Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 05:03:27 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone who's going to hear about bitcoin has heard about it  (Read 4054 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 09:16:40 AM

You're wrong, or at least are expressing your self in a wrong way.
I've probably heard about a lot of things in the past that I'm not aware of. Where I live (information not to be revealed) not even 5% people heard (yes, just heard) of Bitcoin.
I've been asking regularly and different circles.

Even if they have heard the name Bitcoin they either have no idea what it is about or have a wrong idea. They need to be taught what Bitcoin is and why it is useful. People need to start waking up and realizing in what a corrupt system they're living.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Shindo1988

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Samurai

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:34:20 PM

You're wrong, or at least are expressing your self in a wrong way.
I've probably heard about a lot of things in the past that I'm not aware of. Where I live (information not to be revealed) not even 5% people heard (yes, just heard) of Bitcoin.
I've been asking regularly and different circles.

Even if they have heard the name Bitcoin they either have no idea what it is about or have a wrong idea. They need to be taught what Bitcoin is and why it is useful. People need to start waking up and realizing in what a corrupt system they're living.

They were trained to be guided and told what to do.
Ever since they stepped foot in school.
They "taught" them all the things they need to DO and only what they wanted them to know.

╲╲ ╲╲ COINOMAT.COM ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
╱╱ ╱╱ First Instant Crypto Exchange                              Sign Up Now!                    Visit our Facebook & Twitter
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 01:05:24 PM

I hope you haven't discount the fact that people are generally too lazy to bother about something relatively new. When i first heard about bitcoin my first thought was it was some kind of scam since there was nothing tangible to back it up. No country nor nation to endorse it and of course that was totally idiotic because that was what bitcoin was trying to achieve in the first place. I only thought it was important after having read more about it. I think our focus here is still getting the information across which is making people understand what bitcoin is all about.

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:25:02 PM

No, definitely not *everyone* per se. But I get what you're implying... Still, it's only a small number of people who really started getting to know about it. People often need repeated nudges in the right direction in order to finally get up and find out what "all the fuss is about". It's the same with Bitcoin!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 03:45:14 PM

I think we still have a ways to go, we need more big companies under our belt to be able to really reach the layperson. I believe Overstock is currently the biggest retailer we have which is really awesome, it's just a bit of a shame that they don't seem to have Bitcoin mentioned anywhere on their front page, it's only when you go to pay that you get the option. People need to be able to see the Bitcoin logo more places online, if the word Bitcoin is always popping up, eventually some will try to learn more about it.
jehst (OP)

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:48:47 PM

I think we still have a ways to go, we need more big companies under our belt to be able to really reach the layperson. I believe Overstock is currently the biggest retailer we have which is really awesome, it's just a bit of a shame that they don't seem to have Bitcoin mentioned anywhere on their front page, it's only when you go to pay that you get the option. People need to be able to see the Bitcoin logo more places online, if the word Bitcoin is always popping up, eventually some will try to learn more about it.

I've seen the PerfectMoney, Webmoney, and other logos about 10,000 times. I've never felt the desire to learn more about them. Why? Because I'm doing fine with the things I'm using now. I won't start using something new unless I get a big discount. It might be the same with most people and bitcoin.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:52:38 PM

Kind of like the internet. By 1990 most everyone had heard of it, had a strong opinion about it, and had not even a clue as to what it really was.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
tss

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:11:42 PM

it's ok.  we don't need more people in the bitcoin space right now.  i like the price where it is.  gives us all time to accumulate more coin.
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:19:06 PM

I've seen the PerfectMoney, Webmoney, and other logos about 10,000 times. I've never felt the desire to learn more about them. Why? Because I'm doing fine with the things I'm using now. I won't start using something new unless I get a big discount. It might be the same with most people and bitcoin.

As most people on this thread have pointed out, knowing about Bitcoin, has no relation to knowing what Bitcoin is, or why it's useful. I had heard of Bitcoin 2 or 3 years before actually looking up more information on what it was. As soon as I understood what it was, I was hooked.

As jehst said, people may have seen the word Bitcoin or heard it mentioned, but they don't go looking for information on what it is.

IMHO, for a large population of people to understand what it is, there needs to be a specialized nationwide commercial in each country about what is wrong with fiat money, and why Bitcoin solves those problems. Play it enough, and you'd have a LOT of new interested people.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:26:32 PM

Kind of like the internet. By 1990 most everyone had heard of it, had a strong opinion about it, and had not even a clue as to what it really was.

I have seen a lot people comparing the early internet as to how Bitcoin is now. The internet really changed our lives, and that happened worldwide.

With Bitcoin it's quite different. In rich and well developed countries the need for something like Bitcoin is low.
umaOuma

Activity: 938

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:29:05 PM

I Simply Don't Agree with this.

I Don't think that everyone is aware about the bitcoin. If you talk about US and European countries then I totally agree that they would heard about it but If you say that Indians are also aware about it then I totally disagree having heard and having a knowledge about it its a vast difference.
ScreamnShout

Activity: 206

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:44:37 PM

I don't think this is true many have never even heard of Bitcoin.
BitcoinArbiter

Activity: 6
Merit: 14

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 09:53:07 PM

They may have heard about, but they don't KNOW about it. Also foreign markets.
rjclarke2000
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 10:24:27 PM

What is this Bitcoin?
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 10:26:32 PM

I don't think this is true many have never even heard of Bitcoin.
Believe me there are more people who never heard of bitcoin at all. World is a big place. Some people don't have even mobile phone and PC so how could they hear, not to mention use - bitcoins.
With bitcoin, there is requirement that society will be highly technocratic. We are not on that level yet.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:09:34 PM

Can't argue with that.

Most people I have spoken to haven't heard of bitcoin. Perhaps the OP is living in the USA . Just because it is occasionally was mentioned on chinese or russian news broadcasts doesn't mean most people have heard about it there . There is a very specific demographic that even pays attention to financial or technology news. I would suggest the following -

Everyone Most people interested in finance news and IT who's going to hear about bitcoin has heard about it.

Of the fraction of people who have heard about it no practically nothing about it as well.

nerFohanzo

Activity: 631

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:25:04 PM

I Don't think that many would have heard about the bitcoin. And if they have heard they don't the actual functioning of bitcoin . But it's not their fault actually if they keep updated themselves with latest technology they would be surely aware about the bitcoin but generally it doesn't happen.
solstoce

Activity: 219

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:06:41 AM

True, but there's a universe of difference between hearing a word and actually knowing all it entails.

I obtained my first mobile phone around fifteen years after becoming aware of them. I had heard of the internet many years before i actually got on there and realised the potential.

I first read of btc in 2009 but didn't bother to comprehend it until 2012/13.

Reminded me of White men can't jump scene where woody and wes are fighting over Hearing Jimmy and Listening to Jimmy.  Many have "Listened" about bitcoin but few have really "Heard" about bitcoin.  Here's the clip from the movie:

https://youtu.be/G1FshIXjOMs [NSFW]
vm_mpn

Activity: 605

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:14:40 AM

True, but there's a universe of difference between hearing a word and actually knowing all it entails.

I obtained my first mobile phone around fifteen years after becoming aware of them. I had heard of the internet many years before i actually got on there and realised the potential.

I first read of btc in 2009 but didn't bother to comprehend it until 2012/13.

Reminded me of White men can't jump scene where woody and wes are fighting over Hearing Jimmy and Listening to Jimmy.  Many have "Listened" about bitcoin but few have really "Heard" about bitcoin.  Here's the clip from the movie:

https://youtu.be/WIgODEvUTgU [NSFW]

Completely agree... How many times each of us has heard about Bitcoin and dismissed it before jumping in a year or two later? Even Andreas A. has dismissed Bitcoin as useless "nerd's money" first time around, just to become Bitcoin evangelist a year later. It's a common story around here.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 07:06:56 AM

Yes but nobody talks about PM or WM and those rare people that do don't put it across with nearly the same amount of energy as when Bitcoin folks talk about Bitcoin. The reason is simple, PM and WM have never made anyone rich and hope is not a sentiment associated with these two. Bitcoin on the other hand has made plenty of nouveau riche and has given plenty more people hope. The energy involved is not nearly as dull as with PM and WM. The person who's seen the BTC logo 10,000 times only has to speak with 1 BTC enthusiast to have a good feel of this energy. Having the Bitcoin logo displayed in more places is never going sway the whole world, it merely increases the likelihood of the Bitcoin fever spreading  Wink
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: