Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:09:12 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (PS3 possibility?) Clustering  (Read 1268 times)
omegaaf (OP)

Activity: 181
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:22:51 PM

I have accumulated a number of PlayStation 3s, most of which with dead lasers, other than that nothing wrong. Now, with that said, I know you can only get ~80Mh/s out of one, but what if you were to cluster? Have them all operate as one computer? either GPU-wise or CPU-wise? would it be worth the power drawl?
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 07:17:21 PM

No

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 07:21:25 PM
Last edit: August 31, 2012, 09:10:34 PM by paraipan

I have accumulated a number of PlayStation 3s, most of which with dead lasers, other than that nothing wrong. Now, with that said, I know you can only get ~80Mh/s out of one, but what if you were to cluster? Have them all operate as one computer? either GPU-wise or CPU-wise? would it be worth the power drawl?

Yes on the ps3 cluster, no on power draw. In this thread you have the answers https://bitcointalk.org/?topic=4704.0

Edit: Being more specific in my answer

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 07:43:52 PM

Excuse me how "clustering" them would make them better? 2 ps3 does 160mhash and consume exactly double the energy of one.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 07:47:52 PM

It's just math.

Say your electricity costs $0.10/kwh.  A PS3 draws 120w when mining.  It'll use 87 kwh/month in electricity, for a total expense of $8.70/month.  You could currently mine about 1 BTC/month with 80 mh/s, for a total revenue of $11.00/month.  So, you make a whopping $2.30/month per PS3 for your trouble.

Basically, no, it's not worth it.  Not in my opinion at least.  Also factor in that difficulty is continuing to increase, so it'll soon become unprofitable entirely.

If you have really cheap electricity, then it might be worth it for a while yet.
ForceField
aka Vitaliy

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 09:07:46 PM

The Playstation 3 is an expensive piece of hardware to replace should it overheat and/or fail. Also keep in mind that the original fat PS3 gets very hot/warm just running idle. It wasn't intended to be used at 100% load for that purpose for long periods and isn't very efficient at cooling.

Which PS3 version do you have (original fat or newer slim)?

PC Hardware & Electronics For BTC     Traded w/: Kansattica | jduck1987 | shakaru | newdude | nitetrader | midievil | blo8i | mb300sd | juggalodarkclow | Garr255 | Tril | Ringmasta | SysRun | CrazyBlane | sokay | BCB | str4wm4n | PinkBatman | Bitobsessed | matauc12 | antimattercrusader | BryanK
omegaaf (OP)

Activity: 181
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:12:20 PM

The Playstation 3 is an expensive piece of hardware to replace should it overheat and/or fail. Also keep in mind that the original fat PS3 gets very hot/warm just running idle. It wasn't intended to be used at 100% load for that purpose for long periods and isn't very efficient at cooling.

all of them. i have 8 or 9 now, and I realize there are threads about it, but they are about a year old. A lot can change in a year..
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:15:45 PM

all of them. i have 8 or 9 now, and I realize there are threads about it, but they are about a year old. A lot can change in a year..
Sell them.  You'll make more than you would in a year of Bitcoin mining.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: