Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:58:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the hell should we care about women in bitcoin space?  (Read 4322 times)
TCM

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 02:03:57 PM

Why _should_ we work this disparity? We should work on how women are treated when they actually enter the field on their own, not drag them into a field against their interest.

What would you think if women suddenly started to drag you into being a kindergarten worker when you have absolutely no interest in working with children?

Let the interests find their field on their own and stop looking at some imaginary disparity that ought to be removed.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 02:14:10 PM

Why _should_ we work this disparity? We should work on how women are treated when they actually enter the field on their own, not drag them into a field against their interest.

What would you think if women suddenly started to drag you into being a kindergarten worker when you have absolutely no interest in working with children?

Let the interests find their field on their own and stop looking at some imaginary disparity that ought to be removed.

Agreed, bitcoin is an open source project that anyone can work on and with with no barriers to entry. The disparity is mainly a result of them not being interested.

We can and should care and there are a few things we can do to fix this problem but we don't need to drag them into it or bribe them to get involved as that is a form of sexism. They will eventually get involved when it starts to go mainstream because they will have to.

I think I'll do something. Today I am going to recruit a few women to use bitcoin. I am going to give away $10 in BTC to ten women. All they have to do is use it. Spend it, donate it, whatever.
Since I am aware that all you guys will turn into women for $10 I'll do it in real life. 

This is a good idea and I have personally done this as well. It needs to be done with all people though like Roger Ver has done.
Here is a video of an example- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLURFKKHDKU

Film the interactions so you we can learn from the experiment and see if their are any problems with the UI of the wallets or signup process.

TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 02:43:06 PM

It doesn't really matter what kind of junk you have between your legs. 
Ignant!
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 02:49:26 PM

Wow. Tons of sexist bullshit in this thread.

If this thread is representative of the Bitcoin community at large, it's no wonder women don't want anything to do with it.
The real sexist people are the ones who try to separate "women" and "men" in everything. If they weren't sexist, they'd view everyone as people.

Consider most people don't try to separate people as "taxi drivers" or "farmers" or "teachers" every chance they get. Those that do are the smug idiots who think they're better than people with "lower" jobs.

It's the same thing with sex. Only a sexist would so consciously separate women and men in every single thing.
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 03:17:52 PM

Wow. Tons of sexist bullshit in this thread.

If this thread is representative of the Bitcoin community at large, it's no wonder women don't want anything to do with it.
The real sexist people are the ones who try to separate "women" and "men" in everything. If they weren't sexist, they'd view everyone as people.

Consider most people don't try to separate people as "taxi drivers" or "farmers" or "teachers" every chance they get. Those that do are the smug idiots who think they're better than people with "lower" jobs.

It's the same thing with sex. Only a sexist would so consciously separate women and men in every single thing.

You seem to be mostly on point with your post, but your annoyance with people referring to Satoshi as a woman also shows that you still don't "get it." You seem either conflicted or ignorant. I am guessing by your posts that you are a teenager and/or just trying to promote your signature.  Either way I'm done with you Wink

futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 03:35:10 PM

You seem to be mostly on point with your post, but your annoyance with people referring to Satoshi as a woman also shows that you still don't "get it." You seem either conflicted or ignorant. I am guessing by your posts that you are a teenager and/or just trying to promote your signature.  Either way I'm done with you Wink

Uh huh. More ad hominem attacks with no substance. I'm guessing you're either a delusional drunkard, or just trying to promote your yacoin. Either way, it seems you're hopeless.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 03:52:03 PM

I think this issue going to resolve itself. Nobody want to keep woman away from bitcoin. Actually the opposite is true. I think it's all about marketing. If you take a look at the community here you will find a bunch of nerds an other bunch of speculators and a lot of "save the world" type blokes. In short: lots of boring ppl with ridiculous ideas about how to make something appealing for women Smiley.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 04:28:02 PM

I think I'll do something. Today I am going to recruit a few women to...

This is a good idea and I have personally done this as well. It needs to be done with all people though like Roger Ver has done.

Film the interactions so you we can learn from the experiment and see if their are any problems with the UI of the wallets or signup process.
Nice one. I'll video or photo it.
I'm at work and, although there are a lot of women here, it may take all day. I say that because the first two I asked declined. Cheesy They were unsure about installing a wallet app and unclear about what BTC is. I did not think giving away money would be this hard.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
TCM

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 04:32:56 PM

he first two I asked declined. Cheesy They were unsure about installing a wallet app and unclear about what BTC is. I did not think giving away money would be this hard.

Actually they seem pretty smart. I wouldn't participate either when someone walks up to me and suggests installing some software I know nothing about, and promising me "money" for it.

The whole idea to get people involved in Bitcoin this way seems rather stupid.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 04:44:12 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2015, 04:54:38 PM by inBitweTrust

I'm at work and, although there are a lot of women here, it may take all day. I say that because the first two I asked declined. Cheesy They were unsure about installing a wallet app and unclear about what BTC is. I did not think giving away money would be this hard.

Chances are they may be completely unfamiliar with it and therefore declined. You may have to indirectly get them comfortable with it by having lunch with a few of them at a restaurant that accepts Bitcoin, paying your bill in bitcoin and than getting them curious. When they start asking about it explain its just the future of money and that you saved 20% on your last amazon order with purse.io. This will get them interested and asking questions and than you can offer to install a wallet and send them a bit of spending cash to play with.

Very few women are interested in the political , technological or philosophical reasons for using bitcoin from my experience thus you have to appeal to their interests and not drone on about things which bore or confuses them. This may sound a bit sexist but represents reality from the many women I have discussed Bitcoin with. There are unique angles to approach every demographic with Bitcoin. I wouldn't discuss the technology behind bitcoin with most men over 60 years of age as an example , but discussing the politics or philosophical implications works with some in that category. There are exceptions to every rule of thumb of course - I.E... If I knew of a woman that was an anti- war activist I may discuss how bitcoin allows her to defund the warmongers and neoconservatives with agorist principles.

Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 05:02:07 PM

I think I'll do something. Today I am going to recruit a few women to...

Maybe try coinbase or blockchain wallet?
moko666

Activity: 635
Merit: 500

BlasterKVs the king of xbox modding

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 05:31:48 PM

agree. we shouldn't  separate community members in male and female, we just need more member in community no matter if they are male or female, specially asking for female looks like a stupid question, everyone who love technology should involved in this.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 07:17:19 PM

These aren't merely problems that can be solved with marketing to women or not being "mean on the internet".  We can change these statistics a bit with some clever marketing or a "wallet" designed for women but bitcoin will likely remain male dominated.

One of my favorite posts of all time:

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
inBitweTrust

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 07:50:01 PM

These aren't merely problems that can be solved with marketing to women or not being "mean on the internet".  We can change these statistics a bit with some clever marketing or a "wallet" designed for women but bitcoin will likely remain male dominated.

Beautiful... but in all seriousness wallets like Kryptokit and airbitz are probably more appealing to women. Design also does play a role too... that is why social platforms like pinterest have much higher levels of females 68% than males 32%.

A "coffeemeetsbagel.com" app that used the bitcoin blockchain could really get women using bitcoin.

Design and features do matter and appeal to the sexes differently and rolling out more apps and wallets geared towards women could shift the stats slightly.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 08:05:44 PM

This "Born To Shop" stuff is right. It's part of the reason that a lot of guys turn homosexual. No matter the game the woman plays, if you want her, you have to realize that she is always "Born To Shop." Her game will match you at every turn until she gets out of you what it takes to shop.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 08:15:29 PM

Commercial applications will get more women to use Bitcoin - most women don't use OpenOffice, but many use Microsoft Office.

For most women it needs to be easy with a well-known company behind it.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 08:22:08 PM

One down. This is going to take a while.

https://blockchain.info/address/1Pch31fgF9hWYi6N6jEeCNPgxjzNJj6n6w

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
inBitweTrust

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 08:34:04 PM

Good work. Yes, It usually takes me multiple conversations and months to get converts.

hunnaryb

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 10:44:28 PM

Participation of women can make a huge difference in bitcoin community , If they participate actively then can know there is something better then credit cards too. As ratio says that women uses more credit card then a men so i their presence in community can be profitable.

▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇

TCM

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 10:51:21 PM

It's absolutely hilarious how people can claim to be well-meaning and try to bring women "into Bitcoin" by saying that women only care about shopping or "For most women it needs to be easy with a well-known company behind it." and generally treating them like little shopping addicts who can't help it.

The idiocy is staggering.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: