Tempo Consulting specializes in:

Designing and building complex data-driven web sites
Web design, production and webmaster services
Information systems design

Registrant:
Tempo Consulting

41 Post Street
San Jose, California 95113
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: TEMPOCONSULTING.COM
Created on: 20-Jul-01
Expires on: 01-Jan-13
Last Updated on: 15-Feb-12

Administrative Contact:
Sandoval, Gregory hostmaster@tempoconsulting.com
Tempo Consulting
41 Post Street
United States
+1.6504920702

Technical Contact:
Sandoval, Gregory hostmaster@tempoconsulting.com
Tempo Consulting
41 Post Street
United States
+1.6504920702
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 04:41:54 AM

@Giszmo, to be fair and honest, at the onset I was trying to find a link connecting you and Chase Adam, but I guess there isn't one. You can easily see how, on the surface, it just looked weird. Sorry, bud.

Well, please go ahead. I really love how people are paranoid here. Please also provide a TLDR to your analysis.

ɃɃ
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 06:36:27 AM

Well, please go ahead. I really love how people are paranoid here. Please also provide a TLDR to your analysis.

Once again I apologize, but I was honest in stating my intention which is a hell of lot more than what I've seen on this board. You and I have seen it a hundred times on this forum--sockpuppets espousing their sites, only to be exposed later. As you may have seen, Watsi is fairly new, and it's only been recently that the marketing team, so to speak, has kicked it up a notch or two to get it in the limelight. Watsi is only one of a couple dozen charitable sites that Chase Adam is part of, and I've now shown that he and his team are part of a web development team. Hell, even PVC, et al., has changed their address of late.

So, TBC, I simply found it odd that you suggested Watsi, coupled with finding Chase Adam's name as an early user on this forum, not to mention the missing 40 names after he (if the same guy) registered. I have read where Chase Adam was looking for an alternative solution for PayPal. To me, even that whole dialog looked contrived, considering where he posted said request. And it's as if the stage was set over a year ago, jockeying for position to make their play.

I somewhat have reservations of the last coins Bitcoin100 sent. Two identical sites, but we were only presented with the mirror site that had the Bitcoin donation option in place, while the main site doesn't even mention Bitcoin, plus a couple other discrepancies, namely the different names associated with both sites.

The narrative of this forum has definitely changed in the past few months, mainly due to the latest heists to add to the past heists. I, personally, have taken a big hit due to the Bitcoinica episode, and I didn't have a single satoshi on deposit with them. I'm just in reference to the fines (two warehouses), and not the expected EPA cleanup bill.

And another little know fact: There have been three Bitcoiners who've had custom leather products made by my brother-in-law who have yet to pay for their orders and even ignore my mailings to them. Not once, nor will I ever, have mentioned their names, but I know who they are and have their number, figuratively speaking that is.

Yet, in spite of all that, here I am still trying to help out my fellow Bitcoiners anyway I can, even at the risk of fucking up, of which I'm sure I'll do again. But the day I do get it right, WILL make up for all my debacles.

One more thing. Here's another reason I've been the way I've been of late: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33835.0

Peace, giszmo.

~Bruno~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: