Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:23:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will governements shut down the internet?  (Read 2982 times)
Indemnified (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 08:00:37 PM

Below is an excerpt from the George Ure newsletter Peoplenomics. What do you guys think? Will (corprate controlled)governments worldwide shut down the internet before acquiescing to their loss of control over moeny?

"...The eG8 is designed to give the ruling PowersThatBe a way to keep control of money since peer-to-peer alternative money systems are quickly coming online.

Because they don't use worlds like US Dollar, it's a horrific problem for the Secret Service and other anti-free money agencies which are sworn to uphold the singularity of the ruling paradigm's concept of "money" and central to that is the notion of exclusivity.

Once again, the agenda is carefully held close, but when I tell you that some future cyber crime will be used to justify closing down peer-to-peer money systems  - like BitCoin.org  or any other attempt at a peer-to-peer virtual currency - I think it's a fairly safe prediction.

Governments hate competition.

That only leaves open the matter of timing.  And we should see it in headlines before the year it out.  That paradigm defenders need to have it all done and in place well prior to the 2012 "election" is a kind of article of faith.

That Iran has moved to disconnect its internet from the rest of the world is a curious development; seems governments all over the world are awakening, at some level to the same threat.  And why not?  Only by keeping the global mass consciousness divided against itself can the have/have-not, good-vs.-evil paradigm be maintained.

Why if that failed, what would religions and governments do to maintain control?  You see the problem, I trust.  And quite laughably:  It put's Iran in league with the G8 on the subject of 'net control': Just when you thought "Things can't get much stranger."

They just did.  Paradigm controllers make the damnedest strange bedfellows. ..."
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 08:07:06 PM

Well, they can try  Grin
Indemnified (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 09:14:31 PM

Well, they can try  Grin

Power being the ultimate addiction, they most certainally will try. First they (governments and corpgovs) will attempt mostly futile methods (regulations, laws, harassment of innovators and leaders), but when that fails they will undoubtledly, in my opinion, do whatever it takes to hang on to power (exclusivity over money) - up to and including the gotterdammerung of shutting down the internet. In my opinion it is naive to think that the powers that be could not or would not shut down the internet before letting go of control. For this reason, in addition to buying and using bitcoins, I grow food and consider ways to live off the grid if I have to.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 09:31:31 PM

Highly unlikely.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 09:33:19 PM

It's impossible. That would me the collapse of their own system
chestert0nn

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 10:02:19 PM

Obama want's a kill switch in place just like the Egyptians

Shocked
Indemnified (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 10:06:40 PM

It's impossible. That would me the collapse of their own system

Yes, precisely. That would mean the collapse of their own system (gotterdamerung). But, being power addicts, they would prefer the hope of being able to control whatever emerged from the ruins to giving over power to freedom addicts like us  Smiley

So, not "imposiible". Not even "unlikely" given who controls the dominant world sytems. Shall we say 50/50?
utphan

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 10:07:13 PM

We know if the US of A can't control it, they is gonna try to shut it down
PabloW

Activity: 228
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 10:12:26 PM

"shut down the internet"

C'mon! really?
Horkabork

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 10:34:49 PM

One time, the government shut down my internet. I heard a loud crash at the time, and then my connection went dead. I went outside and, sure enough, some lady (who surely had been sent by the government) had pretended to skid on the icy road so that she could hit the utility poll with her large SUV.

All across America, I'm pretty sure that this and similar "accidents" happened to many different people at the same time. But because my internet connection was down, I couldn't get on any chatrooms, blogs, twitters, or forums to confirm my suspicions. By the time my internet connection had been repaired, after this internet shutdown had apparently failed, I'm sure that the government erased any mention of the event on the internet and put a filter in place so that I could never talk about how

Me: 15gbWvpLPfbLJZBsL2u5gkBdL3BUXDbTuF
A goat: http://i52.tinypic.com/34pj4v6.jpg
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 10:45:33 PM

Can't happen. I've yet to hear politician speak that actually understands how the internet, or even their own PC works at the basic level.

They have no chance controlling something they do not understand. Perhaps if there was a geek politician they might have a chance ... but when did you last see a geek politician?, they are all lawyers, accountants, PR spin types or teachers ... tech. beats power-parasites, always has, always will ... the H-bomb was not built by politicians.

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 10:47:25 PM

This reminds me of "Machines have little meaning on the planet, humans could shut them down any time!!!1one"

Good luck trying. It's done, we are hybrids and this change can never be reverted. Whoever tries is at a massive disadvantage and will be conquered, bought, or otherwise removed from the map.

What will the government do once it lost most of its information-related assets? Hitler reloaded, this time against a full-digital enemy? Hah, hardly scary. Wink Look at northern Africa, what even a juvenile network infrastructure does to its enemies. Shut it down and face the hatred of all those using it.

People could join the Unabomber and try to blow up all the scientists. Pff.
d.james

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:49:37 PM

My source tells me that all the internet connections in the USA is connected to a giant router,
which sits heavily guarded in a basement of a top secret room inside the pentagon.

So, yes, Obama can shut BTC down with a flip of a switch.

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Anonymous

May 29, 2011, 11:49:50 PM

Not 'all' politicians or ex pollies are completely evil. Here's one who I actually have some respect for http://media.witcoin.com/p/1753/Rick-Falkvinge-why-Im-putting-all-my-savings-into-bitcoin as a decent human being. That is saying a lot considering how I usually view these people.

Something to watch out for is mondonet http://www.mondonet.org/
which has as its aims to create an internet that bypasses the existing bottlenecks of isp's and wants to make it so that each individual person is an 'isp'.

Anonymous

May 29, 2011, 11:50:35 PM

One time, the government shut down my internet. I heard a loud crash at the time, and then my connection went dead. I went outside and, sure enough, some lady (who surely had been sent by the government) had pretended to skid on the icy road so that she could hit the utility poll with her large SUV.

All across America, I'm pretty sure that this and similar "accidents" happened to many different people at the same time. But because my internet connection was down, I couldn't get on any chatrooms, blogs, twitters, or forums to confirm my suspicions. By the time my internet connection had been repaired, after this internet shutdown had apparently failed, I'm sure that the government erased any mention of the event on the internet and put a filter in place so that I could never talk about how

I see what you did there.   Smiley
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:55:37 PM

If nothing else bitcoin will flush out the crypto-facists currently inside/behind the halls of power.

They will have no choice but to make themselves and their evil intentions known in order to fight it.

Indemnified (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 12:01:08 AM

Can't happen. I've yet to hear politician speak that actually understands how the internet, or even their own PC works at the basic level.

They have no chance controlling something they do not understand. Perhaps if there was a geek politician they might have a chance ... but when did you last see a geek politician?, they are all lawyers, accountants, PR spin types or teachers ... tech. beats power-parasites, always has, always will ... the H-bomb was not built by politicians.

Let's not be naive. Politicians are just the hired help. As are/will be many "geeks" (the new warriors?). Unless/until the new bitcoin paradigm reaches critical mass, the old paradigm in which the Powers That Be can `create` as much `money` as they choose, in control of an `asleep at the wheel` populace, has them in the driver`s seat. They can buy the regulation or shutdown of whatever they choose.  What are you going to do about it? The eG8 Forum recommendations to the G8 politicians was written out before any disenting presentaitons (windnowdressing) were even given.

more from George Ure at Peoplenomics:

There are essentially three key reasons why control of the Internet is most certainly in our future, it being only a matter of timing until it is rolled out and independent, unregulated servers will have to be outlawed.
The first reason - the superficial reason - will be to deny terrorists and WikiLeakers a platform for the distribution of information.  No doubt the mandatory aspects of this will come in company with some horrific crime or attack on America's heartland using the internet in some crucial and highly visible role.

This will provide the ostensible justification.

The second and third reasons, however, are the real reasons why such measures must occur.

Reason #2, you see, is that the Internet allows people to spontaneously organize and for an alternative government to come to power. Few have thought this through, but imagine for a moment what would happen if the internet suddenly sprouted a larger portal which claimed to be the legitimate government of the United States.

We're not talking a simple Koch brother's funded buying of Tea Party DNS addresses; no we'd be talking a whole new government structure complete with online legislatures, online Congress and a new president - all operated online.

That threat is real,  but so far, most civilians who could roll out such an alternative government with no corporate control and based on human values and those of the Framers, has not happened because of a lack of imagination.

I've modeled it out, and interestingly, such a movement "Second Government" to put a name to it, would be an alternative government where votes would be cast and publicized online.

That's why government is so anxious to get into licensing of the internet in one sense; it isn't the discussion of various points of disagreement.  No biggie that.  It's the organization capability of the platform to declare an additional layer of governance where popular opinion would really matter.

This frightens the hell out of everyone in corpgov:  In such a system, people would simply invalidate decisions made in Washington that don't have popular support; like bailing out those too big to fail" companies, or being involved in Libya, or other parts of the sandbox.  Worse:  People wouldn't stand for corporate tax breaks as a legitimate way of spending what is supposed to be un employment funds.  

As we speak, states are converting money once intended to give people a minimal way to buy food and hang onto their homes and converting it into tax breaks for corporations that are already profitable.  Do you really think a wide-open discussion of such hijinks on Second Government would allow such nonsense?  Why, of course not.

But, as long as there is no Second Government in place, headlines like "Florida Senate approves business tax cut that shrinks unemployment benefits" will be the new 'normal' in what's left of America.

Of course Reason #3 is then also obvious.  The eG8 is designed to give the ruling PowersThatBe a way to keep control of money since peer-to-peer alternative money systems are quickly coming online. ...
Indemnified (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 12:08:17 AM

Not 'all' politicians or ex pollies are completely evil. Here's one who I actually have some respect for http://media.witcoin.com/p/1753/Rick-Falkvinge-why-Im-putting-all-my-savings-into-bitcoin as a decent human being. That is saying a lot considering how I usually view these people.

Something to watch out for is mondonet http://www.mondonet.org/
which has as its aims to create an internet that bypasses the existing bottlenecks of isp's and wants to make it so that each individual person is an 'isp'.

Do they take btc donations? Could they use btc to fund their work?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 12:15:07 AM

Let's not be naive. Politicians are just the hired help. As are/will be many "geeks" (the new warriors?). Unless/until the new bitcoin paradigm reaches critical mass, the old paradigm in which the Powers That Be can `create` as much `money` as they choose, in control of an `asleep at the wheel` populace, has them in the driver`s seat. They can buy the regulation or shutdown of whatever they choose.  What are you going to do about it?

We get the geeks and techies to want to be paid in bitcoin ... then anybody working for the man will have an incentive to defect or sabotage the anti-bitcoin faction from the inside.

It's the army that is paid in gold that wins. Bitcoin is the techie gold ... tech. adoption of bitcoin is essential for the coming battle. Spreading bitcoin to techies is the most crucial audience at this point ... it sells itself on this one mostly.

Indemnified (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 12:17:11 AM

Let's not be naive. Politicians are just the hired help. As are/will be many "geeks" (the new warriors?). Unless/until the new bitcoin paradigm reaches critical mass, the old paradigm in which the Powers That Be can `create` as much `money` as they choose, in control of an `asleep at the wheel` populace, has them in the driver`s seat. They can buy the regulation or shutdown of whatever they choose.  What are you going to do about it?

We get the geeks and techies to want to be paid in bitcoin ... then anybody working for the man will have an incentive to defect or sabotage the anti-bitcoin faction from the inside.

It's the army that is paid in gold that wins. Bitcoin is the techie gold ... tech. adoption of bitcoin is essential for the coming battle. Spreading bitcoin to techies is the most crucial audience at this point ... it sells itself on this one mostly.

+1
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: