Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 07:09:01 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the Winklevoss twins actions be explained?  (Read 2096 times)
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 10:29:02 PM

Why xxx doesn't cash out his coins has become the standard Q&A  Grin

Why don't central banks cash out their gold? They bought it at $35 per ounce and now it is $1200!

Because they got those gold so cheap, they don't have the urge to cash out extra reserves when they have enough money to spend

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 10:31:38 PM

Yes it can be explained with Unwarranted Self-Importance or in short USI. [NSFW]

Yeah I did that on purpose.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 04:27:51 PM

Why don't central banks cash out their gold? They bought it at $35 per ounce and now it is $1200!

Because they got those gold so cheap, they don't have the urge to cash out extra reserves when they have enough money to spend

People don't have education in long term vision. They are victims of a culture that always indoctrinates us into thinking long term and nothing else. Those will be the ones that will not retire thanks to Bitcoin in 10 years. Sad to see.
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 07:11:50 PM

I mean they understand fiats been dying, so the logical step is to create something that hedges that for them.

So not everything will be lost, if there was another bubble in itself. If we had a similar crisis on on our hands like back in 2008 more people be inclined to slolwy put things that retain value such as bitcoin, esp if they had the etf people be buying it like candy.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 10:59:05 PM

Also, they can't really do so because the missing liquidity is preventing them from even doing so. If some central bank sold even 1% of their Gold reserves, it would most likely kick the price of Gold into such as big dive that the remainder of their holdings would lose quite some of its value, as well!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
minerpumpkin

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 11:00:43 PM

I mean they understand fiats been dying, so the logical step is to create something that hedges that for them.

So not everything will be lost, if there was another bubble in itself. If we had a similar crisis on on our hands like back in 2008 more people be inclined to slolwy put things that retain value such as bitcoin, esp if they had the etf people be buying it like candy.

I don't think they necessarily believe FIAT is dying... I think to expect FIAT to die within the near- or even mid- or far-future is rather unrealistic. Why would that happen? It's merely the fact that they hope for even bigger returns, and can't even liquidate these amounts on regular exchanges, to begin with!

oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 01:19:33 AM

I don't think they necessarily believe FIAT is dying... I think to expect FIAT to die within the near- or even mid- or far-future is rather unrealistic. Why would that happen? It's merely the fact that they hope for even bigger returns, and can't even liquidate these amounts on regular exchanges, to begin with!

Winklevoss twins are realistic, they don't see BTC replacing FIAT, but they see it replacing the major electronic money transactors in the world, which would mean a marketcap higher than we can imagine if you do the calculations.
CoinBitPhrase

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 01:27:13 AM

I believe they are in it for the long run, You see as bitcoin value increases their decision will look intelligent
minerpumpkin

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 10:32:49 AM

Winklevoss twins are realistic, they don't see BTC replacing FIAT, but they see it replacing the major electronic money transactors in the world, which would mean a marketcap higher than we can imagine if you do the calculations.

Yeah that's more about it, yes! I would be careful to expect BTC replacing VISA or anything, but it might just find its specific niche somewhere... Maybe remittance, maybe only being an asset very much like Gold. My bet is also on the backbone-technology/-protocol outcome.

BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:52:39 PM

Yeah that's more about it, yes! I would be careful to expect BTC replacing VISA or anything, but it might just find its specific niche somewhere... Maybe remittance, maybe only being an asset very much like Gold. My bet is also on the backbone-technology/-protocol outcome.

Well, I think once people realize you can make worldwide instant transactions with ridiculous fees regardless you are moving 10 dollars or one million... people will stop using SEPA, and credit card transactions when you have BTC. I would use BTC all day daily if other people used BTC, the thing is, i've never seen anyone outside this forum using it.
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 05:06:42 PM

I believe they are in it for the long run, You see as bitcoin value increases their decision will look intelligent

This is the right answer, considering what 6 years has shown, holding for more than one year and through more than one bubble cycle before selling any seems like a good move.  They also seem to be invested in the infrastructure, which all would have suffered if they pulled a large amount out during the bear trend.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: