Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:46:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Case Wallet launches Pre-sale at Techcrunch Disrupt!  (Read 1329 times)
CaseWallet (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 07:31:43 PM

Engineering a truly secure and simple bitcoin wallet has been a long process, and we have been eager to finally reveal the first generation of Case! Back in late 2014 we manufactured our first small batch of devices, and have continued to run more small batches in the first few months of 2015. Just last week we were in New York demoing the device to Inside Bitcoins conference attendees, which was the very first time that we had unveiled Case to the community.

We remain focused on our main mission of providing the world's most secure and easy-to-use bitcoin wallet. Our last thread is a few months old, and we wanted to provide you with the latest updates throughout our launch phase. Here are some highlights of what makes Case unique from other Hardware Bitcoin Wallets:
  • Multi-signature authentication
  • GSM Enabled with built in Multi-IMSI SIM Cards
  • Works in over 60 Countries at Launch: No Monthly Fee
  • Bio-metrically Enabled: The template is encrypted and stored on the device
  • 3 Steps to complete a transaction: Click, Scan, Swipe
  • Size of a Credit Card

We have only 1000 devices available for pre-sale, and we are shipping this summer!
More details can be found on our website at www.choosecase.com!
Visit http://blog.choosecase.com/2015/05/04/case-launches-pre-sale-at-techcrunch-disrupt/ to read our launch article

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jakesy

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 07:55:06 PM

How is this offering different from Ledger Blue?

https://medium.com/@Ledger/ledger-introduces-a-secure-portable-and-developer-friendly-hardware-wallet-protected-by-stm-s-tech-13c25b113723

Is it similar?  What are the differentiators?
CaseWallet (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:13:56 PM

Two main differences between our products:

• Our device only needs a GSM connection to transmit transactions. LedgerBlue uses NFC and Bluetooth low energy
  • Case uses bio-metric identification to sign the private key located physically on the device. No passwords, phrases, or additional hardware or software required.

We are similar in interacting with private keys by using BIP-32: Hierarchical Deterministic wallets
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:23:02 PM

I like the idea with the fingerprint scanner but no passwords. But the SIM only connection is a bit of a problem. I would need another mobile plan and I would have problems using it overseas.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:39:57 PM

How accurate are fingerprint scanners?  Ive never used one.

I'm thinking this device is for more day to day use and not for storing large amounts of bitcoin?  Not sure if I'd feel safe putting 20+ coins in one and putting it in my safety deposit box.  I'll give it some thought though.  Looks very cool.

I've never heard of this celery exchange their partnered with to buy and sell coins though.
CaseWallet (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:05:02 PM

I like the idea with the fingerprint scanner but no passwords. But the SIM only connection is a bit of a problem. I would need another mobile plan and I would have problems using it overseas.

There are no monthly fees or additional contracts required. Case comes with free global Internet access for the life of the device so you can use it to execute transactions all over the world.

Our FAQ provides answers to connectivity questions and provides a full list of the 120 countries our devices is compatible in: http://www.choosecase.com/faq.html
btchip

Activity: 623

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 12:28:20 AM

Two main differences between our products:

• Our device only needs a GSM connection to transmit transactions. LedgerBlue uses NFC and Bluetooth low energy
  • Case uses bio-metric identification to sign the private key located physically on the device. No passwords, phrases, or additional hardware or software required.

We are similar in interacting with private keys by using BIP-32: Hierarchical Deterministic wallets

I'll add that all Ledger products are simple security accessories that you can use as you wish, to hold your own money or enroll with a service. Your choice, all supporting the same core API. I won't mention Ledger products again in this thread  Grin

Also I didn't get the second point about how the biometric authentication could sign the private key on the device.

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 12:57:52 AM

Looks really cool! Will I still be in control of my coins if Case fails? Since it's 2 of 3, one is signed on my Case device, the other is on Case's server, where is 3rd key? And do they provide sufficient multisig info required for me to execute a raw transaction myself in bitcoin core incase Case the company disappears?

Jakesy

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:59:17 PM

How accurate are fingerprint scanners?  Ive never used one.

I'm thinking this device is for more day to day use and not for storing large amounts of bitcoin?  Not sure if I'd feel safe putting 20+ coins in one and putting it in my safety deposit box.  I'll give it some thought though.  Looks very cool.

I've never heard of this celery exchange their partnered with to buy and sell coins though.

Sorry if I missed it, but is there a way to recover your wallet if the fingerprint scanner isn't working?  That seems to be a weak point.
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 07:18:31 PM

Really like the device, the price is a bit steep though.

Fingerprint scanning is a nice touch, but it's not exactly a solution most people would look for either.
cenkoa

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 04:06:54 AM

A cloud wallet in disguise for 200$.
It is essentially another cloud wallet, that stores all data needed to spend the money on servers (and private biometric identifiers!). The hardware is just another mobile phone from 20 years ago reinvented: modem+small screen+keyboard+sensors.

Actually, GSM modems and phones are very easy to attack with cheap open-source techniques ("imsi cacher + openBTS" on google), and from there it is direct path to the crypto controller and stealing our money. The attacks are remote and transparent to the user.

They ask us to trust only them and no one else, because they have certifications (bunch of papers) and wrote all code from scratch. In crypto world inventing the wheel by writing crypto from scratch without community review is usually a very bad practice.
They say the firmware will be open-source close to shipment, or in another words after we paid them 200$ without refund. Critical problem at that time will leave us with a brick - 200$.

It's the most dangerous kind of products - the opposite of security in secure disguise.

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 04:11:31 AM

It is essentially another cloud wallet, that stores all data needed to spend the money on servers

I thought this is a multisig 2 of 3 wallet, where the user's device holds a key, CASE's server holds another and Huh?? holds the 3rd key.
No response from OP regarding my recovery question. Not a good impression to make on your own thread of your own product.

tricass

Activity: 394
Merit: 250

Crypto enthusiast

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 06:30:11 AM

It is essentially another cloud wallet, that stores all data needed to spend the money on servers

I thought this is a multisig 2 of 3 wallet, where the user's device holds a key, CASE's server holds another and Huh?? holds the 3rd key.
No response from OP regarding my recovery question. Not a good impression to make on your own thread of your own product.

it's in their faq. backed up by third key solutions (company andreas antonopolous co-started) or you have the option to back up this third key yourself during the initial configuration.

jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:28:14 PM

There are no monthly fees or additional contracts required. Case comes with free global Internet access for the life of the device so you can use it to execute transactions all over the world.

Our FAQ provides answers to connectivity questions and provides a full list of the 120 countries our devices is compatible in: http://www.choosecase.com/faq.html

It does? That is very thoughtful of you. So I can slip in any SIM card (even a roaming SIM) and it will connect to internet and I don't have to pay extra roaming fees?
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2015, 05:38:52 PM

It does? That is very thoughtful of you. So I can slip in any SIM card (even a roaming SIM) and it will connect to internet and I don't have to pay extra roaming fees?

I read somewhere it uses the GSM network for connectivity, but I'm not sure if it will work in the same way you propose Smiley
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 06:37:55 PM

I read somewhere it uses the GSM network for connectivity, but I'm not sure if it will work in the same way you propose Smiley
That's the point I would like to be the wallet working, I don't trust in GSM world connectivity
Southpaw0
Legendary

Activity: 1318

666 - slave 2 the grind -

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 08:35:06 PM

I want one of these so bad.

ill handcuff you to the shower and put an apple in your mouth with the water running on cold then you handcuff me to the bed and go to town.. just dont BURN the house down with your hot ass oven cus i will be dead and you will be gone
thesilentsolution

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:44:24 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't all users f****d when the company goes down?
There is a need for the 2nd key coming from their servers and more important they store the emergency backup key on their servers!?
They decide what kind of encryption they use and they have full access to the data...
I wouldn't feel safe with that solution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: