Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:52:13 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone help a total noob? Can I make mining profitable in my circumstances?  (Read 2045 times)
tarzan2

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

its not my fault

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:55:33 AM

Alright I will, your words have convinced me. But no one pays is not what i said.. no one that lives here does. And the people that do will not notice the cost increase, and if they do they should shut their mouths with the rental prices we are paying

free bitcoin storage service! please send to: 1TArzAn26Wvw872Yw36JiBe21SEaypJTP
wheminghou (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 01:06:23 PM

Of course SOMEONE is always paying the electric, but I've seen some REAL bad leases / contracts that give the farm away, and I'm talking a lot more than electricity.  I NEVER cease to be amazed every single day the total idiots I find out walking around "conducting business".  I swear you should have to have a license to draw up a legally binding contract.  I'm not out looking to hose anyone, but at some point when they refuse to listen to reason, I give up trying to argue with them and let them hang themselves.  I tried...I sleep real good at night.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 02:11:54 PM

Alright I will, your words have convinced me. But no one pays is not what i said.. no one that lives here does. And the people that do will not notice the cost increase, and if they do they should shut their mouths with the rental prices we are paying

if your electricity is somwhow included in your rental, then there is no worry about paying electricity, or if this is not the case,  you could establish a contract with them where electricity is cheaper but it is included in your rental

or simply ignore it, like you have done until now
tarzan2

its not my fault

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 05:49:17 PM

this would be the obvious choice.. why instigate trouble for oneself? like i said- tho thinking and reading and stuff may not be my strongest quality- i dont pay for electricity but maybe i am i dont realize except that i receive no electric bill so hummfph this is tricky one indeed...
nonetheless, why should i go ahead and instigate a discussion on power costs? is there some kind of twisted virtue hidden in this, like giving away money before its been asked for? perhaps in some kind of charitable sense, though considering our relative fortunes, i would think the reverse should be more likely..

edit: wow this conversation devolved.. i apologize if i am coming off as aggressive, but i dont really see why so many people are trying to insinuate themselves into my electric situation. i agree the neighbor thing is in a moral gray area, but moving forward i plan to resolve this anyway

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2015, 06:11:48 PM

this would be the obvious choice.. why instigate trouble for oneself? like i said- tho thinking and reading and stuff may not be my strongest quality- i dont pay for electricity but maybe i am i dont realize except that i receive no electric bill so hummfph this is tricky one indeed...
nonetheless, why should i go ahead and instigate a discussion on power costs? is there some kind of twisted virtue hidden in this, like giving away money before its been asked for? perhaps in some kind of charitable sense, though considering our relative fortunes, i would think the reverse should be more likely..

edit: wow this conversation devolved.. i apologize if i am coming off as aggressive, but i dont really see why so many people are trying to insinuate themselves into my electric situation. i agree the neighbor thing is in a moral gray area, but moving forward i plan to resolve this anyway
People ask about this because plugging in a bunch of miners uses quite a bit of electricity.  A lot of people claim they have free electricity because it's included in the rent.  Just because you as the tenant aren't paying for it, the landlord set up the price of rent to include the electric based upon a fair and expected usage.  He probably looked at the historical usage of the property and based his decision on that.

When you introduce mining equipment into the picture, you can no longer be considered using a "fair and expected" amount of electricity.  You could likely get away with a couple U3s or maybe even a single S3/S5... but you're talking about adding many kW of additional power draw to the system.  In addition to your own, you're also scavenging your neighbor's power, making him an unknowing participant in your ventures.

Whatever the case, somebody at some point is absolutely going to notice the fact that their power bill has gone up significantly - by 4kW for you and 2kW for your neighbor.  Assuming you get decent pricing on your electricity of $0.10 all in, that's $438 a month.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 07:00:18 PM

It's not moral grey... if you are plugging into neighbors electricity without asking it is a crime.

You can justify it all you want.  But fact is you are committing a crime.
tarzan2

its not my fault

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 07:53:56 PM

It's not moral grey... if you are plugging into neighbors electricity without asking it is a crime.

omg dude plz take ur "facts" and stick them far up into place where someone cares.. you are not aware of my living situation except as far as i have revealed here.. your extreme language is not welcome here.. call the police and tell them all about my "crimes" i am sure they will do what they always do.. ie nothing. i had police in my apartment just last week- for another reason i had to call them- it was clear what it was doing with an obvious extension cord leading out my unit yet for some reason they did not even bring it up.. curious no? now notlist3d ur probably too 1337 to reason with a newb like me so i'm just going to end this stupid conversation

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 01:12:36 AM

omg dude plz take ur "facts" and stick them far up into place where someone cares.. you are not aware of my living situation except as far as i have revealed here.. your extreme language is not welcome here.. call the police and tell them all about my "crimes" i am sure they will do what they always do.. ie nothing. i had police in my apartment just last week- for another reason i had to call them- it was clear what it was doing with an obvious extension cord leading out my unit yet for some reason they did not even bring it up.. curious no? now notlist3d ur probably too 1337 to reason with a newb like me so i'm just going to end this stupid conversation

I'm aware your using your neighbor's electricity without permission.  Just ask him... you said you were going to.   

It has nothing to do with living situation.  I don't believe my language is extreme.  I have only tried to explain what your doing is not a moral grey, it's a crime.  A harmless crime?  Yes... most likely no one will be harmed with it.   I don't think a extension cord will cause the end of the world, but I am able to see it's a crime.

I find it funny you justify it.  I'm not 1337 or above anyone.  I just suggest talking to your neighbor saying "Hey I'm going to use your plug in here let me know if any issues happen"  Just that much.
tarzan2

its not my fault

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 01:18:14 AM

I'm aware your using your neighbor's electricity without permission.  Just ask him... you said you were going to.   

It has nothing to do with living situation.  I don't believe my language is extreme.  I have only tried to explain what your doing is not a moral grey, it's a crime.  A harmless crime?  Yes... most likely no one will be harmed with it.   I don't think a extension cord will cause the end of the world, but I am able to see it's a crime.

I find it funny you justify it.  I'm not 1337 or above anyone.  I just suggest talking to your neighbor saying "Hey I'm going to use your plug in here let me know if any issues happen"  Just that much.

what a heckler u are.. u must be getting off on this moral high ground.. enjoying the view from up there?
i said this conversation was over-meaning i wasnt gonna respond to u anymore, but i can see this taking some interesting turns before swerving off and incinerating in some forgotten mental wasteland. yes yes i am committing a crime.. hello NSA can you hear me! plz plz do something! i am sure this dude will bust a nut or whatever pleasure he finds in this useless debate.. oh wait a second i guess that makes <gasp> a criminal! zomfg what to do. what to do? maybe first i'll go confess to my neighbor and give him my bitcoin miners.. then i will go to the police station.. i know! i will even bring handcuffs and take care of the criminal myself.. maybe they will both give me a medal and put me in jail simultaneously? wouldnt that be a moral victory for those dreggers of society-ie me!
wow this could really be a breakthrough day.. thank you! maybe this is will be the step to end crime once and for all!

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 02:55:33 AM

what a heckler u are.. u must be getting off on this moral high ground.. enjoying the view from up there?
i said this conversation was over-meaning i wasnt gonna respond to u anymore, but i can see this taking some interesting turns before swerving off and incinerating in some forgotten mental wasteland. yes yes i am committing a crime.. hello NSA can you hear me! plz plz do something! i am sure this dude will bust a nut or whatever pleasure he finds in this useless debate.. oh wait a second i guess that makes <gasp> a criminal! zomfg what to do. what to do? maybe first i'll go confess to my neighbor and give him my bitcoin miners.. then i will go to the police station.. i know! i will even bring handcuffs and take care of the criminal myself.. maybe they will both give me a medal and put me in jail simultaneously? wouldnt that be a moral victory for those dreggers of society-ie me!
wow this could really be a breakthrough day.. thank you! maybe this is will be the step to end crime once and for all!

Heckler is what you are.  Long winded and think you have a message. 

I'm not saying there is a victim getting hurt in your crime just that it is a crime.  You make long paragraphs to sound like its complicated.  It's not complicated you are committing a crime.
tarzan2

its not my fault

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 02:57:03 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2015, 08:44:48 AM by tarzan2

hmm maybe i just have something to say instead of coming around like a small yappy dog every time the master does something interesting

keep repeating ur message. i am sure it will eventually breach this thick skull of mine.. oh wait nm.. it already did and i will do as promised.. except u cannot stop can you?

lol u have 5000 posts i bet they are like "u r bad .. stop it"

the size of my paragraph scares u huh. if we carry on i'll have to write u a page... maybe i'll do it in sonnet form.. i think even you'd find something meaningful to talk about then

wheminghou (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 03:05:47 PM

Is that a 12ga extension cord rated for 15A?   Cheesy
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 06:16:26 PM

Yea... we will find out if really does use over the 1 kw on it.  I know the S4's with their load you really need a thicker gauge.  I switched cords as other was visibly hot, after going bigger gauge it was fine.
tarzan2

its not my fault

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 07:50:23 PM

Yea... we will find out if really does use over the 1 kw on it.  I know the S4's with their load you really need a thicker gauge.  I switched cords as other was visibly hot, after going bigger gauge it was fine.

im doing a s4+ with a 14 gauge seems to be ok.. i was using 16 until i realized it was a bad idea

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 12:35:16 AM

im doing a s4+ with a 14 gauge seems to be ok.. i was using 16 until i realized it was a bad idea

Is it getting hot with 14 gauge on wire to the touch?   A s4+ is a lot to put on that gauge.   
tarzan2

its not my fault

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 01:32:20 AM

Not particularly but the main thing that concerns me is that ocassionaly the connection to my voltage regulator that feeds the s4+ sparks every now and then Sad

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 02:51:36 AM

Not particularly but the main thing that concerns me is that ocassionaly the connection to my voltage regulator that feeds the s4+ sparks every now and then Sad

Yea spark is not good for anything.   If it was true 220/240 a 10 gauge is what would be recommended.   (I owe philipma1957 for much of my 240 knowlege so credit goes to him).   With it being on 110 it has to be at about full capacity with a S4+ on it.  You might look at bigger gauge wire.  But it's hard to tell as it was not really meant to run on 110, but if big enough amp breaker it might do it and max it out pretty much.
tarzan2

its not my fault

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 02:57:36 AM

Yea spark is not good for anything.   If it was true 220/240 a 10 gauge is what would be recommended.   (I owe philipma1957 for much of my 240 knowlege so credit goes to him).   With it being on 110 it has to be at about full capacity with a S4+ on it.  You might look at bigger gauge wire.  But it's hard to tell as it was not really meant to run on 110, but if big enough amp breaker it might do it and max it out pretty much.
[/quote

It pretty much is at full capacity.. Tried to add an ac to circuit and it shorted.. Its been running a while now like this so I think its ok but im sure its not ideal

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: