Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:04:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If Bitcoin hard forks, do alternative clients need to be updated?  (Read 1476 times)
Mt. Gox (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 07:34:19 AM

Currently there is some discussion about hard forking Bitcoin so that the maximum block size is increased. That would require a mandatory update for Bitcoin Core. But what about alternative clients like Electrum and Multibit? Do these also need to be updated or not? Since they rely on external servers, is it just these servers that need to be updated or everyone who uses the program?

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2015, 08:56:56 AM

Currently there is some discussion about hard forking Bitcoin so that the maximum block size is increased. That would require a mandatory update for Bitcoin Core. But what about alternative clients like Electrum and Multibit? Do these also need to be updated or not? Since they rely on external servers, is it just these servers that need to be updated or everyone who uses the program?

Depends on whether or not they pull data from an API somewhere or have full clients running themselves.

In most cases, it's just their end that needs an update. Yet they could release a mandatory mobile client update as well...
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 10:21:56 AM

For a hard fork the devil is in the details.

For instance with MultiBit a pure change to the size of the blocks shouldn't make any difference, as we bloom filter the blocks to just grab the transactions we are interested in. We talk directly to the Bitcoin Core nodes.

As hard forks are so rare, I imagine there will be a set of fixes and tweaks added to the protocol at the same time. Any of these may require changes to (in our case) the bitcoinj library and hence an update.

I imagine there will be a testnet set up that we can test out the changes and make sure nothing breaks.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 01:12:57 PM

Electrum clients will not be affected by an increase in the block size

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:35:30 PM

Only if the majority of the miners agree there can be a protocol update. Electrum and Multibit have active development. A block size increase probably has effect on the source code.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
Mt. Gox (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 10:38:01 AM

Thanks for the answers. That was similar to what I thought (since the external servers grab their data from core nodes which are full clients).

Only if the majority of the miners agree there can be a protocol update. Electrum and Multibit have active development. A block size increase probably has effect on the source code.

If a protocol update was announced and not all miners agreed to the fork then the network would bifurcate. Electrum and Multibit have rapid development as you point out so I would think that if there is any compatibility issue (and there seems to be none for the example that I posted in the OP) then they would modify their code to "speak" with the core nodes on the correct fork of the Bitcoin blockchain.

At least that was my assumption.

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 10:47:37 AM

Thanks for the answers. That was similar to what I thought (since the external servers grab their data from core nodes which are full clients).

If a protocol update was announced and not all miners agreed to the fork then the network would bifurcate. Electrum and Multibit have rapid development as you point out so I would think that if there is any compatibility issue (and there seems to be none for the example that I posted in the OP) then they would modify their code to "speak" with the core nodes on the correct fork of the Bitcoin blockchain.

At least that was my assumption.

Hmm it could be possible, if it will be an hard fork I think it cannot exist two or more "blockchain" at the same time. So it will be a really 'discomfort' to all the users that "are not user friendly" with bitcoin. However if it can be possible 2 fork of the chain at the same time, what it will happen if I'll send 1 btc from the FORK-A to your address (bitcoin core updated) in the FORK-B?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: