Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:44:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete Newbie to mining with questions about the BFL Jalapeno coming out  (Read 4627 times)
Ocean6 (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 03:42:44 AM

Alright, I have been buying and trading BTC for a couple of months now.

I am hooked and loving it.  Cool

I have a little bit of disposable income I can throw at mining.

I have been looking at the forums and guides and it seems awfully complicated (for a person not too technically advanced) between building, setting up, software, and a myriad of problems.

Sooo,,, My research has led me the new BFL Jalapeno coming out hopefully in October.

My main questions are such:

Is it almost basically plug and play, coming pre-loaded?

Can I easily purchase new ones and add to my farm?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Life is What you Make it!
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 03:52:07 AM

You will need software,such as CGminer to mine with & a PC to connect to.

BFL-Josh has said that Easyminer may be ready by then,but you may not be able to mine where you want,probably only at Eclipse's pool  Sad

If you order a BFL Jalapeno now,you'll be at the back of the order log,over 5500 orders so far,WAY BACK.May not get a unit shipped until the new year  Sad

I think the first 500 are being shipped first in 1/3rd's.1/3 in numerical order (starting @ #1656),1/3 for trade in's,1/3 random of the first month of orders I think.

But,if you want to mine you'll need an ASIC,so better to get in line now or ASAP  Wink

Good luck!!!!

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Ocean6 (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 04:01:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Unnaceptable!

I would assume someone will get a pool together here pretty soon. It only makes sense.

What's wrong with Eclipse's pool? I noticed your frown.

Going to order 1 Jalapeno right now to start,

I would like to order 1 every week or 2 until Christmas time, but I wonder, could there be a problem with having too many of them?

I can afford the electicity and cost to keep them cool. Any other issues that might get in the way of having a bunch?

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 04:25:41 AM

The nice part of these ASICs are the plug-and-play nature of the hardware. Similar to FPGAs, all you need is a spare USB port. As mentioned, there should be several options as far as mining software is concerned: CGMiner might be more attractive to the more technical users, but EasyMiner will be available for anyone who doesn't want to mess with anything (set it and forget it).

There will still be those with large farms, but the days of motherboards that only handle 3 GPUs, multi-rail PSUs not powering cards, blowing breakers by drawing > 15A, and home made ventilation systems to handle 5KW of heat are soon to be a thing of the past.

A word of advise tho: If you're going to be purchasing one Jalapeno unit every week, why not wait about 2 months to save up and buy a SC Single? It will be a more compact rig than having 8 Jalapenos using 8 different powered USB ports, and will give you a higher hash speed per $ (giving you ~25% more hashing power for the same $ spent).

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Ocean6 (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 04:33:32 AM

Thanks for the advice!

Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 07:48:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Unnaceptable!

I would assume someone will get a pool together here pretty soon. It only makes sense.

What's wrong with Eclipse's pool? I noticed your frown.

Going to order 1 Jalapeno right now to start,

I would like to order 1 every week or 2 until Christmas time, but I wonder, could there be a problem with having too many of them?

I can afford the electicity and cost to keep them cool. Any other issues that might get in the way of having a bunch?

It's not that I don't like EMC,I would just prefer to make my own decision on where I mine & not HAVE to mine where THEY want me too.

Now that Inaba is BFL-Josh,I have a feeling he is going to PUSH his pool even more.I'm sure we'll have other miner software,so,not too big of a deal.

BTW,you can mine ANYWHERE with most miner software.Deepbit,Slush,BTC Guild,etc.... So,it's not that we need another pool,just need to be able to mine at the one I want  Wink

The worst case would be not having enough USB ports to plug them all into.All you need then is another low power (50 watt or less) PC with as many USB outlets as you can find.

I don't think we know,positively, if the powerdraw for the Jalapeno is from the USB or a wallwort yet.That may limit how many you can connect to a USB hub,if draw is thru USB.

Electrical consumption should be easy to pay for compared to GPU's  Cheesy     

3.5 gh/s @ 2.5 watts,no problem  Cool

I'm with crazyates on saving up for the 40 gh model,more bang for the buck Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Ocean6 (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 12:37:36 PM

Thanks again!

Went ahead and ordered one Jalapeno last night to get something in the pipeline.

Ocean6 (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 01:18:47 PM

Can someone share with me the equation(in English!! HAHA!) to calculate proft/loss from owning this new Jalapeno, assuming I point it at an average pool?

Thanks in advance again!

Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:22:46 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2012, 10:38:45 PM by Unacceptable

http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

Just put the amount of mining power in second bar & price of BTC in 3rd bar  Grin

The diff I have pasted there is for around 36 TH/s,just my guesstamate,with 22 gh/s @ $5.00 per BTC Wink

I figure each TH is = 131,384 diff,so multiply 131,384 by whatever you think the network hashrate will be & paste it in the first bar.

I go to this site     http://bitcoincharts.com/    mainly to see the approx total network hashrate & estimated next diff:

Ocean6 (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:32:37 PM

Thank you Unacceptable!!!

live627

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:35:38 PM

But that does not take into account power consumption costs.
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:43:11 PM

No it dosen't,I do that on my own.My power costs .12 per kwh,1680 watts=$147 per month.

I found this info online:

To figure out Watts from Amps, you must multiply the amps x volts, in the US, that's usually 120 or 240 for heavy duty appliances.
For example, 1.2 Amps x 120 Volts is 144 Watts. Next, divide that number by 1000 to figure out Kilowatt hours. 144/1000 is .144.
A Kilowatt hour is 1,000 Watts of electricity used for one hour. Next multiply the Kilowatt hours by hours (24 if used all day) then 365 (days in year).
Then multiply that figure by whatever your power company charges you for a kilowatt hour.  (Refer to your electric bill) Let's say your power company charges you $.075/kwh.  
The cost then to run that 1.2 Amp appliance over one year, non stop would be .144 x 24 x 365 x .075 or $94.60.

There are calcs out there,but I like doing it myself  Cool

The way I look at power consumption for the ASIC's is,don't worry about it until you get around 100 gh/s,until then it's almost free,compared to GPU mining anyway  Grin

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:52:11 PM

He linked a very handly, abeit simple, Bitcon calc. If you really want to get into the nittygritty, try this one out:

http://bitcoinx.com/profit/

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: