Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:21:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin would make payroll awesome  (Read 1597 times)
BitMonkey (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:00:13 PM

As I sit and wait for my check to be printed and signed by payroll dept.,
So I can drive to the bank (the one where the check is issued from so it can be done same day)
Where i had to open an account just for this situation
So I can cash first and then deposit (Thus avoiding a hold).
And have access to some buying power.

It would be awesome if they paid me in BTC,
Just issue distributions to everyone's address in the morning.
Shit by lunch its good to go.

Some guys have to deposit check and wait for clearance which is a nightmare.

Just thinking out loud

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:27:47 PM

Everyone I know has electronic automatic deposit into their checking account. But I'm sure not everyone can get that. Bitcoin would indeed be awesome for payroll, and pretty much everything else that involves money. Cheesy
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:38:32 PM

I guess the only complexity versus single-bank-account direct deposit, would be making sure the employer sends the funds to a different address each time?  Otherwise for any payment you send out, the recipient has access to your salary history, unless you do all your payments through a coin mixer.  This and other similar situations are why I think mixing will eventually have to be default behavior either in clients, or as part of the protocol.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 11:47:04 PM

I was thinking about this. This would be the last step of where I would use a bank once BitInstant has debit card and billpay.

I would just have my direct deposit go straight to a bill account and a spending account.

I would even write up some budgetting software for my wallet so that my family spending could be trickled out throughout the month (keeping the wife from spending all of the paycheck on a shopping spree). I tried to do it once where I sent so much money to a checking account every day but the bank stopped it because of too many transfers in one month, plus if more was spent than was in the account the bank would charge a fee and let the spending go through.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:56:30 PM

I was thinking about this. This would be the last step of where I would use a bank once BitInstant has debit card and billpay.

I would just have my direct deposit go straight to a bill account and a spending account.

I would even write up some budgetting software for my wallet so that my family spending could be trickled out throughout the month (keeping the wife from spending all of the paycheck on a shopping spree). I tried to do it once where I sent so much money to a checking account every day but the bank stopped it because of too many transfers in one month, plus if more was spent than was in the account the bank would charge a fee and let the spending go through.

If you are using plastic, you can stop automatic overdraft rapes.  When the law changed a few years ago, all of my credit card companies were hysterically begging me to opt in to overcharge protection so that they could charge me $35+ if I ever went over limit.  I declined them all, and now if a charge would ever accidentally take me over my limit, it is merely declined, for free.  It's happened a few times when I wasn't paying attention.  I just put away the card that pays 2% cash back and have them redo the charge on the card that I rarely use because it only pays back 1%.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 12:02:18 AM

If you are using plastic, you can stop automatic overdraft rapes.  When the law changed a few years ago, all of my credit card companies were hysterically begging me to opt in to overcharge protection so that they could charge me $35+ if I ever went over limit.  I declined them all, and now if a charge would ever accidentally take me over my limit, it is merely declined, for free.  It's happened a few times when I wasn't paying attention.  I just put away the card that pays 2% cash back and have them redo the charge on the card that I rarely use because it only pays back 1%.

Good to know. I have gone to my banker several times to have them override an overdraft fee. Usually it is their fault for holding up my money for a deposit too large.

They say the same thing every time...we let it go through because 'what if it was your mortgage'.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 02:05:50 AM

Everyone I know has electronic automatic deposit into their checking account. But I'm sure not everyone can get that. Bitcoin would indeed be awesome for payroll, and pretty much everything else that involves money. Cheesy

Yep, I'm wondering where the OP is located that the banking system is so primitive.  It's standard here to have your wages deposited directly into your bank account and then pay all your bills online from your bank account.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 02:31:07 AM

Yep, I'm wondering where the OP is located that the banking system is so primitive.  It's standard here to have your wages deposited directly into your bank account and then pay all your bills online from your bank account.

I'm guessing it was either a first or last check, either of which is likely to (still) be done by hand.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 02:47:13 AM

If they issue in the morning it's good to go by morning, not lunch :-)

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 11:32:58 PM

Lol, they buy you $3000 worth of bitcoins for payroll and the market crashes or Gox is hacked, by the time you receive it in the morning it's now worth $1500. If you had EFT deposit, and were a gambling man you could easily set up your account to receive payroll and sweep funds to a bitcoin exchanger automatically or have it sent to an ATM payroll card you've mailed to an exchanger to pay you out. Just hope the price per coin doesn't plummet

Trader Steve

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 01:11:02 AM

Lol, they buy you $3000 worth of bitcoins for payroll and the market crashes or Gox is hacked, by the time you receive it in the morning it's now worth $1500. If you had EFT deposit, and were a gambling man you could easily set up your account to receive payroll and sweep funds to a bitcoin exchanger automatically or have it sent to an ATM payroll card you've mailed to an exchanger to pay you out. Just hope the price per coin doesn't plummet

Of course the inverse could happen too - your paycheck doubles by lunchtime and you call in sick for the next two weeks!  Grin
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 01:06:38 PM

As I sit and wait for my check to be printed and signed by payroll dept.,
So I can drive to the bank (the one where the check is issued from so it can be done same day)
Where i had to open an account just for this situation
So I can cash first and then deposit (Thus avoiding a hold).
And have access to some buying power.
Dude, it's 2012. Nobody gets a printed payroll paper check anymore, which he has to drive to the bank (WTF!?) to deposit there and wait until it clears or whatever.

Don't get me wrong - I would absolutely prefer BTC over regular banking. But if your employer simply wires everybody's salaries in the morning, you and your colleagues got that shit on your bank accounts in the afternoon, and you can immediately spend it wherever you want with PIN, credit card, or even get old fashioned cash from an ATM.
(at least that's how it works here in Europe, dunno about certain underdeveloped regions in the world...)

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: