Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:00:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointalk.org Privacy Question  (Read 1709 times)
SoCalSlam (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:33:22 PM

I value my privacy and I want to know what information is safe on this forum, even from admins. If I deletes a post, is it really deleted? If I delete PM, is it really deleted? etc. Please someone give me the information as to what is saved and what is not. Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SoCalSlam (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 02:02:41 PM

Four moderators and no one can help me?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 02:08:46 PM

I would say nothing is deleted for good as soon as it touches the database.
But don't take my word for it. theymos will answer you for sure.
Don't complaint about people who don't have definite answers not giving them to you.
SoCalSlam (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 02:20:02 PM

I am not complaining, but I apologise for my impatience. So then it's safe to say that nothing is safe and nothing is private here?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 02:23:28 PM

I am not complaining, but I apologise for my impatience. So then it's safe to say that nothing is safe and nothing is private here?

You should assume that nothing is safe, yes.

Deleted posts can still be seen by admins, cannot be seen by moderators nor users. Deleted pms will be deleted, but the receiver would still have a copy which he could share with admin via report to admin.

They could also be accessed via the (encrypted) database backups if nothing else.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
SoCalSlam (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 02:33:39 PM

You should assume that nothing is safe, yes.

Deleted posts can still be seen by admins, cannot be seen by moderators nor users. Deleted pms will be deleted, but the receiver would still have a copy which he could share with admin via report to admin.

They could also be accessed via the (encrypted) database backups if nothing else.

By they, do you mean deleted posts or deleted pms or both?
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 02:42:29 PM

By they, do you mean deleted posts or deleted pms or both?

I think it would most likely be both as presumably they are both stored in the DB.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 02:43:08 PM

Yes, both.

SoCalSlam (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 02:47:43 PM

Deleted pms will be deleted, but the receiver would still have a copy which he could share with admin via report to admin.

In the case where both the sender and receiver delete the pm, it is still accessible through the database backups, yes?

Thank you all for the help. I am starting to understand how it works around here.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 02:55:36 PM

Thank you all for the help. I am starting to understand how it works around here.

Nothing to do with this site in particular - any Forum that uses a DB (and are there any that don't?) will always have the entire history of anything stored in the DB in the DB log (this is how DB's that support ACID tx's work).

Even if the log is truncated after every backup it is common practice to backup the current log along with the DB so that if all backups have been kept then it is always possible to do a complete rebuild of the DB from an initial DB and all the backed up logs.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 02:57:06 PM

Deleted pms will be deleted, but the receiver would still have a copy which he could share with admin via report to admin.

In the case where both the sender and receiver delete the pm, it is still accessible through the database backups, yes?

Like he said, that's the way it works on any forum. Everything is accessible from the database, and yes that would include pms.

It's always safe to assume that nothing you post on a forum (or the internet) can be removed entirely.

imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 02:57:53 PM

Nothing to do with this site in particular - any Forum that uses a DB (and are there any that don't?) will always have the entire history of anything stored in the DB in the DB log (this is how DB's that support ACID tx's work).

Even if the log is truncated after every backup it is common practice to backup the current log along with the DB so that if all backups have been kept then it is always possible to do a complete rebuild of the DB from an initial DB and all the backed up logs.

That will depend on how long the backups are kept as well.  If its only a rolling 4 weeks, for example, and the logs are also truncated after 4 weeks, realistically, there's a 2 month window.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 03:00:04 PM

That will depend on how long the backups are kept as well.  If its only a rolling 4 weeks, for example, and the logs are also truncated after 4 weeks, realistically, there's a 2 month window.

True - it very much depends upon how long backups are kept (for my own systems I have backups going back 10 years but perhaps they don't burn backups to CD-R for this forum).

BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 03:44:50 PM

If you want absolute assurance of what information is persistent -- just assume that anything you send or post could be copied, recovered, and/or reposted by someone else.

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 05:28:04 PM

Four moderators and no one can help me?

i'ld ask for a full refund if i were you.

it's safe to say that nothing is safe and nothing is private here?

it probably works like this.  if the admin wants to know something that was ever posted, pm'd or accessed, presume this is available online or recoverable from backups.  if the admin is being forced to divulge something that was posted, pm'd or accessed (e.g., if given a subpoena), then a retention policy would be produced and any records beyond that are no longer accessible.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 05:51:09 PM

Deleted posts are almost never removed from the database. A PM is removed from the database if the sender and all recipients delete it.

Full database backups are created daily, and all global moderators and admins can download the (encrypted) backups and implement their own rotation policies.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 06:42:57 PM

Deleted posts are almost never removed from the database. A PM is removed from the database if the sender and all recipients delete it.

Full database backups are created daily, and all global moderators and admins can download the (encrypted) backups and implement their own rotation policies.
Encrypted as in "they can download the backup to have it at multiple locations, but it's useless for them because they don't have the decryption key",
or encrypted as in "they can download and unpack the backup to read through everything, including PM's, because they too have the keys"?

If it's the second, then this is a huge privacy and security failure.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 06:49:37 PM

they can download the backup to have it at multiple locations, but it's useless for them because they don't have the decryption key

This.

Only me, Gavin, Satoshi, and Sirius can decrypt it.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 05:35:52 AM

If you want privacy, just use PGP.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 05:43:08 AM

If you want privacy, just use PGP.

This.

I send and receive GPG protected PM everyday.  Nobody can read them except the person(s) with the appropriate private key.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: