Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:45:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: High Risk Business  (Read 1767 times)
Slushpuppy (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 09:19:08 AM

I want to put BTC on flash drives and sell them at the St. Louis Arch while telling people about Bitcoin. I would charge the price of the flash drive + current Gox rate + 10%.

I want to start with just 10 flashdrives, 1 BTC on each

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2GB-4GB-8GB-16GB-2G-4G-USB-2-0-Flash-Memory-Thumb-Stick-Drive-Fold-Pen-Devive-/271010306505?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3f197919c9

looks like they are about 4 bucks each. Maybe there are cheaper ones out there

The reason I think this will work is because St Louis currently has http://eatgrubgo.com a delivery service that accepts bitcoins and will deliver from many restaurants

I want to include a fully downloaded blockchain with 1 BTC, and  materials on the flashdrive that will help them understand bitcoin and make the process as easy as possible, plus I can stand in a high traffic area (St Louis Arch is always buzzing) without having to be connected to the internet to transfer the BTC. (I have a widget on my phone telling me the Gox rate)

Also talking to someone in person affects them a lot more than some random voice on the internet.

I think I can do this all for about 15 BTC and I would like to offer 5% interest upon repayment in full (no way to calculate when that will be)

please criticize my plan so I may educate myself, I just want the whole world to get up and use bitcoin already

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 10:02:49 AM

please criticize my plan so I may educate myself, I just want the whole world to get up and use bitcoin already

You'd be among two dozen others trying to sell me a subscription to Greenpeace, a magazine written by homeless people, red roses, balloons,  memberships to various cults, soaps, stuffed animals and many more I can't remember but it's certain you'll meet them.
What's not certain is that you'll sell even a single bitcoin.
markodude

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 12:22:55 PM

You may get more interest by giving them away with 0.1BTC on them.....this will contribute to the growth and recognition of BTC.

They have 1 week to open the app and claim the 0.1BTC or it expires.

I will fund 1BTC to contribute to this sort of activity. That gets you 2x your $4 drive, 2x 0.1BTC and maybe a little profit. Get 1000 people to do this and it becomes interesting.

Ideally, get some other local companies to sponsor the USB drives too, adding their logo on them if a main sponsor, or a PDF advertisment inside the USB stick.

Could all snowball and encourage companies to accept bitcoin.....nice little scheme.

If it takes off I will do it in London too.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 06:48:23 PM

I want to include a fully downloaded blockchain with 1 BTC, and  materials on the flashdrive that will help them understand bitcoin and make the process as easy as possible, plus I can stand in a high traffic area (St Louis Arch is always buzzing) without having to be connected to the internet to transfer the BTC. (I have a widget on my phone telling me the Gox rate)

Also talking to someone in person affects them a lot more than some random voice on the internet.

The typical consumer is going to plug that flash drive in and wait for an app to launch.  Are you going to go over and help them install the client, then copy over the blockchain and wallet to their new installation?

Do you warn them that if their computer system is infected with some malware that their wallet is at risk?

What might work better is to print up some Bitcoin bank notes using BitAddress:

- https://www.bitaddress.org

Click Paper Wallet, then mark the checkbox for Art.  

This is the result:

Then you can fund the bills as you sell them.  Include instructions on how to redeem.  

E.g., MtGoxLive mobile client includes "Redeem".  Or MtGox.com website can redeem them.

Or Blockchain.info/wallet can import these.

etc.

[Update: Though this is more convenient, the important of a secure computer (or mobile) is still a factor and should be explained to anyone or included in your instructions.]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

FredericBastiat

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:31:08 AM

This is the result:

Then you can fund the bills as you sell them.  Include instructions on how to redeem.  

I don't see on the website where you check a box for the artwork.

http://payb.tc/evo or
1F7venVKJa5CLw6qehjARkXBS55DU5YT59
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:42:35 AM

This is the result:

I don't see on the website where you check a box for the artwork.

http://bitnote.org/

Just put it on my server very quickly. Maybe I'll feel like to pay €2/month for an extra IP so I can get a SSL cert without the warning.
You can use SSL, but it will warn you that it's from another domain and signed by cacert.org. It's not insecure per se, but it gives you the warning.
Slushpuppy (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 01:42:05 AM

Whoa. Did not even think of the cascasius coins. Way better idea. I would also probably distribute a cd explaining how to protect against malware. Thanks for all of your help guys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: