Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:40:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 data folder for win and linux  (Read 1009 times)
kwukduck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:21:21 PM

After i totally messed up my last ubuntu install after a lot of work to get everything i need running i used windows for a few weeks only.

Today i started building my linux system again and of course i run into trouble with bitcoin (again).

I try to use the same datadir as i us in windows to make sure i'm always using the same wallet, and whatever OS i'm using at that moment will be synced.

Problem is, when i try to load the datadir in ubuntu it gives me all kinds of DB errors and exceptions, when i go back to windows the same datadir works just fine. So i did some messing around.

When i use a clean datadir in ubuntu (empty wallet, fresh db and blockchain) it runs fine and fast, however if i replace the blockchain with the same blockchain from my windows install it pops the errors again...
Also, when i put my windows wallet file in the clean ubuntu bitcoin dir, it gives a db error and wont start.

All in all very annoying and i'd like to know if there's a dependable way to use the same datadir for both OS'.

Why is there some kind of difference anyway between the two??

oh btw, the linux wallet.dat works on windows, but the windows wallet.dat doesn't work on linux... O_o

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 02:07:15 PM

Enable "detach databases at shutdown" in the menu, or use the -detachdb configuration option, shutdown cleanly, and remove (or just don't copy) the database/ subdirectory between the two system.

The database environment is very system dependent, and BDB (the database engine we use) does not guarantee backward compatibility between environments. When detached from the environment, the database files themselves are backward compatible, though.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
kwukduck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:25:36 PM

Thank you, i checked that box in windows too and now i can use the same wallet in linux Smiley  Cool

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: