Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:38:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete Noob  (Read 1070 times)
Amribor (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 07:23:28 PM

Hi There,

I was given a Bitcoin from a friend to help him turn it into cash. It was given to him by his son in law who I guess has a lot of experience with Bitcoins but didn't give him much guidance. I created an account on Localbitcoins.com but I can't figure out what I need to do to sell it. I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I'm fairly adept with computers but I am completely baffled by the process for selling a Bitcoin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 07:27:04 PM

if you have a wallet and you know how to do a transaction(if you have at least familiar with bitcoin itself), you could start by reading this guide, for localbitcoin

https://localbitcoins.com/guides/how-to-sell-bitcoins-online
Amribor (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 07:32:31 PM

Thanks Amph but I have no idea about a wallet or any experience at all with Bitcoins. No clue how to do a transaction.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 07:58:05 PM

Hey, welcome!

You first need a bitcoin wallet: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

I advise Blockchain.info, it's the easiest and fastest way to get a wallet, read a little about wallet security first: https://blockchain.info/wallet/security

You probably have that bitcoin in a paper wallet, you can easily import it into blockchain.info wallet.

You can also sell bitcoins at bitstamp.net, bitfinex.com or kraken.com, these are amongst the most reputable exchanges around and much more safe than localbitcoins.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 08:03:48 PM

You could save yourself a lot of time and money by simply spending it rather than trading it for cash then spending the cash. Tens of thousands of places now take bitcoin.

Spend fiat to get BTC = lose some fiat

Sell BTC to get fiat back = lose some BTC

Spend fiat on internet = risk your identity

Why did bitcoin even enter into this?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Amribor (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 08:11:16 PM

Thanks Pedrog. I have an actual gold coin and a bunch of numbers etc written on a piece of paper my friend gave me. I will look into getting the wallet.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 10:23:58 AM

Thanks Pedrog. I have an actual gold coin and a bunch of numbers etc written on a piece of paper my friend gave me. I will look into getting the wallet.

Depending on the coin it might be more valueable with the bitcoin still on it. E.g. Casascius Coins are worth more than the bitcoins on them. Do you have any idea what kind of "gold coin" this is?

If its indeed a rare and/or old coin it might be more profitable for you to sell it as is.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Amribor (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 05:34:29 PM

Hi Shorena,

How can I tell? The coin says Vires in Numeris 2012 1 Bitcoin on one side with the Bitcoin symbol and the other has a thin plastic covering with some numbers written underneath if i pull it back and look.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 05:43:39 PM

Hi Shorena,

How can I tell? The coin says Vires in Numeris 2012 1 Bitcoin on one side with the Bitcoin symbol and the other has a thin plastic covering with some numbers written underneath if i pull it back and look.

I think you will need to post a picture. "Strength in Numbers" is a saying that I think is on more than one kind of coin. Also I hope you did not void the hologram when you pulled back the plastic to see the numbers. If you exposed the private key you have severely changed the value of your coin. The numbers are never meant to be exposed because now a buyer has no way to keep you from stealing the bitcoin hidden inside. If that is the case you may only be able to sell it as an unfunded coin. The gold will still have value, but the bitcoin portion of the value is compromised.

Amribor (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 05:52:40 PM

Uggh! I swear this is so confusing. So I have screwed myself then I guess because I did see the numbers. I would never even know how to "steal" value and would never do that anyway. So I have a worthless coin now?
JayCrypto

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Can you be more accurate?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 06:58:35 PM

Uggh! I swear this is so confusing. So I have screwed myself then I guess because I did see the numbers. I would never even know how to "steal" value and would never do that anyway. So I have a worthless coin now?

Well you can still spend the bitcoins with the private key that was under the hologram. DO NOT POST A PICTURE OF THAT! So its not worthless. The coin itself might also have value to collectors even though you have removed the hologram, but certainly less than before.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 07:21:29 PM

Well you can still spend the bitcoins with the private key that was under the hologram. DO NOT POST A PICTURE OF THAT! So its not worthless. The coin itself might also have value to collectors even though you have removed the hologram, but certainly less than before.

yes. Do not show anyone the private key.
You have not lost any bitcoin. but because you have tampered with the hologram (if you did) then the buyer has no guarantee that you have not written it down. If you had you could spend the bitcoin whenever you want.

Here is what you can do. IF you have removed the tamper evident seal then you could move the bitcoin using the private key that has been revealed. You can still sell that bitcoin, just not as part of the coin. You could then separately sell the coin for it's value in gold and collect-ability. This is then an "unfunded" coin. 
Now it may be that the numbers you saw are something else. You may be seeing a "public" address that one can check to prove that the coin is funded. That's fine. Public addresses can be seen by anyone. In that case its still a funded coin that has a hidden private key and is ready to sell/spend.

I still would post a picture, but do hide the numbers. If it is a private key someone could steal the bitcoin. A picture will help with finding the collectable value.

Amribor (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:26:02 PM

Thanks guys! Here are links to pictures. http://postimg.org/image/z2dxd73yl/ ans http://postimg.org/image/tsdjzn93h/
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:43:17 PM

Ok, that appears to be a Casascius coin. Good news, I think this is one that people like to collect. Perhaps you did not open it enough to really see the whole private key. In that case it may not be a problem for the buyer.

But again, in any case you can sell both the coin and the bitcoin. The question is "can they be sold together"? That is dependent on the state of the tamper evident seal.

It is confusing. The coins are an attempt to make a real world bitcoin. The idea is that if the private key is hidden inside and the balance can be checked via the public address, then there is never a reason to open the coin. You could spend it just like any currency and not even need an internet connection. Casascius was one of the first to try this and I think their coins are the most sought after. He does not sell funded coins anymore, however he may have the hologram stickers. A concerned buyer of your coin could get a new sticker and hide a new Private key?

Here is the site: https://www.casascius.com/

Amribor (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:52:28 PM

Ok thanks. I appreciate all the help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: