Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:24:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Pirate@40 get a scammer tag? *  (Voting closed: August 31, 2012, 11:54:29 AM)
No - 23 (8.5%)
Yes - 119 (43.8%)
Who is Pirate? - 11 (4%)
I don't care - 20 (7.4%)
Yes, at least until he pays. - 99 (36.4%)
Total Voters: 272

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is pirate considered a scammer by Bitcoin community*? Poll:vote/view results  (Read 6949 times)
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 08:03:26 AM

Never bother looking at that before, but their seems to be quiet a bit of feedback referring to his trade of currency back and forth.
That part is not surprising, consider what he was doing, but paypal?! seriously haha. There is your risk.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 09:29:31 AM

Never bother looking at that before, but their seems to be quiet a bit of feedback referring to his trade of currency back and forth.
That part is not surprising, consider what he was doing, but paypal?! seriously haha. There is your risk.

My favs are "paid for my burger +5", "ran a typical Ponzi -1", "owes me money, not very talkative about anything, past his repayment delays -1", "Owes me ~35 BTC, has defaulted on his debts. Not trustworthy -2"

So basically the burger more than compensates for all that Cheesy

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Francesco

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:15:53 AM

My favs are "paid for my burger +5", "ran a typical Ponzi -1", "owes me money, not very talkative about anything, past his repayment delays -1", "Owes me ~35 BTC, has defaulted on his debts. Not trustworthy -2"

So basically the burger more than compensates for all that Cheesy

This shuldn't be entertaining, but damn it is  Smiley "the people" can easily go quite far from acting rational...

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 01:44:00 PM

It is amazing how many apps have 4 stars given with the comment "It doesn't do what it is supposed to and crashes my phone, but the user interface sure looks nice".

Perhaps there would be a way for other people to thumb up/down ratings to give them more or less weight?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 02:42:22 PM

It is amazing how many apps have 4 stars given with the comment "It doesn't do what it is supposed to and crashes my phone, but the user interface sure looks nice".

Perhaps there would be a way for other people to thumb up/down ratings to give them more or less weight?

I remember a hilarious review praising the hell out of the application, basically the best thing ever and solved all his problems, but it ended "3 bucks, too expensive. 1 star."

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
davidspitzer

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 03:26:44 PM

Can I get some thousands of bitcoins? I will take 20 scammer tags!

I will bet 500 pennies that nothing happens to Pirate, he'll pay back what he can... TONS of people will cry to the police/fbi whatever, but they'll be like uhhh, thanks for the details goodbye....

Everyone willingly gave this dude their money.. No way in hell is a forum post a legal binding contract.....

Oral contracts are binding in every state - there is a defense for certain contracts that fall under the statute of frauds

A "statute of frauds" requires that certain contracts be in writing, and that they be signed by all parties to be bound by the contract. Although there can be significant variation between jurisdictions, the most common types of contracts to which a statute of fraud applies are:

Surety and guaranty contracts – These are contracts where one party agrees to be responsible for another party’s debts.  A student loan co-signed by a parent is a good example.

A contract, for consideration, to marry – Modernly, this rule has been eliminated in many states for policy reasons

A contract that cannot be fulfilled within one year of the start of the contract – This generally means long terms contracts

A contract for the sale of goods over $500 or a lease of goods over $1000

Contract involving the exchange of land or real property, or an interest in real property (such as a lease)

A contract to give property on or after death

A contract to sell stocks and bonds

The UETA allows binding legal transactions to be created using email or electronic signature technology.  

If this is such a transaction that may fall under the statute of frauds, additional evidence can be submitted, receipts etc, to show a contract was in fact formed and that consideration was passed in order to prevent unjust enrichment by the Pirate40
bitcoinbear

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:16:42 PM

Everyone willingly gave this dude their money.. No way in hell is a forum post a legal binding contract.....

The internet is not some magical place outside of the law, of course an agreement on a forum is a legally binding contract. Any agreement is legally binding, from verbal to written on a napkin to signed in front of witnesses.

Actually, a forum post might be better than just a verbal agreement, because you can go back and point to it rather than just relying on people's word as to what was said.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
davidspitzer

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:18:34 PM

The internet is not some magical place outside of the law, of course an agreement on a forum is a legally binding contract. Any agreement is legally binding, from verbal to written on a napkin to signed in front of witnesses.

Actually, a forum post might be better than just a verbal agreement, because you can go back and point to it rather than just relying on people's word as to what was said.

It definitely does not hurt your cause. You will almost assuredly have valid cause of action if he fails to pay back your money
novusordo

Activity: 800

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:30:25 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2012, 03:30:34 PM by novusordo

It definitely does not hurt your cause. You will almost assuredly have valid cause of action if he fails to pay back your money

Let's say the pirate situation continues, and he keeps stalling payment to the point where it is blatantly obvious that he will not be paying back.

If a legal case emerges, and a judge rules that pirate has to pay back his investors, it could actually be extremely beneficial for Bitcoin as a whole. People would see that Bitcoin Land isn't just some wild-west place where they will surely lose anything they put into it. Instead, they might come to understand that there is no "Bitcoin Land," and that the people using Bitcoin are using real money value that holds weight in a court of law. It would instill a lot of confidence.

Oh, and bonus points if the judge makes pirate pay back in BTC rather than USD. Grin

EDIT: For clarity's sake, I'm not siding with one side or another saying that he will or will not pay out. There are crazies on both sides of the fence...  Tongue

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 10:00:51 PM

Did anyone sign a contract with pirate prior to sending them their coins?  Would the exchange of bitcoins count as an agreement of a contract?

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 01:27:17 AM

....the point where it is blatantly obvious that he will not be paying back.....If a legal case emerges.......

...that holds weight in a court of law......if the judge makes pirate pay back in BTC rather than USD

.......There are crazies on both sides of the fence...  Tongue

Being one of the local 'Crazies' as well as a believer in the possibility of Legal action, I do not think that a BTC 'payout' would be possible for a judge to hand down.

If/when Bitcoin finds it's day in court, I believe that it may very well be treated as a 'Commodity' and not a 'Currency'.

Although we use the term 'Mining' when referring to the generation of Bitcoins, the reality is, it can be better compared to 'Agriculture' or FARMING...either Livestock or Grown Food, both of which are commodities and can be either grown/produced/birthed OR purchased using a fiat currency.

Animals that are birthed on a farm have value, can be traded and are worth just as much as the same animal of comparable age etc, if acquired using fiat.
The same rings true for fruit, vegetables, plants and anything else that makes up a Farm's ability to sustain itself and prosper in the future.

From a Legal standpoint, Bitcoin has a far greater chance as a commodity than a currency.

bitcoinbear

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 02:27:16 AM

....the point where it is blatantly obvious that he will not be paying back.....If a legal case emerges.......

...that holds weight in a court of law......if the judge makes pirate pay back in BTC rather than USD

.......There are crazies on both sides of the fence...  Tongue

Being one of the local 'Crazies' as well as a believer in the possibility of Legal action, I do not think that a BTC 'payout' would be possible for a judge to hand down.

If/when Bitcoin finds it's day in court, I believe that it may very well be treated as a 'Commodity' and not a 'Currency'.

Although we use the term 'Mining' when referring to the generation of Bitcoins, the reality is, it can be better compared to 'Agriculture' or FARMING...either Livestock or Grown Food, both of which are commodities and can be either grown/produced/birthed OR purchased using a fiat currency.

Animals that are birthed on a farm have value, can be traded and are worth just as much as the same animal of comparable age etc, if acquired using fiat.
The same rings true for fruit, vegetables, plants and anything else that makes up a Farm's ability to sustain itself and prosper in the future.

From a Legal standpoint, Bitcoin has a far greater chance as a commodity than a currency.

Bitcoins do not grow old and die. You do not have to feed them either. They just sit around waiting to be spent, they are not good for much else. To me they resemble gold much more than fruit or cows.

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 08:22:46 AM

Did anyone sign a contract with pirate prior to sending them their coins?  Would the exchange of bitcoins count as an agreement of a contract?

Contract is a very simple concept. Generally to create a contract there should be an offer, acceptance of the offer and consideration.

In case of pirate, his forum or even IRC posts would be an offer. Opening an account with him would be acceptance of the offer. Sending some BTC would be consideration. As simple as that.

-
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 08:31:13 AM

Did anyone sign a contract with pirate prior to sending them their coins?  Would the exchange of bitcoins count as an agreement of a contract?
I don't think anyone signed a contract, but Pirate made an offer and people accepted it by doing what the offer told them to do.

If I say, "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today", and you give me a hamburger today, then I have to pay you Tuesday. If I do it reluctantly, you have a case against me.

Update: Or, what Validimir said above me. But I think I said it funnier.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 08:57:57 AM

Can't hand out any scammer tags until we know Pirateat40 wasn't hacked by some mysterious international art collector mafioso.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

novusordo

Activity: 800

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 03:25:00 PM

I agree that it would be more likely for Bitcoin to be treated as a commodity. Should've said "real value" instead of "real money."

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 03:43:09 PM

But I think I said it funnier.

I give you props. Your's was funny.

I must know one thing though - Do you really resemble the love child of Jesus Christ and the Unibomber in real life ? (I had to ask, no offence intended)....

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 12:04:42 AM

I must know one thing though - Do you really resemble the love child of Jesus Christ and the Unibomber in real life ? (I had to ask, no offence intended)....
You cannot imagine how spot on you are!

People say my driver's license picture looks exactly like the Unibomber. It could be the dictionary's picture for "terrorist".

And about ten years ago, my daughters swam competitively. To raise money, their team operated a Bingo hall. Each parent had to work a few days in the Bingo hall, and the old ladies there used to call me "Jesus".

So I'd say you nailed me.

As for offence, only two things have ever offended me. One was the Penn Jillette and Paul Provenza movie, "The Aristocrats", and I can't remember what the other is. It's really hard to offend me.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:59:37 AM

I just remember the old avatar pic and always wondered if that was really you Wink

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 08:22:22 PM

... and pay GST/HST or VAT on Bitcoin. No way!

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: