Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:40:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone check this out. Is it a bug in electrum?  (Read 993 times)
bennybong (OP)

Activity: 682
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:43:04 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1045264

Lost nearly 1.btc
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
young3dvard

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:45:11 PM

if you just losted your previoud funds . my advise is that dont use electrum again use blockchain.info which is much more easy. i m using blockchain.info from long time but i got never scammed .. i just want to ask is that your electrum wallet is imported with some other ? and your wallet was passowrd protected or not ?
bennybong (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:47:40 PM

Password protect and not imported
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:48:55 PM

Why not, send also a PM to : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3137  (ThomasV).

if you just losted your previoud funds . my advise is that dont use electrum again use blockchain which is much more easy. i m using blockchain from long time but i got never scammed .. i just want to ask is that your electrum wallet is imported with some other ? and your wallet was passowrd protected or not ?

What do you mean with 'blockchain' ? I think you wanted to say the blockchain.info web wallet .... please use the appropriate names and words, or a lot of people will start to think the wrong 'way'.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 05:32:18 PM

Sorry for your loss.

The fact that the coins were stolen immediately means that the hacker had your seed or your private key before the coins were sent to you;
he was probably running a script waiting for some coins to land on compromised or weak private keys.

One thing you can do is publish your seed; it does not make sense to keep it private anymore.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 05:52:44 PM

if you just losted your previoud funds . my advise is that dont use electrum again use blockchain.info which is much more easy. i m using blockchain.info from long time but i got never scammed .. i just want to ask is that your electrum wallet is imported with some other ? and your wallet was passowrd protected or not ?

I've heard of dozens of thefts from blockchain... Electrum thefts are more rare.
Personally, i've never experienced any thefts with Electrum.

I agree with Thomas -- publish the seed so perhaps some analysis can be
done regarding the entropy or some other clues could be found.

twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 06:24:05 PM

This is the worse advice. You're basically saying it is better to use a website wallet which is so much less secured than a desktop wallet. What happened with OP's funds is still under investigation but keeping your funds in a website wallet is just wrong and you should not suggest it to others.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 06:32:32 PM

This is the worse advice. You're basically saying it is better to use a website wallet which is so much less secured than a desktop wallet. What happened with OP's funds is still under investigation but keeping your funds in a website wallet is just wrong and you should not suggest it to others.

It is safe if you know what you are doing, if you have a good security and keep clean your personal computer. However I also don't suggest a web wallet  as 'wallet' because it is not safe to store your bitcoin on a wallet like that, I think it is more secure to keep your BTC on your desktop (and obviously the PC must be 'clean').
young3dvard

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 06:36:25 PM

It is safe if you know what you are doing, if you have a good security and keep clean your personal computer. However I also don't suggest a web wallet  as 'wallet' because it is not safe to store your bitcoin on a wallet like that, I think it is more secure to keep your BTC on your desktop (and obviously the PC must be 'clean').

well both are safe .. as i use blockchain.info more frequently and i voted for that and suggested it .
it is safe unless you use passowrds like ``123456`` etc etc
as red said your pc need to be clean if you want to use desktop wallet.
blockchain.info also have sms 2 factor authorization why dont you enable it for more security ?
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 05:55:37 AM

It is safe if you know what you are doing, if you have a good security and keep clean your personal computer. However I also don't suggest a web wallet  as 'wallet' because it is not safe to store your bitcoin on a wallet like that, I think it is more secure to keep your BTC on your desktop[/i] (and obviously the PC must be 'clean').

well both are safe .. as i use blockchain.info more frequently and i voted for that and suggested it .
blockchain.info also have sms 2 factor authorization why dont you enable it for more security ?

Anytime you're not in 100% control of your private keys, it is not safe. You can have 2-3-4 factor authorization enabled, if someone manages to get your private keys from blockchain wallet he can steal your bitcoins and it is much easier to do on a web wallet than compared to desktop wallets.

This is why it is not suggested as also mentioned by redsn0w above. If you want to keep your bitcoins in a web wallet you're free to do so but just because you do it, doesn't make it right and this is why you should not suggest this to others.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 06:35:52 AM

Please don't suggest a web wallet over a desktop wallet unless it is secure enought. This is not the case with Blockchain.info. It had many bugs and they had also pushed unverified code previously. People had lost ~200BTC+ from Blockchain.info.

bennybong (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 09:16:04 AM

It goes without saying then that I'm screwed, and now broke Sad

Can't believe it. Time after time I've been scammed by vapourware or delays. Never been robbed straight up from my wallet

Donations welcome  Embarrassed
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 09:36:23 AM

At this point the only constructive thing you can do is publish your wallet seed; it might allow us to investigate.

bennybong (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 10:44:32 AM

At this point the only constructive thing you can do is publish your wallet seed; it might allow us to investigate.

The seed from the wallet my bitcoins were stolen? Will that not compromise my security posting it publicly?
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 10:52:04 AM

The seed from the wallet my bitcoins were stolen? Will that not compromise my security posting it publicly?

You can post it, but it is obviously that you should (must) not use that wallet.dat anymore (don't receive bitcoin or ask to receive bitcoin from that wallet - generated by that seed).
bennybong (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 11:37:47 AM

I've already deleted that wallet, cleared it out and shredded it. Shit. Is there anyway to retrieve it?
bennybong (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 11:44:32 AM

It's on the move:

https://blockchain.info/tx/c2eba70e624fbb4e5766beb2e4f630db8d1a5ae8bca52ef097376e0f0388479e
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 11:45:04 AM

I've already deleted that wallet, cleared it out and shredded it. Shit. Is there anyway to retrieve it?

The wallet is not needed. Did you have a paper backup of the seed?

bennybong (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 11:49:13 AM

No and I'm kicking myself for it. It was only a throwaway wallet/address.
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 12:19:46 PM

No and I'm kicking myself for it. It was only a throwaway wallet/address.

Yes, you should kick yourself:
You have destroyed evidence that the Bitcoin address where you claim funds were stolen was derived from an Electrum seed.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: