Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 08:09:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Ethereum???  (Read 2885 times)
box0214

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:47:34 PM

I'm not a founder. Apparently I had very little to do with the project.

but you were in the team early on and i'm sure you know alot of the inside stuff that your voicing out now. im curious to whats your take on NXT and Bitshares as its a competing 2.0 tech in the crypto scene.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 05:26:17 PM

I was one of the founders of bitshares. It's a great collection of ideas. Needs better execution.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
Passion_ltc

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:27:03 PM

but you were in the team early on and i'm sure you know alot of the inside stuff that your voicing out now. im curious to whats your take on NXT and Bitshares as its a competing 2.0 tech in the crypto scene.

Ethereum is not competing with Nxt or Bitshares, it's competing with Crypti.

ScreamnShout

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:48:04 PM

I don't think there has been any releases yet? Even after a NYC party, did anyone go?
wagabee london

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:04:07 PM

so where is bitcoin going?is it going to be mainstream is a few years?any others altcoins worth investing in?

⚫ ▬▬     V T O S   |   Decentralized CDN & Social Network     ▬▬ ⚫
  Whitepaper    JOIN OUR ICO  >  MAY 28th  <
FACEBOOK               MEDIUM               TWITTER               GITHUB               TELEGRAM
box0214

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:43:12 PM

isn't the upcoming nxt plugin system in the same area?
Passion_ltc

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 08:24:07 AM

isn't the upcoming nxt plugin system in the same area?

The Nxt plugin system allows apps/websites to utilizes the Nxt API. These ones will be available right from the Nxt Wallet, once the plugin is installed from a 3rd party location.

Crypti/Ethereum are something different. You will be able to make whole decentralized applications, with your own blockchain. Written in a coding language (JavaScript in Crypti).

coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 09:13:05 AM

I don't agree with the way they went about raising funds, it was probably Charles Hoskinson's idea. I didn't purchase "ethers",  considered it more a donation than an investment.

Despite spending months of my life trying to figure out the legal and tax implications of it and even moving to Switzerland for three months, I was always against the ether sale and wanted to take VC money. It made a hell of a negotiating point for valuation, but introduced a terrible moral hazard of having no fiduciary responsibility behind the enormous sum raised. Also no formal due diligence process would be applied to the core team.

If there was to be a sale, then I wanted two organizations to form with a VC funded for profit building the initial protocol and then a sale at the time of launch to fund a foundation with a separate board managing it. This would create a clear separation of concerns and avoid conflicts of interest. Second, the risk to ether purchasers would be substantially less and would have eliminated the need and justification for a premine altogether. Obviously that didn't happen and the project decided to use the sale to fund some sort of bizarre swiss NPO funding a pesudo for profit in England two months after I left in early June.

Since then they've apparently spent or lost 14 of the 18 million raised and have missed two launch windows for a command line barebones version of the software. Second, they've experienced terrible mission creep with a mandate to re-invent the internet as opposed to simply giving the space a much better foundation to build cool blockchain centric applications and protocols. I'm honestly not sure what ethereum is anymore? Whisper, Swarm, Golem, Holons, Open Org, 4 new programming languages, DAOs???

In any event, don't blame people you've never met for things you know nothing about. Ethereum would be a very different project if I was still there. I'm not and they don't even have me listed as a founder nor did Mihai even mention me once in his history of the project. Thus I suppose I never played a meaningful role. 

Thank you Charles for your insight thoughts of this situation!

Enlightening post. Seems like the first smart-contract should have been the IPO contract. Anyways still hoping for protocol-level CLI to be released.

jerelimZ

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 10:07:26 AM

It smells like a scam in here. Glad I missed out on the presale. Looks alike another alphatech in here.
Vaporware!

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀
    ▀████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████▀
      ▀▀██████████████▀▀
TIDEX

monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 10:12:38 AM

Prerelease client: https://github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/releases/tag/v0.9.18
Exploit bounties: https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/05/09/olympic-frontier-pre-release/
Unofficial presale coin market: https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-ETC
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: