Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:49:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Masternodes what good are they?  (Read 3371 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Jeff8247

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 05:46:43 AM

LMFAO another day and another DASH SCAM/INSTAMINE etc thread from a noob. GG Trollero

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 05:52:02 AM

LMFAO another day and another DASH SCAM/INSTAMINE etc thread from a noob. GG Trollero

dash hominem--are you guys even trying anymore?

Jeff8247

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 06:20:43 AM

No champ, its not even worth it. There will just be another noob account tomorrow spinning the same shit as today...

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Saltzman Alaric

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 06:48:52 AM

Masternodes are a security hole and are also a giant marketing scheme.

It basically amounts to inflation in a way where each masternode gets an extra .5 Dash a day.  And they all think they are getting richer because they see their Dash balance going up..... But even though everybody's balance is going up, everybody's pile is getting equally diluted.  

So after a year you get a lot lot more of something worth a whole lot less.  But they can pump to keep the price up, so on paper everybody is getting richer.  

But we know that like one guy owns more than 20% of Masternodes (goes back to the instamine.  don't ever buy into a coin where 10 people started off with all of it).  There aren't even enough buy walls on every exchange if you added them all together for him to cash out.  This is like a clock ticking down.  At any point he can decide he will retire, or move on to his next project and cash out of this one.  That is what scammers always do and you don't get 20% of masternodes by being honest.

So when he cashes out, the price goes to 0.0001 USD per coin.  There are lots of bag holders and one rich guy happy in retirement.  

And..... it is all legal.    
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:10:26 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2015, 10:20:30 AM by illodin

Taking electricity cost and other things into account, has anyone compared the profitability of "mining" with a masternode with a mining rig?
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 10:27:47 AM

Not only that, but masternodes are fully decentralised because they are reproducible at infinitum (subject to supporting coin collateral) since they are simply regular daemons with an alternate operating mode. (masternode=1 in configs)  Wink

How about the trust factor, though - for instant transactions, for example... In plain POW schemes, transaction confidence level increases with each subsequent block. With masternodes for instant transactions, there is a fixed probability of collusion which doesn't improve with each block?
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 10:57:02 AM

How about the trust factor, though - for instant transactions, for example... In plain POW schemes, transaction confidence level increases with each subsequent block

Dash is a POW scheme exactly as bitcoin is. If more trust is needed then users can just wait for the full blockchain confirmations as with bitcoin.

The other day I sent someone 20 Dash by InstantX as a cash prize for a competition I was running and the transaction became part of that prize-winner's confirmed balance instantly. If I had been sending a multi-million dollar international transfer I suppose I may have sent it regular-degular and waited a few minutes before counting "my chickens".
monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:00:44 AM

How about the trust factor, though - for instant transactions, for example... In plain POW schemes, transaction confidence level increases with each subsequent block

Dash is a POW scheme exactly as bitcoin is. If more trust is needed then users can just wait for the full blockchain confirmations as with bitcoin.

Ahhh, so users have to choose between speed and security?

edit: I think it is important to understand the difference between confidence in instant transactions and confidence in regular transactions as the block height increases - the video on instant x I saw implied that an instant x transaction was as good as 6 block confirmations, which makes them sound equivalent.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:22:29 AM

- the video on instant x I saw implied that an instant x transaction was as good as 6 block confirmations, which makes them sound equivalent.

Maybe they are then and I was wrong that users have to choose between "speed and security".

The title of the thread was "Masternodes what good are they?".

The answer to that question is that so called 'masternodes' are a decentralised implementation of functional diversification which has been the basis of every service-oriented network in the history of digital computing.

No doubt there will be a variety of views on the optimal way to solve bitcoin's looming scalability and other issues that accompany widening adoption, but it's academic that if you stick with a monofunctional network then the solution to every single problem has to be a kludge compromise between one highly desired technical objective and another.
monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:02:54 PM

Maybe they are then and I was wrong that users have to choose between "speed and security".

My point is, I don't think you were wrong. But, instant x is being advertised as being a secure as six confirmations, when in actual fact it has a totally different risk profile.
Prosperityforall

Activity: 490
Merit: 14

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:12:59 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2015, 12:30:59 PM by Prosperityforall

My point is, I don't think you were wrong. But, instant x is being advertised as being a secure as six confirmations, when in actual fact it has a totally different risk profile.

You're right, and that's the reason Bitcoin never added in the trivial and flawed concept of "masternodes". Just like decreasing block time leads to more orphaned blocks, decreasing # of confirmations with Instanx leads to less security. Then there's the issue of having a 3rd party do necessary services, I'm sure Satoshi thought mining would eventually centralize a currency enough, but masternodes? That'd totally take away the decentralized concept i.e double trouble.

Then, what further makes masternodes useless is that the things a masternode does(provide "anon) is possible/becoming posible with features such as Coinshuffle, which is decentralized coinjoin anon. As soon as Coinshuffle comes live for Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, masternodes in coins like Dash/Darkcoin become entirely useless as you wouldn't have to sacrifice security and decentralization for "anon" anymore.

It still boggles my mind that they choose the flawed masternode concept instead of superior anon like cryptonote or soon to be zerocash. Coinjoin can't compare in the least to the anonymity cryptonote provides and zerocash will.

Also, in the case of a 51% attack, Dash is far more suspectible than a currency that doesn't have the Instantx "implementation" as you'd be able to do the attack with less confirmations.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:52:21 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2015, 01:46:49 PM by toknormal

It still boggles my mind that they choose the flawed masternode concept instead of superior anon like cryptonote or soon to be zerocash

Boggle away.

Some of us worked it out in about 5 minutes. (But then we're in the market for monetary solutions, not mud machines).

pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 10:17:03 PM

Is DASH at risk of this kind of regulatory enforcement? https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/34zj70/fincen_fines_ripple_labs_inc_in_first_civil/
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 03:51:59 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2015, 04:48:17 AM by generalizethis

If you are funneling darksend transactions through masternodes in exchange for assets, are you culpable for not following KYC rules the same way a money transmitter or an exchange is?

(OP)

Activity: 288
Merit: 102

Yin Yang religion of wisdom, harmony

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 05:32:44 AM

Yes.
Every masternode operator must comply with KYC
This is why we can't rely on trusted third parties to do off-chain transactions for us.

Thank you for not sending browny points, much appreciated.

4D Torus Earth https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5042249.msg46425670#msg46425670
illodin

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 08:50:53 AM

Yes.
Every masternode operator must comply with KYC
This is why we can't rely on trusted third parties to do off-chain transactions for us.

Must every miner comply with KYC? They are doing much more in terms of transmitting money that masternodes (which are not transmitting money).
monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 08:53:54 AM

Must every miner comply with KYC? They are doing much more in terms of transmitting money that masternodes (which are not transmitting money).

Only if electricity companies are required to register as MSBs.
PoS

Activity: 223
Merit: 101

If you can be anything, be kind and fair

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:04:07 PM

Most Dashers have dropped out of school otherwise they would see the flawed design there cult leader leads them into.
In there mind if they increased there holding from say 3000 coins to 3300 for free is a good thing and there on the way to unimaginable riches. What they fail to see is the fact that they must find noobs at the same rate or faster they increase there holdings otherwise there pyramid game collapses. So far they managed to spin a few yarns, enough to keep it going, but at some time even the slowest of slow soul will not be willing to buy anymore.
Like every pyramid system the closer to the top you are the better, the last once bit the dogs. 

Masternodes are good to increase the instaminers holding for no additional cost.  So the number of instapremined coins "grows" by the minute. 50% of all new mined coins can be added to the fraud.
obit33

Activity: 514
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:53:29 PM

also, most masternodes are on amazon-servers... NSA watching, check!
illodin

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:10:37 PM

also, most masternodes are on amazon-servers... NSA watching, check!

NSA is already on your personal computer... NSA watching, check!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: