Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:10:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how safe is localbitcoins ?  (Read 1538 times)
zinjo (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

DIVERGENT OTC MARKET FOR DISTINCTIVE ASSETS!

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 03:49:33 PM

Just wondering, I'm trying to exchange bitcoins to skrill but how safe it is ?
Would someone actually exchange carded or stolen money etc ?
Currently thinking about this https://localbitcoins.com/ad/166644/cash-out-your-bitcoins-moneybookers-skrill as it's lowest rate Cheesy

▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄          Innovative Derivatives Exchange     ▄ █ ▄     as.exchange     ▄ █ ▄     Earn Above Market Effortlessly          ▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄          BTC 31%, YOU EARN 63%   |   BTC 5%, YOU COULD SECURE RETURNS          ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀
▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄      //    0% Withdrawal & Deposit Fees    //    0% Trading Fees for First 10,000 Users    //    NO KYC    //      ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 04:47:57 PM

I didnt had any problems so far to be honest, and im using them for about 1 year.
zinjo (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 04:49:50 PM

I didnt had any problems so far to be honest, and im using them for about 1 year.
used to exchange bitcoins --> skrill?

▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄          Innovative Derivatives Exchange     ▄ █ ▄     as.exchange     ▄ █ ▄     Earn Above Market Effortlessly          ▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄          BTC 31%, YOU EARN 63%   |   BTC 5%, YOU COULD SECURE RETURNS          ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀
▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄      //    0% Withdrawal & Deposit Fees    //    0% Trading Fees for First 10,000 Users    //    NO KYC    //      ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀
moko666

Activity: 635
Merit: 500

BlasterKVs the king of xbox modding

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2015, 04:53:08 PM

localbitcoins is a good and safe place to exchange to/from bitcoins, you can also find a seller near you that makes a trade easy
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 04:57:57 PM

Exchanging Bitcoins with skrill is against their TOS and if they find out they will freeze your account, thats even if you don't get chargebacked. You shouldn't do this unless you have absolutely no other option. There are scammers on localbitcoins, just like any other place, so you should be extremely careful who you deal with and avoid doing accepting reversible payment methods if possible.

zinjo (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 04:59:30 PM

Exchanging Bitcoins with skrill is against their TOS and if they find out they will freeze your account, thats even if you don't get chargebacked. You shouldn't do this unless you have absolutely no other option. There are scammers on localbitcoins, just like any other place, so you should be extremely careful who you deal with and avoid doing accepting reversible payment methods if possible.

hmm, thanks for the info..
already exchanged 2 btc to skrill, obviously won't do more .-.

Sammal

Activity: 210

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 05:54:42 PM

I do think Localbitcoins is 100% safe, Just look for the right positive persons with positive feedback and Do small amounts and i doubt you will get scammed Smiley so its pretty safe i guess, Did over 7-8 Btc Deals there with 2-3 Users and Got scammed none + Good rates.

jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 06:40:13 PM

Never get involved with any payment method that can be reserved (Paypal, Skrill,....)

Only deal with people willing to pay cash or via bank.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 07:08:22 PM

I have used localbitcoins about six times (three different people in my city).  For some reason it is hard to track them down (they ALL travel).

I meet them at a local Starbucks or similar, I hand over the cash, they send me the BTC.  While waiting on a confirmation, we talk about BTC and exchange our experiences.

Note that I have never used a localbitcoins account, I just send them a message asking me if they would like to sell me some in person. Then we agree on a place and time.

It has worked great!  At some point, one or more of these guys might become a friend!  Smiley

I like localbitcoins (as I do it above) as there are no intermediaries, so there is more privacy.  And as soon as I reasonably can, I send off the BTC for mixing typically via BOTH SharedCoin and bitmixer.io.  That makes it VERY HARD for most to track my BTC buying and where I put them (eventually in a Ledger Nano and Trezor).
harlenadler

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

Agent of Chaos

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 03:22:23 PM

It is generally pretty safe, it has a built-in escrow system for online trades and a solid system for cash trades. Check out the details here:
https://localbitcoins.com/guides/security

However, it must be said that there are still many scammers on localbitcoins. A local trader who I buy from was scammed for approximately $1000 USD by someone who used identity fraud. The scammer told someone else that he will sell them a certain digital good for that amount, and the person paid $1000 to my trader's bank account. At the same time, the scammer initiated a transaction with him on localbitcoins and said that the bank transfer was from him, and my trader sent him the btc equivalent. The scammer vanished, the other person reported to the local authorities and my trader now lost the BTC he was sent, and lost the $100 dollars. So the system does have it's flaws.
letyouearn
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 02:22:10 AM

It is generally pretty safe, it has a built-in escrow system for online trades and a solid system for cash trades. Check out the details here:

However, it must be said that there are still many scammers on localbitcoins. A local trader who I buy from was scammed for approximately $1000 USD by someone who used identity fraud. The scammer told someone else that he will sell them a certain digital good for that amount, and the person paid $1000 to my trader's bank account. At the same time, the scammer initiated a transaction with him on localbitcoins and said that the bank transfer was from him, and my trader sent him the btc equivalent. The scammer vanished, the other person reported to the local authorities and my trader now lost the BTC he was sent, and lost the $100 dollars. So the system does have it's flaws.

It may happened sometimes, but there are many trusted and honest traders like "Bitcoin143" snd "dizz"etc. These are some good traders I know them.  Try to trade with person who have a good quantity of positive feedback snd have done more than 100 above trades.

Don't go with any less positive feedback s  trader on localbitcoins. 

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
███████████████████████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
..CPLAY - IDO.████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
   O N E   E C O S Y S T E M   F O R   A L L 
Y O U R   C R Y P T O   N E E D S
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 07:31:58 AM

It may happened sometimes, but there are many trusted and honest traders like "Bitcoin143" snd "dizz"etc. These are some good traders I know them.  Try to trade with person who have a good quantity of positive feedback snd have done more than 100 above trades.

Don't go with any less positive feedback s  trader on localbitcoins. 

This....I look for at least 100 trades & all positive.Never a problem in 2+ years  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
sandy47bt

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 07:36:22 AM

As long as you trade with reputable people, it's pretty safe
But, there are many scammers at localbitcoins
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 07:38:53 AM

Skrill doesn't do chargebacks
"9. Sending Payments
[ ... ]                   
9.4. [ ... ] Once funds are credited to the recipient's Skrill Account, the transaction becomes irreversible.

Wolframite

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 07:54:06 AM

Its against their TOS but lots of user have been using it without any problem...  Smiley

lahm-44

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 08:27:00 AM

I have using it from about 2weeks and yes I loved it a Lott it's dam awesome... fulfills my accounts.it you feel any hesitate with the trades then just don't step in it. I will rate it 5stars from my experience
jdebunt
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 09:21:40 AM

LocalBitcoins is very safe, the users on that platform are a different matter entirely...
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 10:21:56 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2015, 11:06:39 AM by Blazr

Skrill doesn't do chargebacks

From that same page:

16. Liability

16.1. In case of an unauthorised payment or a payment that was incorrectly executed due to an error by us, we shall at your request immediately refund the payment amount including all fees deducted therefrom.

Skrill may reverse a previously credited payment transaction at any time and without prior notice to the recipient Customer, (i) if Skrill receives a chargeback or reversal of the funding transaction associated with the payment transmission, (ii) if Skrill has reason to believe that the funding transaction was fraudulent or unauthorized, even if Skrill had not received an associated chargeback, or (iii) in order to protect Skrill or the sending Customer from a loss associated with the payment transaction.

So the customer can't chargeback for "goods not received" but can still chargeback for "unauthorized transaction". Also if they chargeback with their CC or bank, Skrill say they will dispute it (unlike PayPal who mostly don't) but if they lose the chargeback the bank will take the money from them so they should almost always take it out of your account:

http://help.skrill.com/en-us/Article/business/chargebacks-and-disputes/dispute-chargeback

Additionally if they are hit by one of these chargebacks and they find out you were exchanging currency

jdebunt
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 10:51:25 AM

Saying a service that accepts credit cards won't do chargebacks is ludicrous. There is always a possibility for that.
irfan_pak10
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1651

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 03:51:01 PM

Localbitcoin is much safe i think. But there are some faults like I know they are using Escrow to deal in two person, Like if if you and some other make a deal smoothly, and after the deal some one between you charged back then who is responsible?
I recommend you to use @shdvb in currency exchange section, He is very good exchanger. I exchanged more than 500$ without any problem

Thanks

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████