Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:45:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF is this? Someone found a trick for fast mining?  (Read 15807 times)
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:54:20 PM

Just pot luck with them blocks being mined had it myself when mining other tpyes of crypto mining shead loads blocks then a drout of mining and no blocks and then a burst of blocks. often not is just pure luck to get something like that happen. Having a lot of hash power does help too

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 09:02:33 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2015, 09:19:03 PM by gmaxwell

Until further notice I believe it has been shown that the pattern detected can only appear every several years.

Did you not read and understand the point I made about your post-hoc rule selection? (First half of https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1045381.msg11268595#msg11268595)

One cannot define rules after the fact that match the data then use that to argue that there was some improbable effect; e.g. "the last 4 nonces were 3091427529, 3627164536, 545428875, 138911025 ... what is the probability that those four specific nonces would arise in a row? 1/2^128!!!!!". No, the probability is _one_ because I picked the criteria out of blocks 354823,  354824, 354825, 354826. We learned _nothing_ from that observation.

This works similarly for more complex tests, for example "A run of 4 nonces where exactly one of the 6 unique pairs constructable from the set doesn't have coprime nonces, and the non-coprime pair is the second and last nonce with a GCD of 3" is a rarely met criteria which also matches your data;  but that doesn't mean there there is some evil almost-but-not-entirely-coprime conspiracy... or your differences between nonces test. The extra complexity doesn't make the reasoning any less fallacious, it just makes it harder for people to notice that its poorly reasoned.

For me this is unusual. Maybe not for you, maybe not for gmaxwell that claims from his knowledge that the odd  distribution of nounces can be due to mining hardware. I am willing to believe that but I am waiting for the links to algorithms in the mining hardware that produce this type of bias in the nounces. If these links do not exist it means that these facts are not in the public knowledge.

I explained specifically how and why miners select nonces non-uniformly-- I would ask if you missed the post, but you responded to it; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1045381.msg11266349#msg11266349.

You gave no indication that you were "waiting" on anything-- you even responded "This makes sense"--, if I didn't see this post would you just go ahead and declare default as you did earlier in this thread to jl2012?  I've already wasted an incredible amount of time responding to you, but I won't make claims and fail to back them up if someone finds them implausible.

However, you're not going to get a compact "algorithm" because there isn't a compact description for it, as the behavior is a product of the physical geometry of the part, random decisions decisions, and even the failed engines on particular chips; ranges are also truncated for load distribution across chips, and to control latency.  The behavior is well known, documented in various data sheets (see, for example register 0x7f), and even sometimes used for device autodetection by some pools and mining software (Even for just mode detection, E.g. the icarus driver sends a dummy work task to the miner which was chosen to have 4 different solutions, and figures out what mode the chip is in based on which solution it returns). Historically, before extranonce rolling existed, nonce restrictions were used to reduce work on pools. Of course, it's not the _most_ commonly discussed thing; because its fundamentally uninteresting-- all nonces are equally good so if some device only uses some subset of them the response of an engineer working on software for them is just "okay, thanks for telling me.", they write it into their implementation, and they move on with life; they don't go and author a press release.

And yes, reducing the range it results in some additional extranonce work, but extranonce work is trivial already-- a single cheap micocontroller can do the extranonce work for many TH/s of mining.

And the nounce is just one of the facts that make this sequence of validations unusual.
And what are your other _exact_ criteria? Please lay out the exact test you suggest which shows those blocks to be improbable in a single post in a list so there is no confusion... I've not seeing _anything_ exceptional about these blocks, excepting the fallacious post-hoc selection of criteria to exactly fit them around nonces.
bitcoinbeliever

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 09:15:10 PM

A node of mine received these blocks at the following times

2015-05-02 12:29:45 height=354640

2015-05-02 13:06:01 height=354641
2015-05-02 13:09:46 height=354642
2015-05-02 13:12:59 height=354643
2015-05-02 13:17:45 height=354644

meh.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 09:25:00 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2015, 10:39:21 PM by gmaxwell

A node of mine received these blocks at the following times
As an aside-- I suspect your time is somewhat off, since there is basically a constant offset of a couple minutes between your and my numbers. (My clock is timed off a local atomic clock which is wsynced to UTC with a GPS timing receiver; it agrees with a remote stratum 1 NTP server by better than 1ms).
meh.
Indeed.
lontivero

Activity: 164
Merit: 126

Amazing times are coming

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 11:49:14 PM

I've already wasted an incredible amount of time responding to you

Clearly you did it but I don't believe it was in vain, the discussion have very useful information and many of us are learning from this. Furthermore, your explanations were absolutely necessary. 
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 12:16:10 AM

I've already wasted an incredible amount of time responding to you

Clearly you did it but I don't believe it was in vain, the discussion have very useful information and many of us are learning from this. Furthermore, your explanations were absolutely necessary.  

Agreed, there were a few new things I learned from gmaxwell's posts. He is a gentleman and scholar. What is amazing about Bitcoin is that there is so much information to absorb and so many nuances and developments that you really should approach it with a bit of humility. I learn something new almost everyday.

valiron (OP)

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 12:55:18 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2015, 01:25:02 AM by valiron

I also don't understand so much aggressivity. It is disturbing to say the least.
Huh, you found nothing special in blockchain (yes, I could be wrong here) but the reaction to your post is very, very interesting.
For reference:
Redesign of bitcoin block header
Potentially faster method for mining on the CPU

EDIT:
Do we try to hide something disturbing?
Only valiron does. He claims there's something wrong with the mining process but won't explain what. Nobody else is trying to hide it, whatever "it" is.
Did Sergio_Demian_Lerner published details about found attacks?
Today is the third time I find an attack to the way Bitcoin uses SHA-256 to perform mining. Two of the attacks belong to a new family of attacks that involve terribly technical details about the inner workings of SHA-256. These are attacks that may impact on Bitcoin probably not before 5 years, and they could even never have a real impact on Bitcoin. I will talk openly about them when I can really tell if they could affect Bitcoin.

Thank you for the links. The second link hints at something but it is not implementable as described (this is well known to any cryptographer and I am not hinting at any secret knowledge. If workable as described it could be used to find collisions of the hashing algorithm).

If I understand properly Sergio Demian states the weakness of the current mining algorithm and proposes a partial solution modifying the block headers. So, since this information is in a public blog, this weakness, or people claiming it, is also public knowledge, thus there is no reason any one gets mad when someone mentions it. Right?
valiron (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 12:57:24 AM

A related question is: Are the algorithms in different ASICs in the public domain or are they proprietary? And then if they are not, I ask you guys asking for transparency if you didn't ask to the ASIC manufacturers for transparency. Did you? Where you as aggressive? Did the moderators label them as scammers for not revealing the inside proprietary algorithms? Or on the contrary were they allowed to advertise their products in the forum?
The ASICs don't have algorithms per se to hash SHA256d. From what I understand, the ASIC chips are just a bunch of physical circuits that perform a SHA256 hash. These are mostly not public domain.
I also thought that the nonces were determined by the software from the computer that the miner is connected to e.g. cgminer or bfgminer. These software are open source.

The algorithm to do the SHA256d could be in software but it does make sense to put the entire algorithm on the chip to have dedicated bitcoin mining hardware.

Is it the case?
valiron (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:17:22 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2015, 01:51:01 AM by valiron

Until further notice I believe it has been shown that the pattern detected can only appear every several years.

Did you not read and understand the point I made about your post-hoc rule selection? (First half of https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1045381.msg11268595#msg11268595)

One cannot define rules after the fact that match the data then use that to argue that there was some improbable effect; e.g. "the last 4 nonces were 3091427529, 3627164536, 545428875, 138911025 ... what is the probability that those four specific nonces would arise in a row? 1/2^128!!!!!". No, the probability is _one_ because I picked the criteria out of blocks 354823,  354824, 354825, 354826. We learned _nothing_ from that observation.

This works similarly for more complex tests, for example "A run of 4 nonces where exactly one of the 6 unique pairs constructable from the set doesn't have coprime nonces, and the non-coprime pair is the second and last nonce with a GCD of 3" is a rarely met criteria which also matches your data;  but that doesn't mean there there is some evil almost-but-not-entirely-coprime conspiracy... or your differences between nonces test. The extra complexity doesn't make the reasoning any less fallacious, it just makes it harder for people to notice that its poorly reasoned.

You are manipulating and you know it.

Let me formulate this in a different manner: What would you consider out of normal for the proximity of the nounces of consecutive blocks?
For example, 100 consecutive blocks with nounces nearby 1% of their range would this be out of normal to you?
If it is (as for 99.99% of normal people), how would you go about proving that is out of normal? Won't you compute the probability of seeing this occurence?
But then it will be fallacious according to your comment since it is "after the fact"!!!
Nonsense!! Otherwise empirical knowledge won't exist!!

Come on....what is not allowed is to pick an artificial or stupid complicate criteria. To look at nounce dispersion is natural.

For me this is unusual. Maybe not for you, maybe not for gmaxwell that claims from his knowledge that the odd  distribution of nounces can be due to mining hardware. I am willing to believe that but I am waiting for the links to algorithms in the mining hardware that produce this type of bias in the nounces. If these links do not exist it means that these facts are not in the public knowledge.

I explained specifically how and why miners select nonces non-uniformly-- I would ask if you missed the post, but you responded to it; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1045381.msg11266349#msg11266349.

You gave no indication that you were "waiting" on anything-- you even responded "This makes sense"--, if I didn't see this post would you just go ahead and declare default as you did earlier in this thread to jl2012?  I've already wasted an incredible amount of time responding to you, but I won't make claims and fail to back them up if someone finds them implausible.

However, you're not going to get a compact "algorithm" because there isn't a compact description for it, as the behavior is a product of the physical geometry of the part, random decisions decisions, and even the failed engines on particular chips; ranges are also truncated for load distribution across chips, and to control latency.  The behavior is well known, documented in various data sheets (see, for example register 0x7f), and even sometimes used for device autodetection by some pools and mining software (Even for just mode detection, E.g. the icarus driver sends a dummy work task to the miner which was chosen to have 4 different solutions, and figures out what mode the chip is in based on which solution it returns). Historically, before extranonce rolling existed, nonce restrictions were used to reduce work on pools. Of course, it's not the _most_ commonly discussed thing; because its fundamentally uninteresting-- all nonces are equally good so if some device only uses some subset of them the response of an engineer working on software for them is just "okay, thanks for telling me.", they write it into their implementation, and they move on with life; they don't go and author a press release.

And yes, reducing the range it results in some additional extranonce work, but extranonce work is trivial already-- a single cheap micocontroller can do the extranonce work for many TH/s of mining.

Thanks for the links. I will take the time to study them. It is a bit disappointing that there are no technical description of the inner working of ASICs or more precise description how miners work.

And the nounce is just one of the facts that make this sequence of validations unusual.
And what are your other _exact_ criteria? Please lay out the exact test you suggest which shows those blocks to be improbable in a single post in a list so there is no confusion... I've not seeing _anything_ exceptional about these blocks, excepting the fallacious post-hoc selection of criteria to exactly fit them around nonces.

I guess you missed this post:

For the record:

My conclusion is that the nounces produced by this miner are likely not independent and the mining procedure is not the usual one and it uses previous block computations or doesn't uses much the nounce variable.

But this is just one piece of evidence.

The second one, about the block size, also points to the fact that it is the same miner who mined the blocks. 731 kB blocks are quite common as noted earlier by someone else, but it is not
very likely either to find them consecutively. Moreover I bet that they cluster more often than expected and this can be checked running statistics on the blockchain.

The third piece of evidence is how close in time are these blocks. THe probability is not alarmingly small and can be computed by the Poisson distribution that follow times between blocks.

The fourth piece of evidence is the non-chronological timestamps that suggest that the timestap maleability is also used as nounce (this fact was already noted for blocks with only one transaction).

The fifth piece of evidence is that the first block is mined by AntPool and the next 3 by anonymous. It is not so common to have consecutive anonymous blocks,
This indicates that the miner is trying to hide that he is the same one mining.

We can compute/estimate the probability of all the other "pieces of evidence" that are independent events with small probabilities. What is astonishing is the coincidence of all these facts. I believe they prove that all 4 blocks were mined by the same miner (then these facts would not be independent and it makes more sense that they occur simultaneously).

Let me ask you something simple: Do you think these four blocks were mined by the same miner?

Finally, I remind you what you wrote:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=30991

Accordingly; I'll remove this negative rating (or downgrade it to neutral) when Valiron either retracts or substantiates his position.

I have retracted and erased all claims. I wait for your gentleman's word of removing your negative rating.

(also, I understood that the forum "Trust system" is for trading (since the first thing you see is "Trade with extreme caution!"). I doesn't seem to be designed to be used for academic discrepancy.
I haven't traded anything with you, and everybody with whom I have traded are 100% satisfied. I would appreciate that you don't use your trustworthy position in order to discredit me for disagreeing academically with you.
Moreover your comments "I suspect Valiron is either trying to scam someone out of paying for his "knowledge" or that he is attempting to manipulate the market price of Bitcoin; " are diffamatory and without ground. Also it is
ridiculous to pretend that I can manipulate the market by discussing anomalies in the block validations! I believe that the bitcoin market is a bit more robust...).

smolen

Activity: 524
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 02:10:46 AM

If I understand properly Sergio Demian states the weakness of the current mining algorithm and proposes a partial solution modifying the block headers. So, since this information is in a public blog, this weakness, or people claiming it, is also public knowledge, thus there is no reason any one gets mad when someone mentions it. Right?
I was unable to reconstruct suspected vulnerability from proposed defense. The discussion in the linked thread was mostly about compatibility, not about cryptography. Also, new Sergio's idea about approximation of double SHA256 is not discussed here, as well as his guess about Satoshi using Gray code optimization for early mining. Strange.

Of course I gave you bad advice. Good one is way out of your price range.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2015, 03:08:31 AM

I mentioned it non-specifically in my first response in this thread; (actually some things even more powerful than that). The objection was always the claim of "secret" knowledge supposedly supported by these very non-specifically identified blocks. Sergio actually described the optimizations he was talking about; as have a great many people. Not said they were keeping them secret and then "oh yea that" when other people play guessing games with other already known optimizations (which there have been easily a dozen discussed over the years);  especially not using alarming words like "premining" (which is a term used for a oft-perceived dishonest move in pump-and-dump altcoins).
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2015, 04:53:35 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2015, 08:09:45 AM by gmaxwell
Merited by Foxpup (3)

I'm not, I am making the most simplistic of statistical arguments against a logical fallacy. To say it technically you've adopted a model so complex that we cannot tell if you've overfit and can not reject the null hypothesis.

I can demonstrate this another way;  lets take your proposed tests:

"having 4 nounces with differences less than 1.8%, 0.12% and 7.2% respectively  of the range in this order."

"the block size, also points to the fact that it is the same miner who mined the blocks. 731 kB blocks are quite common as noted earlier by someone else, but it is not
very likely either to find them consecutively. " you haven't given a numerical threshold, so I'll just take that to be sizes within 10%

"The third piece of evidence is how close in time are these blocks."-- they're not actually unusually close, given hashrate changes, but I'll apply the softer limit of allow below 10 minutes.

"The fourth piece of evidence is the non-chronological timestamps " -- these are also fairly common through Bitcoin's history; but I'll go ahead and apply it too.

"The fifth piece of evidence is that the first block is mined by AntPool and the next 3 by anonymous." -- I can't mechanically apply this one, since it's just bc.i's opinion; but as you'll see leaving out a constraint only aids your argument now.

This is your test for a specific non-disclosed mining optimization. Since you won't disclose the optimization I cannot argue with that point, though it sounds implausibly over-complex.

Now we're going to ask the related question:  "How much of the network is using the optimization identified by this test?";

There are _no_ there matches in the blockchain meeting that criteria other than the single range you've named.   What should we then assume the proportion of hashrate using your optimization is?  Approximately 0.

If it is (as for 99.99% of normal people), how would you go about proving that is out of normal? Won't you compute the probability of seeing this occurence?
But then it will be fallacious according to your comment since it is "after the fact"!!!
It's well established that normal people routinely engage in completely defective statistical reasoning. Statistics are unintuitive to people, virtually everyone finds qualitative reasoning more intuitive than quantitative reasoning.

An ideal way to reason about things is to first understand the process; form a hypothesis and from the hypothesis develop a model without looking at the data:  "If vulnerability X is being exploited I will see blocks of with structures and probabilities X, if X is not exploited I will see blocks with structures and probabilities !X". You can then ask what the KL divergence of these two distributions are, and if it is very small then you will gain almost no confidence even with many observations; the question may be undecidable. If there is a separation between the probabilities  then observations one can then apply a statical test to reject one alternative or another with a intentional level of chance of error.

An example of this would be "From the structure of SHA256, and the fact that the 80 byte input requires two runs of the compression function; someone could create slightly more efficient specialized hardware which hardcodes much of the message expansion and initial rounds from the second compression function run-- and scans by rolling the block version.  If this optimization were at play I would expect to find that the block version would have very high entropy, perhaps 32 bits though anything more than a few bits would be suspicious; blocks exploiting this behavior would be expected to have uniform version numbers, rather than a constant in non-exploiting blocks"  We could then apply this test to the blockchain, and because of the big gap between two cases we could decide pretty quickly if the test was indicating. This isn't a definitive test; there could be other reasons for the strange behavior, like miners trying to reduce their network bandwidth usage; we could try to make it more specific by adding a rule like "and we expect blocks with random versions to have nonces with far less entropy".  ---- unfortunately, keeping the reasoning private prevents that kind of thoughtful analysis; all we can go on is how "weird" blocks are in the absence of a reasoned model, and thats not very useful since every block is "weird" by some definition.  Its like if you look for the number 11 you'll find it everywhere.

Sometimes there are free parameters-- we want to ask a question like "does weight over some threshold cause heart attacks? and if so what is that threshold?", without knowing the parameter in advance. This had the danger of fitting the model to the data and telling us nothing at all (like my example of "predicting" the nonces that just happened);  one tool used to address this problem with parametric models is cross validation:  You split your observations up and use one subset to train the model and the other to test.  If the effectiveness goes away during cross-validation the model is likely overfit. The protection isn't perfect because if you tweak the scheme based on the results you miss overfitting the "meta"-parameters..   This is effectively the test I applied above:  You fit a model (a set of gap differences, block timstamps, inter-arrival times) and I excluded a single hit which you appear to have used to set your parameters from the testing set and found your model matched _no_ blocks at all.

Come on....what is not allowed is to pick an artificial or stupid complicate criteria. To look at nounce dispersion is natural.
What shouldn't be allowed is bad statistical reasoning, which can happen no matter how "natural" your model is, what primarily matters is how many degrees of freedom it has.  What you are looking at there is _not_ dispersion; I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant one of the standard metrics for dispersion (_range_) and you insisted on a complex polytope shape constraint; with probably something on the order of 34 bits of parameter space (three percentages to 0.1 precision without permutation), plus some more model freedom in that its looking at differences instead of absolute values.

If I instead use the standard deviation (another common dispersion metric) we that 0.1875% of 4-block sets (given uniform nonces) would have a standard deviation as low as your selected one; so again, something we'd see every few days.

or more precise description how miners work.
There is huge amounts of information; everything is open source except for the RTL and mask images of common hardware; though most follow not too far from prior FPGA designs in their overall structure.

Let me ask you something simple: Do you think these four blocks were mined by the same miner?
It appears unlikely, all four are miners that appear to constantly reuse a static address for their income, but they're each different.  Walletexplorer does an overly aggressive 'taint' analysis and links many addresses to each, but they're disjoint.  The lowest number appears to be antpool, the next appears to be AnxPro.com, the next is likely Polmine.pl (it frequently pays addresses connected with polmine.pl).

We can compute/estimate the probability of all the other "pieces of evidence" that are independent events with small probabilities. What is astonishing is the coincidence of all these facts.
There is nothing astonishing that when you pick criteria to fit the data, you find that it fits the data. There is also nothing astonishing that when a model created this way seems unlikely on a uniform basis that it will fail to generalize to anything but the data you fit it on.

I believe they prove that all 4 blocks were mined by the same miner (then these facts would not be independent and it makes more sense that they occur simultaneously).

Great; so you'll accept concrete proof that these blocks were mined by independent parties as a definitive proof that you were incorrect?

I have retracted and erased all claims. I wait for your gentleman's word of removing your negative rating.
(also, I understood that the forum "Trust system" is for trading (since the first thing you see is "Trade with extreme caution!"). I doesn't seem to be designed to be used for academic discrepancy.
I'm having a hard time figuring out what you mean by retracted and erased;  your posts in this thread continue to claim  "It is clear that someone found a trick for fast mining. I kind of happen to know what might be.", "It is premining at some extend. Won't disclose more for the moment." and so on.  You continue to hold that you have "secret" knowledge which you will not disclose so that it can be discussed on its merits or lack thereof-- this entire thread is a great big advertisement for this claim and seems to have served you little other purpose; which the experienced professionals on this forum find to be non-credible and not supported by the evidence you've presented.

I haven't traded anything with you, and everybody with whom I have traded are 100% satisfied. I would appreciate that you don't use your trustworthy position in order to discredit me for disagreeing academically with you.
Moreover your comments "I suspect Valiron is either trying to scam someone out of paying for his "knowledge" or that he is attempting to manipulate the market price of Bitcoin; " are diffamatory and without ground. Also it is
ridiculous to pretend that I can manipulate the market by discussing anomalies in the block validations! I believe that the bitcoin market is a bit more robust...).

As I explained privately, your behavior so far is indistinguishable from a person who is willfully and fraudulently claiming to know of non-public mining optimizations in the hope of selling them to some greedy sucker who is unable to assess their merit except on the your misleading qualitative claim that the blocks look 'weird'.  Protecting the forum's participants from being deceived themselves or from suffering the traffic from a flood of hopeful scammers demands that we call it out when we see the potential of it-- I say this not as the subfourm moderator or a developer of the Bitcoin system, but just as a community member... There is plenty of room for doubt; I'd say it's even more likely that you're just confused by the statistics of it, but the benefit of doubt can't be given freely, since those looking to exploit people will just sail through that opening.  I offered you a simple mechanism which you can use to distinguish yourself-- share your complete theory with (ideally) the thread or privately with a respected member of the community; in doing so you gain the ability to refine it against the forge of experience, discover what (if any) parts are already known; and, in the possibility that there is something to be concerned about, gain the ability to protect Bitcoin from any potential harm if required.  (I think you greatly underestimate the potential harm of privately held substantial mining optimizations-- beyond some threshold they would result in the complete centralization of the bitcoin system)

The forum trust is a metric of trust; I explained in the rating where the distrust comes from. Your claims here are not credible to any of the subject matter experts and as far as we can tell they're based on erroneous statistical reasoning, you're shielding your theories from criticism by hiding behind secrecy, forcing a debate around statistical minutia and how "weird" the blocks feel qualitatively, rather than the merits of your idea. Only a few weeks ago you were asking questions (using asics to hash files) that showed a profound lack of research and understanding of Bitcoin mining.  I want to be sure someone considering trading with you over these ideas is aware that other community members do not currently consider your claims credible or likely to be well founded. Anyone is free to read the rating and come to their own conclusions.

I'm sorry that you find it heavy-handed.  I would prefer if there were a way to make ratings which were more targeted or conditional. In consideration of this, I'll go and reduce it to neutral to avoid triggering the red flag on you. I am not seeking to cause you distress.
valiron (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 08:16:23 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2015, 08:30:26 AM by valiron

I'm not, I am making the most simplistic of statistical arguments against a logical fallacy. To say it technically you've adopted a model so complex that we cannot tell if you've overfit and can not reject the null hypothesis.

I can demonstrate this another way;  lets take your proposed tests:

"having 4 nounces with differences less than 1.8%, 0.12% and 7.2% respectively  of the range in this order."

"the block size, also points to the fact that it is the same miner who mined the blocks. 731 kB blocks are quite common as noted earlier by someone else, but it is not
very likely either to find them consecutively. " you haven't given a numerical threshold, so I'll just take that to be sizes within 10%

"The third piece of evidence is how close in time are these blocks."-- they're not actually unusually close, given hashrate changes, but I'll apply the softer limit of allow below 10 minutes.

"The fourth piece of evidence is the non-chronological timestamps " -- these are also fairly common through Bitcoin's history; but I'll go ahead and apply it too.

"The fifth piece of evidence is that the first block is mined by AntPool and the next 3 by anonymous." -- I can't mechanically apply this one, since it's just bc.i's opinion; but as you'll see leaving out a constraint only aids your argument now.

This is your test for a specific non-disclosed mining optimization. Since you won't disclose the optimization I cannot argue with that point, though it sounds implausibly over-complex.

Now we're going to ask the related question:  "How much of the network is using the optimization identified by this test?";

There are _no_ there matches in the blockchain meeting that criteria other than the single range you've named.   What should we then assume the proportion of hashrate using your optimization is?  Approximately 0.

You will agree that this facts are independent by themselves. You will agree that they happen rarely with a small probability. The probability of seeing them simultaneously is small.

You add: "This is your test for a specific non-disclosed mining optimization." No, it is not. This is my test to detect that something out of normal is happening.
Don't insist on this line. I have withdraw any claim about mining optimization. Why are you insisting into something that I won't discuss?

It's well established that normal people routinely engage in completely defective statistical reasoning. Statistics are unintuitive to people, virtually everyone finds qualitative reasoning more intuitive than quantitative reasoning.

I did ask a very simple question and you are unable to answer it in simple form: "how would you go about proving that this is out of normal?". Let me rephrase: What is sufficient evidence to infer that something out of your knownledge is going on?
This is a question that ask working scientists ask themselves all the time.

What you do is to explain that in order to detect something out of normal going on you need to have a working hypothesis. This would be great but it is not always the case. Indeed most of the time is not the case.
For example, astronomers detected  anomalies provoked by Pluton before knowing its existence, or noticed the advance of the perihelion of Mercury well before having a clue about General Relativity.

So, from what you tell, for you to see 100 nounces in consecutive blocks won't be out of normal? How many do you need? 1.000? 10.000? And then how will you go about proving that this is anomalous? i.e. what will be your test?
Very simple question to which you don't provide a simple answer. From what you tell you seem to refuse that there is any anomaly if you don't have a working hypothesis (!). I guess that that's exclusively your problem.
On top of that you deny anyone else the possibility of inferring that something out of normal is going on, even when confronted with ridiculous probabilities. This seems to me pretty short sighted.

An ideal way to reason about things (...)

There is no "ideal way to reason about thing". We reason with what we have and observe and we cannot choose it.

(...)is to first understand the process;

Yea...so astronomers noticing the advance of the Mercury perihelion would be treated as sacrilegious...or those noticing the heliocentric system will be accused of heresy..."Eppur si muove"...

form a hypothesis and from the hypothesis develop a model without looking at the data:  "If vulnerability X is being exploited I will see blocks of with structures and probabilities X, if X is not exploited I will see blocks with structures and probabilities !X". You can then ask what the KL divergence of these two distributions are, and if it is very small then you will gain almost no confidence even with many observations; the question may be undecidable. If there is a separation between the probabilities  then observations one can then apply a statical test to reject one alternative or another with a intentional level of chance of error.

An example of this would be "From the structure of SHA256, and the fact that the 80 byte input requires two runs of the compression function; someone could create slightly more efficient specialized hardware which hardcodes much of the message expansion and initial rounds from the second compression function run-- and scans by rolling the block version.  If this optimization were at play I would expect to find that the block version would have very high entropy, perhaps 32 bits though anything more than a few bits would be suspicious; blocks exploiting this behavior would be expected to have uniform version numbers, rather than a constant in non-exploiting blocks"  We could then apply this test to the blockchain, and because of the big gap between two cases we could decide pretty quickly if the test was indicating. This isn't a definitive test; there could be other reasons for the strange behavior, like miners trying to reduce their network bandwidth usage; we could try to make it more specific by adding a rule like "and we expect blocks with random versions to have nonces with far less entropy".  ---- unfortunately, keeping the reasoning private prevents that kind of thoughtful analysis; all we can go on is how "weird" blocks are in the absence of a reasoned model, and thats not very useful since every block is "weird" by some definition.  Its like if you look for the number 11 you'll find it everywhere.

Obviously we can make such assumptions with more knowledge. Let me try something that can pass your censorship: I guess we agree that the main variable for mining a block is the header of the (double) hash of the previous block. If you knew the hash in advance you would be able to premine the block. By "premine" I mean doing most of the computation work well in advance (nothing spurious suggested by "premine", just "pre"-doing the work). The Merkel root tree hash can be kept static except maybe for impact of the extranounce (for example when you mine 1 transaction blocks). You will agree that someone with a performing mining algorithm will have a lot of advantage by witholding mined blocks in order to speed up the mining of the next ones and then releasing them in a short time. leading to sequences of nearby mined blocks. If he wants to conceal this fact he will mine the blocks anonymously (or with another miner that he controls). This means that we have to pay particular attentiion to close by mined blocks of anonymous origin. And we have to pay special attention to similarities that can reveal that the same miner is behind these blocks (in our case, nearby nounces could indicate similar hardware, or same block size similar algorithms).

Sometimes there are free parameters-- we want to ask a question like "does weight over some threshold cause heart attacks? and if so what is that threshold?", without knowing the parameter in advance. This had the danger of fitting the model to the data and telling us nothing at all (like my example of "predicting" the nonces that just happened);  one tool used to address this problem with parametric models is cross validation:  You split your observations up and use one subset to train the model and the other to test.  If the effectiveness goes away during cross-validation the model is likely overfit. The protection isn't perfect because if you tweak the scheme based on the results you miss overfitting the "meta"-parameters..   This is effectively the test I applied above:  You fit a model (a set of gap differences, block timstamps, inter-arrival times) and I excluded a single hit which you appear to have used to set your parameters from the testing set and found your model matched _no_ blocks at all.

What shouldn't be allowed is bad statistical reasoning, which can happen no matter how "natural" your model is, what primarily matters is how many degrees of freedom it has.  What you are looking at there is _not_ dispersion; I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant one of the standard metrics for dispersion (_range_) and you insisted on a complex polytope shape constraint; with probably something on the order of 34 bits of parameter space (three percentages to 0.1 precision without permutation), plus some more model freedom in that its looking at differences instead of absolute values.

If I instead use the standard deviation (another common dispersion metric) we that 0.1875% of 4-block sets (given uniform nonces) would have a standard deviation as low as your selected one; so again, something we'd see every few days.

Could you cut this short, don't divagate, and just let us know how you will proceed in order to prove that a sequence of nearby consecutive nounces is out of normal?
How many nounces and with what proximity your criteria will show that they are our of normal?
I have provided my answer on this. We are still waiting yours. Your answer must contain a number and a % proximity. For me n=3 events and a geometric mean of prob of the order of 1% starts to trigger my interest, and light a red flag if
this occurs combined with other unusual coincidences.

or more precise description how miners work.
There is huge amounts of information; everything is open source except for the RTL and mask images of common hardware; though most follow not too far from prior FPGA designs in their overall structure.

Can you point to relevant threads in the forum?

It appears unlikely, all four are miners that appear to constantly reuse a static address for their income, but they're each different.  Walletexplorer does an overly aggressive 'taint' analysis and links many addresses to each, but they're disjoint.  The lowest number appears to be antpool, the next appears to be AnxPro.com, the next is likely Polmine.pl (it frequently pays addresses connected with polmine.pl).

We can compute/estimate the probability of all the other "pieces of evidence" that are independent events with small probabilities. What is astonishing is the coincidence of all these facts.
There is nothing astonishing that when you pick criteria to fit the data, you find that it fits the data. There is also nothing astonishing that when a model created this way seems unlikely on a uniform basis that it will fail to generalize to anything but the data you fit it on.

I believe they prove that all 4 blocks were mined by the same miner (then these facts would not be independent and it makes more sense that they occur simultaneously).

Great; so you'll accept concrete proof that these blocks were mined by independent parties as a definitive proof that you were incorrect?

It would be great to prove that this miners are distinct and independent, but they may be collaborating. Event if these miners are independent they may be using the same algorithm that produces similar output.
In any case it won't prove that what we have seen is a rare event, it will give evidence that is pure coincidence.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you mean by retracted and erased;  your posts in this thread continue to claim  "It is clear that someone found a trick for fast mining. I kind of happen to know what might be.", "It is premining at some extend. Won't disclose more for the moment." and so on.  You continue to hold that you have "secret" knowledge which you will not disclose so that it can be discussed on its merits or lack thereof-- this entire thread is a great big advertisement for this claim and seems to have served you little other purpose; which the experienced professionals on this forum find to be non-credible and not supported by the evidence you've presented.

You are wrong. I have retracted and erased all comments (if I have overlooked any, please let me know), in particular those that you quote (where did you get the quote?). Obviously I cannot erase people quoting me. You should ask them.

As I explained privately, your behavior so far is indistinguishable from a person who is willfully and fraudulently claiming to know of non-public mining optimizations in the hope of selling them to some greedy sucker who is unable to asset their merit except on the your misleading qualitative claim that the blocks look 'weird'.  Protecting the forum's participants from being deceived themselves or from suffering the traffic from a flood of hopeful scammers demands that we call it out when we see the potential of it-- I say this not as the subfourm moderator or a developer of the Bitcoin system, but just as a community member... There is plenty of room for doubt; I'd say it's even more likely that you're just confused by the statistics of it, but the benefit of doubt can't be given freely, since those looking to exploit people will just sail through that opening.  I offered you a simple mechanism which you can use to distinguish yourself-- share your complete theory with (ideally) the thread or privately with a respected member of the community; in doing so you gain the ability to refine it against the forge of experience, discover what (if any) parts are already known; and, in the possibility that there is something to be concerned about, gain the ability to protect Bitcoin from any potential harm if required.  (I think you greatly underestimate the potential harm of privately held substantial mining optimizations-- beyond some threshold they would result in the complete centralization of the bitcoin system)

That's funny. How easy you condemn people without ground or any evidence, and how exigent and narrow minded you are in recognizing statistical evidence on blockchain validations.

I haven't tried to sell anything nor scam anyone and everyone who has followed the thread knows that. I never scammed anyone in my life and I hate scammers that are around the Bitcoin project because the image
damage they cause to the Bitcoin project.

What we have seen is your extreme aggressivity at me for mentioning the possibility that algorthms boosting the performance of mining may exist. You have been manipulative from the beginning accusing me of threatening bitcoin security.

Well, my friend, some people reading us are not that naive as you might think. What is worrisome, really worrisome, is your attitude. People may think that you know about these boosting algorithms and you are just trying to conceal them
from public knowledge using your power position as moderator. In particular, you admitted that you are actively mining, therefore you are incurring in an obvious conflict of interest: I can state, as disclaimer, that I don't mine..
If I was evil-minded as you I would think that way. But I am not. I trust your good faith. Even though...I don't like to go into maters discussed in private messages, but since you go into it, I could also go into it and remind you that you wrote something that sounds very disturbing...(and to what I don't give a fuck as I explained to you by choosing the precise wording).

The forum trust is a metric of trust; I explained in the rating where the distrust comes from. Your claims here are not credible to any of the subject matter experts and as far as we can tell they're based on erroneous statistical reasoning, you're shielding your theories from criticism by hiding behind secrecy, forcing a debate around statistical minutia and how "weird" the blocks feel qualitatively, rather than the merits of your idea. Only a few weeks ago you were asking questions (using asics to hash files) that showed a profound lack of research and understanding of Bitcoin mining.  I want to be sure someone considering trading with you over these ideas is aware that other community members do not currently consider your claims credible or likely to be well founded. Anyone is free to read the rating and come to their own conclusions.

You attribute yourself the privilege to talk in the name of the whole community. On which grounds? Your position as moderator and developer gives a valuable opinion (more than mine in the eyes of the community, no question about that),
but you cannot talk for other people, nor predetermine that they have your same opinion. We all have seen posts of people disagreeing with you and willing to understand what is going on. There are people around here that know more math
than you do. are open minded, and understand perfectly well the arguments I gave. Speak for yourself as I do and let others speak for themselves.

With respect to "matter experts" what we have discovered is that you don't have any serious background on statistics or probabilities. And in your case, you don't know how research inference works.  As for me I do recognize that
I know little about mining hardware, certainly you know more, but I probably can teach you some lessons about cryptography and hashing.  

I'm sorry that you find it heavy-handed.  I would prefer if there were a way to make ratings which were more targeted or conditional. In consideration of this, I'll go and reduce it to neutral to avoid triggering the red flag on you. I am not seeking to cause you distress.

I thank you. No distress caused, just unfairness felt.

Your groundless defamation is still there: "I suspect Valiron is either trying to scam someone out of paying for his "knowledge" or that he is attempting to manipulate the market price of Bitcoin; "
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 08:49:40 AM

Valiron write down your "secret" or stop.  Though I think the secret is that you don't understand the statistics of the situation and you are not willing to admit it.
This is my lay understanding of what you are doing:
1. Someone is picking a "random" number between 1 and 100 a 1000 times.
2. Then you see 4 9s in a row.
3. Based on 4 9s in a row you decide the "random" number generator is broken.

But it's actually worse than that.  People are telling you the nonce "random" number generator is biased for several reasons (miner/asic optimisations) etc. So there is even less reason to suspect issues.

I think gmaxwell has spent enough time on this.  I'd rather see more other/interesting points from him than address your misunderstanding or lack of a secret. As others I have learnt from this thread, but the marginal utility is dropping fast now.

If you really had a "secret" you'd either reveal it to someone responsible or you'd be using it to gain an advantage (but not too much as to destroy bitcoin, if you were sneaky about it).  You certainly won't be posting smoke on the forum.

You attribute yourself the privilege to talk in the name of the whole community. On which grounds? Your position as moderator and developer gives a valuable opinion (more than mine in the eyes of the community, no question about that),
but you cannot talk for other people, nor predetermine that they have your same opinion. We all have seen posts of people disagreeing with you and willing to understand what is going on. There are people around here that know more math
than you do. are open minded, and understand perfectly well the arguments I gave. Speak for yourself as I do and let others speak for themselves.
gmaxwell did nothing of the sort.

With respect to "matter experts" what we have discovered is that you don't have any serious background on statistics or probabilities. And in your case, you don't know how research inference works.  As for me I do recognize that
I know little about mining hardware, certainly you know more, but I probably can teach you some lessons about cryptography and hashing.
You are not even recognising that he's trying to teach you.

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
valiron (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:04:29 AM

Valiron write down your "secret" or stop.  

I don't have any secret. I just observed what I believe is an unusual pattern in block validation that I wanted to discuss. Can I or is this a forbidden topic?

I also have better things to do than to try to teach how scientific inference works.

Though I think the secret is that you don't understand the statistics of the situation and you are not willing to admit it.
This is my lay understanding of what you are doing:
1. Someone is picking a "random" number between 1 and 100 a 1000 times.
2. Then you see 4 9s in a row.
3. Based on 4 9s in a row you decide the "random" number generator is broken.

I see these 4 9's and several other independent facts with small probability, thus it is more like choosing a random numbers between 1 and 100.000.

Please, you, that claims to understand probability, teach us how many 9's you need to see to believe that there is a chance that there is something broken?

jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1093

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Please, you, that claims to understand probability, teach us how many 9's you need to see to believe that there is a chance that there is something broken?

My second homework for you: read the Prosecutor's fallacy article on Wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosecutor%27s_fallacy

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:13:47 AM

You are wrong. I have retracted and erased all comments (if I have overlooked any, please let me know), in particular those that you quote (where did you get the quote?). Obviously I cannot erase people quoting me. You should ask them.
You are a liar. If you really wondered where the quotes came from, you would have searched the thread and discovered that they were quoted from the first and fifteenth posts in this thread, which you never edited to remove your outrageous claims. Nor did you ever change the inflammatory subject of this thread.

At first I though you were honestly mistaken and really bad at math, then I thought you were a kook, but kooks don't generally lie about retracting their outrageous claims, which makes me question your motives. I agree with gmaxwell - you're trying to sell something, and we're not buying it. I suggest you give up now before you embarrass yourself further.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
valiron (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:17:38 AM

You are not even recognising that he's trying to teach you.

Yes, I can and do recognize that he is teaching many of us facts about mining hardware algorithms.

No, I am afraid he cannot teach about scientific inference. Certainly not to a professional researcher. He is unable to conceive that there might be irregularities caused by his lack of knowledge.
This is typical from people that believe to be the Masters of the Universe and that they know everything in their subject and that they look from above the rest of the world, even when they don't know with whom they are dealing.
I am feed up of seeing this every day. No news here.

I have some work to do now. Have a good day.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:27:39 AM

But it's actually worse than that.  People are telling you the nonce "random" number generator is biased for several reasons (miner/asic optimisations) etc. So there is even less reason to suspect issues.
If a random number generator is 'biased' then this random number generator is flawed. This is why it's better to not describe it as random number generator! Miner/asic 'optimisations' are optimizations if they help miners mine faster and cheaper, not mine less! This is the whole point of having PoW, right?
valiron (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:29:27 AM

You are a liar. If you really wondered where the quotes came from, you would have searched the thread and discovered that they were quoted from the first and fifteenth posts in this thread, which you never edited to remove your outrageous claims. Nor did you ever change the inflammatory subject of this thread.

You are right that I overlooked these two and I have erased them. I did erase others, but apparently I missed these two or weren't erased properly.

Sorry that you accuse me of being a liar when it was just an overlook.

I added a question mark to the title: Does it passes now the censorship?

At first I though you were honestly mistaken and really bad at math, then I thought you were a kook, but kooks don't generally lie about retracting their outrageous claims, which makes me question your motives. I agree with gmaxwell - you're trying to sell something, and we're not buying it. I suggest you give up now before you embarrass yourself further.

Your only explanations are evil-minded. I guess that's your problem, not mine.

Also what you claim doesn't makes sense. If anyone had a boosting performing algorithm for mining and he wanted to make money, why he would sell it? Why not use it directly?

Obviously people falling in such a scam of buying a miraculous algorithms are just dumbheads that don't think twice about it for 5 seconds.

On the other hand, I think it is legit to monitor block validations in order to see any indication if someone found something.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: