Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:03:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody notice the 100btc transaction fee on 27th April?  (Read 1713 times)
Q7 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 08:53:37 AM

I was looking at the stats and noticed that the transaction fee was at 100btc even though the number of transaction on that day was just a slight increase compared to the day before. It wasn't the highest though but I believe it has been quite some time though since we last seen that during the Mt Gox era

Just wondering what might have caused that because the first thing that comes to my mind was somebody accidentally or wrongly inserted the decimal point when adjusting the sending fees when performing transaction.

scientific

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 08:58:02 AM

Probably this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/33u2id/help_losing_over_85_btc_because_of_bitgos_flawed/
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 10:36:05 AM

Damn! that is harsh and very very big issue .
It's nice to see that the fee will be returned but that really scares the shit out of me .
I will not touch the custom fee adding function ever
TheGr33k

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:15:44 AM

It's nice to see that the fee will be returned but that really scares the shit out of me .
Same here. Its really great of bitman to work out with the guy to get most of his money back, even though it was not their error. See we have some good people left in bitcoin!
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:32:56 AM

Now when we witness this issue I think I could be a huge problem. Therefore I thought that there should be an option to limit custom transaction fee in every wallet options to prevent such huge losses.
Transaction fee should be limited to 1 BTC max imo. Larger fees should be only possible when you tinker with advanced options and enable it yourself.
But I honestly have no idea why anyone would want to add more than minimum as a  fee.
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:40:46 AM

Same here. Its really great of bitman to work out with the guy to get most of his money back, even though it was not their error. See we have some good people left in bitcoin!
A very nice silver lining story. Cheesy

At first I supposed that instead of 100mbtc they wrongly insert 100btc...
anyway, good they recovered those funds
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:51:31 AM

Its really great of bitman to work out with the guy...

In the Bitcoin community - it is easy to find lots of scamming assholes.  BitMain is not one of them.  BitMain has always been 100% awesome.  Especially in mining.  Nearly every mining manufacturer turned out to be a royal scam - only BitMain consistently delivers precisely what/when they say they will.  

BitMain rocks!
Zeroxal

Activity: 896
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 12:20:45 PM

Its really great of bitman to work out with the guy...

In the Bitcoin community - it is easy to find lots of scamming assholes.  BitMain is not one of them.  BitMain has always been 100% awesome.  Especially in mining.  Nearly every mining manufacturer turned out to be a royal scam - only BitMain consistently delivers precisely what/when they say they will.  

BitMain rocks!
I think Hashnest also belongs to bitmain. It always worked, always gave out right payout and they actually own the hardware lf the cloud miners. Bitmain is not a SCAMMING COMPANY!
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 2346

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 12:43:58 PM

Well wouldn't this be essentially be robbing the miners who are mining on their pool? My understanding of a pool's relationship with the mining utilizating their pool is that the pool is to distribute all of the mining revenue (including tx fees) to all of the miners with the amounts being distributed being based on the payout method. Just because someone makes a mistake in creating a transaction does not mean that the miners are not entitled to all of their income.

Although it is very clear in this case that the size of the TX fee was a mistake, it is difficult to draw the line between TX fee that is intended to get the transaction confirmed quickly and an erroneous transaction. As per the Bitcoin protocol the transaction was valid so IMO the sender should bear the cost of their mistake, be held accountable, and learn their lesson.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 12:46:23 PM

Bitmain is a SOLID company, let no one tell you different.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 04:58:12 PM

The guy got his funds back, VERY luck, and awesome play by the pool...
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 05:05:24 PM

Bitmain is a SOLID company, let no one tell you different.

I double this.
I got some of their Ants at different dates and everysignle time got AAA customer service and super fast shipping time, which is important for RIO.
Cruxer

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 05:08:20 PM

This guy is really lucky to receive his money back, Bitmain good job Smiley
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 05:12:52 PM

-snip-
Well wouldn't this be essentially be robbing the miners who are mining on their pool? My understanding of a pool's relationship with the mining utilizating their pool is that the pool is to distribute all of the mining revenue (including tx fees) to all of the miners with the amounts being distributed being based on the payout method. Just because someone makes a mistake in creating a transaction does not mean that the miners are not entitled to all of their income.

Although it is very clear in this case that the size of the TX fee was a mistake, it is difficult to draw the line between TX fee that is intended to get the transaction confirmed quickly and an erroneous transaction. As per the Bitcoin protocol the transaction was valid so IMO the sender should bear the cost of their mistake, be held accountable, and learn their lesson.

Firstly this was not an user mistake. The user in question "uncovered" a bug the worst way possible, by having to face its problematic issues. According to reddit they have been issued a 25 BTC bug bounty on top of the returned payment. It apparently was an overflow[1] in the BitGo API.

Most pools act in a similar fashion when a mistake happens and yes this happens quite often. Several times a year I think. This is probably something pools should have in their ToS if they have any. I think its the morally correct thing to do and returning the fee is an overall win for BinMain, just see the reactions in this thread and how it affected their public stance. Now imagine they would have kept the funds. I think its very likely that many miners would have changed the pool even though they profited from the "mistake".

[1] https://np.reddit.com/comments/33u8vq//cqofrit

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Phat Buzz Tart

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 05:18:02 PM

This guy is really lucky to get his coins back.
They could have went to another pool that wouldn't care or even one of those unknown IP address miners.
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 05:19:01 PM

-snip-

Firstly this was not an user mistake. The user in question "uncovered" a bug the worst way possible, by having to face its problematic issues. According to reddit they have been issued a 25 BTC bug bounty on top of the returned payment. It apparently was an overflow[1] in the BitGo API.

Most pools act in a similar fashion when a mistake happens and yes this happens quite often. Several times a year I think. This is probably something pools should have in their ToS if they have any. I think its the morally correct thing to do and returning the fee is an overall win for BinMain, just see the reactions in this thread and how it affected their public stance. Now imagine they would have kept the funds. I think its very likely that many miners would have changed the pool even though they profited from the "mistake".

Wow! a 25 btc bounty ?
Now i feel like i should have been that guy but than again , i don't have that big amount anyway Cheesy
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 2346

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 05:43:13 PM

-snip-

Well the term "user" is being used in respect to to the fact that someone somehow caused a tx to be signed and broadcast that included such large fee. The fact that a program had a "bug" verses a user erroneously somehow manually created such transaction is a moot point IMO.

There are legit reasons why someone would want to include a large (although probably not this large) tx fee when a large tx fee is not necessary per current standards, examples would include when a loan is due by a certain block number, there is an unusually large number of unconfirmed txs in the mempool, an usually long time between blocks at a given point in time (this would go hand in hand with a large number of unconfirmed txs), your private keys are compromised by someone with a large amount of mining power (even if nodes would reject a double spend tx, as long as the tx is unconfirmed they can include a double spend in a block they find), other miscellaneous reasons to want to double spend an unconfirmed tx among other reasons.

I would agree that pools should include in their TOS that under a strict set of guidelines that an erroneous TX fee will be returned to the spender. I also agree that this positively affects bitmain's public reputation.

One addition problem that returning funds causes is that it is difficult to know where to return the funds to. I believe in this case there was only one output address (eg no change address) although most of the time this will not be the case (and in some cases there may be more then two outputs for a variety of reasons). Add this to the fact that the "sending" address cannot always be reasonably determined by looking at the blockchain, and even when you think you can accurately determine the "sending" address you will be incorrect (although I believe this to be very rare).

Above the above issues you have the fact that a "receiving" address would only benefit someone for a certain period of time. One example of this is bitmixer - I believe they only agree to forward funds to their customers that are received within a certain amount of time, and if a pool were to send funds after this time has expired then they might not receive benefit from funds being returned anyway.

While I think in the vast majority of cases it is appropriate to return excess funds that you were not owed, I think there are too many unknowns when dealing with a pool in this regard.

also a lot of the people posting here don't actually have an option, they are just spamming their signatures
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 05:51:44 PM

Good to see that the user got its funds back. I always put custom tx fee whenever I make a transaction, and so far I haven't experienced the same. Reading the thread, it seems that there is a bug on the API and the user who made the "mistake" ended up receiving more than what the cost is. Pretty good outcome. Smiley
ashour

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 06:14:59 PM

Yep it was probably that dude, but all went good for him since he received his coins back. BitGo messed something with their encryption tool and caused this transaction spike.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 06:32:20 PM

Yup, that is indeed insane. That's why my paranoia is good in a way, because if I need to do a big transaction (and I wish I had that kind of money to worry about things like this) I would never send 100 BTC at once, but in batches, or at least do a initial small transaction to see that everything is in order.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: