Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:24:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: For the sake of getting at the root of all arguments here, is a sub-billion dollar marketcap for an altcoin any indicator of success? Can you expect any measurement of success under a 1 billion dollar marketcap?  (Voting closed: May 02, 2015, 03:21:12 PM)
You can measure relative success over a billion dollars, and any measure of marketcap at any level is an indicator of success - 17 (20%)
Marketcap over a billion dollars is an indicator of success, but under a billion dollars is not a measurement of success - 7 (8.2%)
No, marketcap is not an indicator of success in any way - 36 (42.4%)
The marketcap would need to be much much greater than 1 billion dollars to even begin to measure success - 12 (14.1%)
I have a different opinion of marketcap, and may like to share it in this thread. - 13 (15.3%)
Total Voters: 85

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Is sub-billion dollar marketcap any indicator of success? 3 days only!  (Read 2499 times)
BlockaFett

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 07:50:26 PM

Looks like yet another pre-skewed thread / poll to push Monero / Trollero FUD down people's throats again.

The idea of this one is obviously to get everyone to say "market cap is not important" so that:

a) Monero market cap falling off a cliff recently doesn't reflect so badly on them and they can still pump  and

b) they can try to say that their competitors with more market cap, Dash, Bytecoin, are not 'better' because 'market cap doesn't matter - look we wasted the valuable time of people from 500 alts to try to convince CoinMarketCap to comply with what *Monero* wants.

They are already bum-rushing the Coin Market Cap thread to bully the poor admin Gliss to change their ratings system to now include "instamine" so their 2 main competitors can be black listed https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199685

And all this because they can't do 1 hour of development and innovate like everyone else...how pathetic.

Let it go.

I'll go buy some Dash, just for you buddy.

^ Well known Monero troll, strange you should just be here 2 seconds after I make a comment.

OK - but when in 3 days time, the Monero attack-dogs currently trying to bully CoinMarketCap to change their ratings system to black-list Dash and Bytecoin in any way they can come up with, I guaran-fucking-tee you they will be waving a link to this poll - and that will be the Monero Devs as usual, lol.  So predictable, So Trollero Wink
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 07:58:55 PM

Looks like yet another pre-skewed thread / poll to push Monero / Trollero FUD down people's throats again.

The idea of this one is obviously to get everyone to say "market cap is not important" so that:

a) Monero market cap falling off a cliff recently doesn't reflect so badly on them and they can still pump  and

b) they can try to say that their competitors with more market cap, Dash, Bytecoin, are not 'better' because 'market cap doesn't matter - look we wasted the valuable time of people from 500 alts to try to convince CoinMarketCap to comply with what *Monero* wants.

They are already bum-rushing the Coin Market Cap thread to bully the poor admin Gliss to change their ratings system to now include "instamine" so their 2 main competitors can be black listed https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199685

And all this because they can't do 1 hour of development and innovate like everyone else...how pathetic.

Let it go.

I'll go buy some Dash, just for you buddy.

^ Well known Monero troll, strange you should just be here 2 seconds after I make a comment.

OK - but when in 3 days time, the Monero attack-dogs currently trying to bully CoinMarketCap to change their ratings system to black-list Dash and Bytecoin, I guaran-fucking-tee you they will be waving a link to this poll - and that will be the Monero Devs as usual, lol.  So predictable Wink

Probably, it's okay though. I've trolled for Dash as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure I mentioned that crypto isn't linear, but I don't think you were on around that time because you mentioned that you came back on to check up on the name change from Dark > Dash.

.00075% is enough for me to not mind what happens either way. Maybe more. Maybe I still have what I mined last March.

I'm always around, until at least next Monday when work starts IRL.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
bigj

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 08:22:59 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2015, 08:43:33 PM by bigj

It cannot be a singular measure like 'market cap'. It is a multi-fold/multi-dimensional question comprising several aspects like:

- number of users
- number of transactions
- number of nodes
- number of shops
- number of exchanges
- distribution of transaction sizes (e.g., via median and iqr)
- currency turnover
- market cap

Importance of measures maybe in that order, maybe not -- try to minimize the relation between a subset of such measures and then compare alt-coins based on that..

ADD:
“If people don’t use it, it will go to trash, like anything that isn’t used in this world,” he told me. “If people use it, then it has a future.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/magazine/how-bitcoin-is-disrupting-argentinas-economy.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0
BlockaFett

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 08:25:59 PM

WARNING TO CRYPTO COMMUNITY

If you value CoinMarketCap.com as a trustworthy source for accurate and objective information...

..and you don't want Monero/Trollero to try control how CMC lists and ranks coins for Monero's benefit...

...Then DO NOT VOTE HERE - you are just giving the Monero Core-Devs ammunition for their ongoing harassment of the admin Gliss on his CoinMarketCap thread to ask him to *change his definitions* to black-list each of Monero's competitors and try to rank-up Monero through the usual bullshit instead of innovation we have all come to expect from them.
bigj

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 08:46:15 PM

If you value CoinMarketCap.com as a trustworthy source for accurate and objective information...

..and you don't want Monero/Trollero to try control how CMC lists and ranks coins for Monero's benefit...

...Then DO NOT VOTE HERE - you are just giving the Monero Core-Devs ammunition for their ongoing harassment of the admin Gliss on his CoinMarketCap thread to ask him to *change his definitions* to black-list each of Monero's competitors and try to rank-up Monero through the usual bullshit instead of innovation we have all come to expect from them.

You are such a troll my dear. Pointless.
BlockaFett

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 08:48:00 PM

Another Monero troll. What are the chances???  Shocked
bigj

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 08:54:17 PM

Haha, a good one. Look at my message record my dear.. bisous.
BlockaFett

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 08:57:35 PM

I just did...it's full of Trollero Wink
bigj

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 09:00:29 PM

Another Monero troll. What are the chances???  Shocked

I just did...it's full of Trollero Wink

Huh You also have to read (and understand) it, xxx.
coolbeans94

Activity: 613
Merit: 500

Mintcoin: Get some

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 12:24:07 AM

Market cap is an indicator, but not a very good indicator. It can be a billion 1 day, and a thousand the next. A coin can be successful and be undervalued while another coin can be shit and overvalued.

(1.) Moral happiness depends upon moral order.
(2.) Moral order depends upon the harmonious action of all our powers, as
individuals and as members of society.
kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 01:45:57 AM

I've conducted this poll, because someone I care for greatly, and many other people I care for greatly, have become so stressed out that I legitimately worry for their health. I'm sorry if that's selfish, but if it isn't the lack of people here that will kill us all off, it's going to be stress. It's just not yet time to draw such lines between friends, or potential friends.

Everyone is getting way stressed out way too soon.
Crypto is still basically an infant, for example all of the marketcaps combined don't hold a candle to the Gaming Communities market caps. Most coins will not survive , but Life Goes On, remind your friends to Enjoy it.
Speaking as someone a lot closer to leaving this world , than staying.
Don't miss out on Life , spending it all of the time in worry, it is far too short for that.
Take your friends out for dinner & a movie, walk in the countryside or along a beach , revel in this world while you are here , because their is nothing quite like it.
Make some enjoyable memories to take with you, because everything else will be left behind.

Cool
marquix

Activity: 128
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 03:39:24 PM

Well, what does everyone think?

beyond market capitalisation, there are other factors for a Crypto coin to be "a success". I am on record all over the place for saying that REAL-LIFE USE of a Crypto coin is the most important factor (look what the U. S. did after severing the gold-link of the dollar in 1971: they invented petrodollars to safeguard "usefulness" and "velocity of money" and keep the show going, let eurodollars be the biggest market in the world (at the time, now it's the over-inflated U. S. bond market, but that's a different part of the story). From what I read about Earthcoin and the EAC web pages, there are people imn this group who understand the history of the U. S. Fed & Co and will know how paper currency works and what I am talking about here. For Crypto coins, it is the same thing, i e ACTUAL USE of coins other than gambling, Silk Road, online gaming -- but I mean REAL EVERY-DAY acceptance of Crypto coins.

There are first baby step in this direction, mainly for Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, but we need to get there with other coins as well! Imagine just for a moment what happened if just a few hundred eBay or Shopify/Facebook sellers offered REAL PRODUCTS (ideally both used AND new) for Earthcoin, and maybe some VoIP provider like Diamondcard.us started accepting Earthcoin as well (diamondcard.use already are doing Bitcoin, BTW)! Shopify/Facebook are very real prospects as they already have BTC, LTC, and DOGE built-in and 100% ready-to-go -- all that's missing is the real life persons, apparently...

So THIS is what we need in order to make (any) coins a success. I mean, we are still in the very early stages of the overall phenomenon, but for this to gather momentum it needs to happen sooner or later!

HD video & photography. Check out some of my photos covering Bitcoin and Crypto topics http://marquix.net/try/btc-tech-photos/ or my FREE eBook reviewing fully Whitehat e-mail and list-building tools http://marquix.net/try/whitehat-email-marketing/ here!
Read Bitcoin & Alt coin news, decentralization, Peer-to-Peer economy articles, financial innovation with Crypto tech on http://www.bitcoinFinancial.info/bitcoin-business/.
Majormax
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 12:51:36 PM

Plenty of comments here that are well reasoned, and I can agree with.

I would add that Market Cap only becomes a measure of success in the longer term. A high (and speculative) price at an early stage may serve to draw attention to the project, but that would be the main positive of the High Cap, and it also draws a lot of attacks from competitors.

The ideal (IMO) factors leading to longer term success are

1. A large Community of people interested (ie holding coin), from which activity and promotion can flow.

2. A competent , flexible and large development team, which can implement new ideas and cope with constant turnover of key members.

Market cap is then not really indicative of success, but WILL eventually follow the other factors.
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 04:40:01 PM

I personally like CMC, and spend way too much time lookng at it, but it's not the only way to measure success.
Take a look at CoinGecko as an example of an alternative approach.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Trollero (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 09:00:04 PM

Looks like we sure came a long way in a month.

We have people who otherwise couldn't be bothered with the intricacies of another coin coming out and getting bothered all over the place, and not entirely in a bad way. Turns out that much of the criticism is reciprocal.

Constructive arguments have been made, all based on confronting the idea idea that the linear interpretation of success is just another lie we tell ourselves.

I'm here all the time, and I can tell you just by skimming all of your words that you're interconnected in ways you can't even imagine. Try it sometime, skim threads you normally would never check out. Maybe you'll see some of what I see. People whom you've never interacted with and have never heard of have influenced your very thoughts, your conversations, right here on this board. And not in a bad way. This board has changed a lot in just a month.

It's very telling, when a certain phrase doesn't get typed in a few weeks reemerges in at least 4 other posts totally unrelated to the original conversation that the words were typed first in within a day.

Only to have that phrase fade back into obscurity for months after that.

It goes further than that, that's just one small cue.

Maybe some realized that btctalk just won't be here forever, after that 3 day outage. Feels like it will be, but it won't.

Maybe some realized that the coming regulations will have profound impacts on the entire cryptosphere.

Really, I just hope, some realized that crypto certainly isn't linear. Sometimes you need to say or do things that are not continuous with any type of ego or character you've built up for yourselves.

If you continue to concentrate on the idea that you're here to foster a technology that will be capable of coexisting with the technology that will become so ubiquitous over the next few decades, touching every single person on the face of the planet, the profits will follow.

It won't be the paper you're used to, and its timely exit will happen because it's a relic of the last few millenia. Like evolution - it's just not fit to continue on.

Awesome responses, btw.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: