Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:35:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If Mark Karpeles were running the top exchange, we would've had another rally.  (Read 1072 times)
jehst (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 01:15:46 AM

True or false?

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 05:47:45 AM

Its hard to say true or false to this its pretty much speculation.  However if you believe bitcoin price was all based on an exchanges ability to manipulate then this is actually great news for hodlers because if its that easy it will happen again.
bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 05:53:07 AM

ya know, hard to say.. but its pretty obvious or one hell of a coincidence that btc shot up like it did and they had that bot or whatever.. if mt gox made btc go up, too bad they went under, lol.
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 06:04:10 AM

You just had to reply, and so did I. The evidence is that karpeles [was] probably lifted [of] hundreds of thousands of btc in 2011, he was likely just trying to remain solvent and keep the charade going using accounts that purchased with phantom dollars in 2013.

China played a big role, but the "real" and relentless buying with fake money hit hard too. It is safe to assume we don't want that scenario again, and it may be limited/impossible now that the activity is spread across several platforms.

We're in the midst of trying to determine the real level, with the wildcards of GBTC and the KnC ETN on nasdaq nordic. The price has to sustain the selling pressure of early adopters to holding thousands of coins diversifying, miners selling to pay bills, businesses converting to fiat. Steep climb until the halving, but sure to be a fun ride.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 09:52:51 AM

Very possible. He would at least attempt to get a huge user base to steal coins from again. Who knows what he would do to avhieve that.
I doubt that's going to happen though. I think he's good for now sitting on 500k BTC with his fat ass.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:48:14 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2015, 06:08:02 PM by Amph

i would expect a less higher ath price if there was another big pump like the one from 2013, just to hides his moves maybe
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 11:16:11 AM

True or false?

Funny that you mentioned that, because Karpeles mentioned that he would see Bitcoin go above 1000 USD by the end of 2013 in this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4l_lHGMhlw

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
jehst (OP)

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 01:03:15 PM

Its hard to say true or false to this its pretty much speculation.  However if you believe bitcoin price was all based on an exchanges ability to manipulate then this is actually great news for hodlers because if its that easy it will happen again.

I don't think the price was all based on manipulation. Real money was changing hands at every price. But I think that the market was given nudges. There were times when the bulls were running out of steam and a nudge made it look like buying pressure was inexhaustible.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 01:05:45 PM

he would because it was very easy for him to make loads of money very quick. i'm quite sure he would repeat it for another big rally. thiefs are thiefs.
ronald98

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 01:24:56 PM

Before the rally Mt Gox had the biggest market share. The volume on the other exchanges was insignificant compared to it. No one  exchange has that market share today, so even if Mark Karpeles was running the top exchange it would not have market share needed to fake another rally.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:49:40 PM

Before the rally Mt Gox had the biggest market share. The volume on the other exchanges was insignificant compared to it. No one  exchange has that market share today, so even if Mark Karpeles was running the top exchange it would not have market share needed to fake another rally.

That inspired me to look back through historical market shares.

http://data.bitcoinity.org/markets/volume/2y?c=e&t=a&volume_unit=btc

It's mind blowing that Gox still had such a large share in late 2013 considering you couldn't get one cent out of it for multiple months leading up to the major rally.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 08:42:59 PM

True or false?
False. It's delusional to think that "willy the bot" was fully responsible for the big 1K peak. The bot was only a fraction of the pump, you would need excited people to follow up with the pumping, otherwise it would never work. Also, all exchanges have bots on them putting fake orders, including regular stock exchanges.
kerafym

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:58:51 PM

False. There are already many alternative exchanges out there.

S P 8 D E        ♠       THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.       ♠         READ WHITEPAPER       
    TOKENS        A DECENTRALIZED PLATFORM FOR GAMING DAPPS        ROADMAP   
ANN THREAD       FACEBOOK       TWITTER       TELEGRAM       YOUTUBE       MEDIUM       REDDIT
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: