Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:43:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core to Electurm  (Read 606 times)
madhatr (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:04:43 PM

Can I convert my bitcoin core wallet so I may use it in electrum or is electrum able to import and use my bitcoin core wallet as its own.  I'm tired of the huge block file.

Thanks Smiley
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2015, 02:20:49 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2015, 03:09:29 PM by btchris

Although you could export your private keys from Bitcoin Core and then import them into a new Electrum wallet, you'd be missing out on a number of important features.

A likely better option is to create a new Electrum wallet, write down the seed (very important! it is your backup), and then send your bitcoins from Bitcoin Core to an address in your new Electrum wallet.

For example, one benefit of doing it this way is your seed backup: it is all you'll ever need to restore a corrupted/lost wallet. If you export/import your private keys, you can't use a single seed to backup/restore your wallet.

Also, just FYI, Bitcoin Core version 0.11 will (sometime around July?) probably include pruning support. When enabled, it'll reduce the storage requirements by a factor of about 30x.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: