Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:15:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin VISA card - a quick review.  (Read 1536 times)
687_2 (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:20:57 PM

It's a VISA DEBIT card, which means it's not a true VISA and won't work in a lot of machines.  Too bad.   Undecided

More machines than breadwallet  Wink

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io
MUFC

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:23:29 PM

but the thing that make it different from fiat is its decentralization, mean gov can't control it, can't print it out of thin air, and can't fuck your money with negative interest or other bullshit(like account blocked, insolvency, also no fractional reserve, no investments with your saving ecc...),  this is why bitcoin will be definitely better than fiat when full adoption will be reached

True, but you can argue bitcoin fucks itself with its own negative interest rates. $1000 - $230 isn't exactly a safe investment. and bitcoin to go mainstream will probably always need third parties involved so wont be that much different.

right now bitoin is still not a true currency

Why not? Most currencies lose value over time. The Dollar and British Pound  have lost most of their value over the last hundred years or so.

erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 12:25:05 PM

I never tried using a Visa Debit card till date as I am really confused of the fee charged while using it. I used to feel that they work like my normal ATM card without any activation/monthly fee or merchant fee. Does this card only work at stores that accept Visa cards or that accept BTC as a payment mode?

Works anywhere VISA is accepted. I've used it a few more times now at different merchants, for small purchases at some places you don't even need the PIN.

Xapo charges the fee to your account.

So you send XBT to your Xapo online wallet, say 1XBT. If you make a .5XBT purchase, you will have (0.5XBT - 3%) remaining in your online wallet.

Thanks for the reply but it won't be of any use to me. I usually get a 3%-5% cashback if I use my HDFC Debit Card and even PayPal gives rewards if we use the debit card while shopping. Here they are charging a fee to use it.

687_2 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:30:26 PM

I never tried using a Visa Debit card till date as I am really confused of the fee charged while using it. I used to feel that they work like my normal ATM card without any activation/monthly fee or merchant fee. Does this card only work at stores that accept Visa cards or that accept BTC as a payment mode?

Works anywhere VISA is accepted. I've used it a few more times now at different merchants, for small purchases at some places you don't even need the PIN.

Xapo charges the fee to your account.

So you send XBT to your Xapo online wallet, say 1XBT. If you make a .5XBT purchase, you will have (0.5XBT - 3%) remaining in your online wallet.

Thanks for the reply but it won't be of any use to me. I usually get a 3%-5% cashback if I use my HDFC Debit Card and even PayPal gives rewards if we use the debit card while shopping. Here they are charging a fee to use it.

If your fiat inflates at less than 3-5% annually and you don't mind trusting those third parties with your money, than what you're doing makes sense.

This all just depends on your worldview and who you trust.

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:34:03 PM

but the thing that make it different from fiat is its decentralization, mean gov can't control it, can't print it out of thin air, and can't fuck your money with negative interest or other bullshit(like account blocked, insolvency, also no fractional reserve, no investments with your saving ecc...),  this is why bitcoin will be definitely better than fiat when full adoption will be reached

True, but you can argue bitcoin fucks itself with its own negative interest rates. $1000 - $230 isn't exactly a safe investment. and bitcoin to go mainstream will probably always need third parties involved so wont be that much different.

Why not? Most currencies lose value over time. The Dollar and British Pound  have lost most of their value over the last hundred years or so.

you should not look at the current state of bitcoin, bitcoin is not ready yet, we are far away from its adoption, this is why something like 1200-200 happen, with 3B market cap bitcoin is a joke now, all sort of manipulations are taking place because of the tiny market cap...

i would not considering it a currency because of what i've said above(and not because it is losing value), it's not matured yet for that, until it will go mainstream(which means used on large scale by everyone for purchasing everything)
687_2 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:36:53 PM

used on large scale by everyone for purchasing everything

XBT is the spine of finance 2.0, but it won't be used for payments and related things, it's just too slow.

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:43:09 PM

I transitioned entirely to using XBT recently, so I've been exploring new tools to make life easier.

Good Job. I am building a Bitcoin only directory that may interest you-
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=961224.0

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:46:00 PM

used on large scale by everyone for purchasing everything

XBT is the spine of finance 2.0, but it won't be used for payments and related things, it's just too slow.

define slow, because shops can simply start to accept unconfirmed transactions, they are safe anyway, and we know they are even faster than debit/credit card(no cvv2 no number to put...)

yeah i know the story about not being safe for small amount, but precisely because they are small sums, you should not worry to much as a store

for example if i was running an ice cream shop, i would accept bitcoin with pending deposit, no problem there, at worst i could lose 1 transaction if something bad happens to the network(example double spending, other attacks)

because after that lose i would shift to fiat for the next client and so on.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:50:02 PM

The Euro has dropped more than bitcoin these last few months.

If your fiat inflates at less than 3-5% annually and you don't mind trusting those third parties with your money, than what you're doing makes sense.

You are being generous. When you include food/fuel/and medical care inflation in the US index inflation is between 5-9%. They are juking the numbers by leaving out the categories with the highest inflation numbers. Besides the british pound this is about the "best" inflation you will get as well. Countries like Argentina have between 20-35% inflation and Venezuela has 69% inflation with fears of even worse hyper inflation breaking 200%.

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 01:01:42 PM

The Euro has dropped more than bitcoin these last few months.

the definition of currency isn't related to its price only, isn't it?

a currency is an instrument of payment, but if there is no enough adoption, this instrument of payment will not be used at full potentially(this is why i said "true currency"), but only by the few who have adopted it, the others are just using it as in investment(trading)
inBitweTrust

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 01:06:12 PM

a currency is an instrument of payment, but if there is no enough adoption, this instrument of payment will not be used at full potentially(this is why i said "true currency"), but only by the few who have adopted it, the others are just using it as in investment(trading)

Please clarify exactly how you define "true currencies" because I buy things directly with bitcoin(almost anything can be purchased), tip people in bitcoin, wire funds, pay employee salaries, and gift people bitcoin every day.

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 01:10:55 PM

Please clarify exactly how you define "true currencies" because I buy things directly with bitcoin(almost anything can be purchased), tip people in bitcoin, wire funds, pay employee salaries, and gift people bitcoin every sing day.

what I mean is that now it is used more as an investment than as a means of payment, when it will be used more as an instrument and less for speculating and trading, then you might call it a true currency, this is how i see it right now
inBitweTrust

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 01:15:53 PM

what I mean is that now it is used more as an investment than as a means of payment, when it will be used more as an instrument and less for speculating and trading, then you might call it a true currency, this is how i see it right now

Ok, I see Bitcoin going through that transition now- part currency/part investment.

MUFC

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:02:15 PM

you should not look at the current state of bitcoin, bitcoin is not ready yet, we are far away from its adoption, this is why something like 1200-200 happen, with 3B market cap bitcoin is a joke now, all sort of manipulations are taking place because of the tiny market cap...

i would not considering it a currency because of what i've said above(and not because it is losing value), it's not matured yet for that, until it will go mainstream(which means used on large scale by everyone for purchasing everything)

What do you mean it isn't ready yet? You seem to be confusing your opinion on several matters with facts that everyone feels this way. Bitcoin won't magically and suddenly just start being a currency when more people use it because it already is one. Bitcoin has everything it needs for adoption and bitcoin is a currency regardless of what people may or may not be using it for.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: