Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:05:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to BitCoins & looking for a client  (Read 1497 times)
Skirmant (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Such is life in crypto paradise

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 02:58:55 PM

Hello, I'm pretty new to this whole BitCoin concept and it seems pretty sweet Grin

I'm looking for a portable version of the Bitcoin-Qt client that I could store on my USB drive and be able to run on all platforms (win, linux, mac).

Any suggestions?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ForceField
aka Vitaliy

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:00:33 PM

Hello, I'm pretty new to this whole BitCoin concept and it seems pretty sweet Grin

I'm looking for a portable version of the Bitcoin-Qt client that I could store on my USB drive and be able to run on all platforms (win, linux, mac).

Any suggestions?

How big is the USB drive? (current blockchain is >3 Gigabytes)

PC Hardware & Electronics For BTC     Traded w/: Kansattica | jduck1987 | shakaru | newdude | nitetrader | midievil | blo8i | mb300sd | juggalodarkclow | Garr255 | Tril | Ringmasta | SysRun | CrazyBlane | sokay | BCB | str4wm4n | PinkBatman | Bitobsessed | matauc12 | antimattercrusader | BryanK
Skirmant (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:04:10 PM

How big is the USB drive?

8GB, I think it could hold the block-chain for a year or two.
Nyhm

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 03:16:48 PM

Try VanillaWallet (I'm the developer). It's a simple Bitcoin wallet that's easy to use. It stores its files in the same directory as the program, which makes it good for portability on USB drives. It's a light-weight client, which only has to store the block-chain headers -- that means that the block store file is only about 20MB.

I currently call it Alpha, but it's fully-functional and has been entirely stable for me (read the caveats). I'd love to get more feedback on it, so please let me know how I can make it suit your needs!

You're situation is exactly what VanillaWallet is all about!

[Bitcoin Game List] ~ [BitcoinGalaxy.net Live Bitcoin Visualization] ~ [PotentialGames.com]
nevafuse

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:16:44 PM

Use brainwallet.org to generate public/private key.  Monitor balance via blockchain.info.  Send transactions using the brainwallet.org transaction generator (only use if sending full amount - not 100% setup for change).  Now you don't even need a USB, just the internet & a good memory.

The only reason to limit the block size is to subsidize non-Bitcoin currencies
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:33:01 PM

Any suggestions?

For an everyday wallet, consider the hybrid EWallet - BlockChain.info/wallet, accessible from your browser (yet their server only has an encrypted copy of the private keys)

- http://Blockchain.info/wallet

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Skirmant (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 04:30:53 PM

Thank you for the response. I'll try both options see which one fits me best Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: