Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 06:25:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GBTC market sale at $175 sets new ATH at $1750 / BTC  (Read 1710 times)
Chainsaw (OP)

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:23:56 AM

For most of the day I believed I held the record with my $1337 rate for 17 shares.  It appears that 1 1/2 hours prior, 12 (?) shares sold at $1750/BTC.
The odd data discrepancies now have probable explanations, dealing with a combination of outlier filtering, low market liquidity, and complex OTC rules.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/34vuku/congratulations_bitcoin_on_your_new_ath_133700/

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:34:44 AM

I congratulate on your sales but a full coin hasn't been bought at this rate yet. If and when that happens on multiple accounts, I believe that will be time for walking on sunshine. It's bullish nonetheless considering premiums for purchasing are like tips at this point. It's so amazing and incomprehensible that people can't get a coinbase wallet w/ 2FA and buy their shit at market price. Either way, rock on!
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:40:50 AM

Some investors might not even know they own bitcoin now.   There portfolio says 10% investment high risk tech stocks.  So there broker is going throw money where they need to.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:48:39 AM

Some investors might not even know they own bitcoin now.   Their* portfolio says 10% investment high risk tech stocks.  So their* broker is going throw money where they need to.
Maybe, tho I doubt a few share buys is possible to calculate 10% of the portf at this point. Their broker should sit back and observe before they buy change on a first move. I hope this happened for their benefit.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:53:22 AM

Ya I guess I'm thinking more down the road.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:13:53 AM

Ya I guess I'm thinking more down the road.
That's a good observation, Alley. Tho this should rally outside this crap price.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:24:40 PM

I congratulate on your sales but a full coin hasn't been bought at this rate yet. If and when that happens on multiple accounts, I believe that will be time for walking on sunshine. It's bullish nonetheless considering premiums for purchasing are like tips at this point. It's so amazing and incomprehensible that people can't get a coinbase wallet w/ 2FA and buy their shit at market price. Either way, rock on!

It just makes it more obvious that big money is waiting for the right vehicle to get into Bitcoin. It really seems as if the ETF(s) seem to be the right thing for them. Many people around here don't seem to get that, but people really are preferring those investment vehicles over our "beloved" exchanges.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:29:16 PM

How can anyone not be bullish at this time is beyond me.
Bitcoin shares are trading for the first time in history and the price is fucking climbing!

Wall Street will take us to the moon sooner or later. Yea, I'm serious.

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:32:39 PM

It just makes it more obvious that big money is waiting for the right vehicle to get into Bitcoin. It really seems as if the ETF(s) seem to be the right thing for them. Many people around here don't seem to get that, but people really are preferring those investment vehicles over our "beloved" exchanges.
Yeah, this does seem like a huge vote of confidence in the coin when people are already willing to purchase at beyond the ATH price. Likely, these guys are showing everyone where the price will be going if people just hang in there. Granted, we'll need to see more action to make these prices seem legit over just a few speculating.
minerpumpkin

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:33:04 PM

How can anyone not be bullish at this time is beyond me.
Bitcoin shares are trading for the first time in history and the price is fucking climbing!

Wall Street will take us to the moon sooner or later. Yea, I'm serious.

Yeah I also don't really get this. This could give us an influx of new people over the next couple of days, if people decide to buy BTC directly without waiting for reasonable prices of the ETF. The only thing that concerns me is the fact that this could be a "penny stock" pump and dump, or something, due to the low liquidity (which most likely is already pushing the price up quite a bit!)

mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:47:25 PM

Its actually understandable, since coinbase does the whole verification procedure, only after all that to determine honor your buy request or not.

Most people got fed up with them since they failed to do so, or they faced buyers limitations based on their risk assessment plus how they handle their support which seems the main reason as well with those situations.
Chainsaw (OP)

x

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:09:04 PM

The spread narrowed, but things have hit a relative standstill at 300 shares traded volume. Yesterday was 762.
The only sellers are
a) New BIT holders releasing their shares, a one time shot, after a 12 month holding period
b) Speculators that bought GBTC on Day 1.

The low volume suggests that at most 3 new sellers have pulled the trigger today, with $55 asks offering a 233% premium.

I have 50 more shares up at $133.7. The GBTC page http://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/GBTC/quote shows nothing below $175.

I speculate this game of chicken will resolve with volume staying low, positive Bid pressure. Those Bids will eventually pull more sellers out. Then we will have a bootstrap of liquidity - new buyers with varying entry prices. Those respective buyers will then make various decisions and help dial in to a true equilibrium, with a positive price trend.

Even if those sell, I would be holding the final 1/3rd of my shares.

ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:35:02 PM

Its actually understandable, since coinbase does the whole verification procedure, only after all that to determine honor your buy request or not.

Most people got fed up with them since they failed to do so, or they faced buyers limitations based on their risk assessment plus how they handle their support which seems the main reason as well with those situations.

Most people won't like to buy coins using Coinbase. Their system really seems just too cumbersome for people willing to invest large sums in BTC. I think they want a real ETF, or at least exchanges, where they can buy at the price and instant they want.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:36:07 PM

The spread narrowed, but things have hit a relative standstill at 300 shares traded volume. Yesterday was 762.
The only sellers are
a) New BIT holders releasing their shares, a one time shot, after a 12 month holding period

The low volume suggests that at most 3 new sellers have pulled the trigger today, with $55 asks offering a 233% premium.

I have 50 more shares up at $133.7. The GBTC page http://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/GBTC/quote shows nothing below $175.

I speculate this game of chicken will resolve with volume staying low, positive Bid pressure. Those Bids will eventually pull more sellers out. Then we will have a bootstrap of liquidity - new buyers with varying entry prices. Those respective buyers will then make various decisions and help dial in to a true equilibrium, with a positive price trend.

Highly interesting! It's incredible to see that people really paying this steep markup! I can't really comprehend it, actually. I think the number of people who can sell their shares is too low to make price discovery or an impact on the general BTC price possible for the time being, though.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Chainsaw (OP)

x

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:44:19 PM

The only sellers are

Highly interesting! It's incredible to see that people really paying this steep markup! I can't really comprehend it, actually. I think the number of people who can sell their shares is too low to make price discovery or an impact on the general BTC price possible for the time being, though.

That's sort of the chicken/egg problem. Nobody wants to participate until they know where the price will settle, no activity, question remains.
Motivating actors to 'beat' you in a market, tightening the spread, is a good first step.

Because of the combination of a stranglehold on new liquidity, unfavorable prices (from their perspective, selling at these prices is a loss), and OTC rules keeping small volume bids and asks from showing up, the effect is magnified. There is a multitude of small Bids and Asks which appear neither in the historical data nor the current quote list.

I expect liquidity to slowly increase. Once a share gets 'into the wild', they are more freely tradable. Those free coins grow at exactly the rate that the BIT holders are compelled to release their funds. The only variable which will shift their desire from HODL to SELL will be reaching a favorable price.

This could resolve by a very long period of dead, no-volume activity - a stalemate.
Or it could resolve by continued upward Bid price pressure.

The volume need only increase to the degree that the common tools used by traders begin providing an accurate and complete picture of the historical price data and current activity.
I view getting to that level of volume as the first step.
Only then will the price differential between GBTC and other markets begin to entangle and affect each other.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 11:15:34 AM

Conclusion must be that the group of people that is the target for the fund, regards the fund as more liquid than having coins by themselves. Just use your trading station, done in a second, the back office guys handles the practical side.

For me, I find the current situation quite ok, the time to complete a trade is an hour or two if I want to use the banks (except nights and weekends), and a day or three if I want to use cash.
minerpumpkin

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:33:02 PM

Conclusion must be that the group of people that is the target for the fund, regards the fund as more liquid than having coins by themselves. Just use your trading station, done in a second, the back office guys handles the practical side.

For me, I find the current situation quite ok, the time to complete a trade is an hour or two if I want to use the banks (except nights and weekends), and a day or three if I want to use cash.

Well that doesn't sound very convenient, actually. I do get why people want to use an ETF. Using trading stations, etc. just makes more sense if you're in the game already. People don't want to jump through the hoops of "amateur" exchanges in the Bitcoin realm. But I don't see GBTC being liquid at all, and in its current form the price if very impressive and exciting, but it doesn't really provide solid data for a real price discovery aside from regular Bitcoin exchanges!

afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 03:20:09 PM

Owning shares in an ETF is not the same as owning real bitcoin. Don't be mislead by prices quoted for these paper instruments.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 05:41:55 PM

Well that doesn't sound very convenient, actually. I do get why people want to use an ETF. Using trading stations, etc. just makes more sense if you're in the game already. People don't want to jump through the hoops of "amateur" exchanges in the Bitcoin realm. But I don't see GBTC being liquid at all, and in its current form the price if very impressive and exciting, but it doesn't really provide solid data for a real price discovery aside from regular Bitcoin exchanges!

A little more volume, and we will see. There are nonrandom differences between the various exchanges, and my thought is, the easier it is to get in/out/trade, the higher the price will be on that exchange.
minerpumpkin

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 11:24:14 PM

A little more volume, and we will see. There are nonrandom differences between the various exchanges, and my thought is, the easier it is to get in/out/trade, the higher the price will be on that exchange.

The difficulty of getting money/BTC in or out of an exchange can influence the price both ways. With gox we saw the price of BTC trade 10% above the rest of the exchanges because there were FIAT withdrawal delays, so people bought BTC at a premium. When Gox was going down for good, the price went down to 1/5 of the other exchanges' price, though.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: