Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:17:23 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can mining power be compaired to rate of blocks found?  (Read 770 times)
bootz47 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 05:53:11 PM

Hi All,

I'm just curious. Given that the fastest miner is currently contributing 1/5th~ of the total mining power, how come there not averaging 1/5th of the blocks found? I just woundered if it may technically be possible to divert found blocks to ones own wallet directly insted of back to the pool. Assuming you were on the the same block and midstate? Is this something that the pool monitors? I see that you monitor luck, but do you cross check blocks found against miner contribution?

If any of the raw data is avaliable I'd love to see what could be done with it to see if blocks found roughly tally with individual miners total (life time) effort.

Thanks.
James.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 08:44:42 PM

Hi All,

I'm just curious. Given that the fastest miner is currently contributing 1/5th~ of the total mining power, how come there not averaging 1/5th of the blocks found? I just woundered if it may technically be possible to divert found blocks to ones own wallet directly insted of back to the pool. Assuming you were on the the same block and midstate? Is this something that the pool monitors? I see that you monitor luck, but do you cross check blocks found against miner contribution?

If any of the raw data is avaliable I'd love to see what could be done with it to see if blocks found roughly tally with individual miners total (life time) effort.

Thanks.
James.
Are you asking about this in general, or in regards to a specific pool?

In general, the number of blocks found is directly related to your hashing power.  For example, if you look at AntPool and f2pool, you'll see they are finding the lion's share of the blocks because they are the biggest pools.  Sure, a pool can have a lucky streak and find more blocks than it should based on its hash rate.  Just like a pool can have a bad luck streak and find fewer blocks than it should.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 11:37:00 PM

By design, the chances of solving a block are proportional to your hash power. So if you are contributing 1/5 of the total hash power, you solve around 1/5 of the blocks. There is no way to directly measure the hash power of all the miners. It is currently done indirectly by measuring the time between blocks.

When you submit a share to a pool, it verifies your work before crediting you. If you modify the coinbase transaction to point to your address, the pool will know and reject your share.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
mayflor2

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 05:42:10 AM

Hi All,

Thanks.
James.

The bitcoin network is set up to keep the average block time to 10 minutes.  If more miners come online and that average time between blocks becomes less, the network auto-adjusts.  This adjustment comes once every 14 days.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4672

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 11:37:08 AM

Hi All,

I'm just curious. Given that the fastest miner is currently contributing 1/5th~ of the total mining power, how come there not averaging 1/5th of the blocks found?

I assume you are asking about bitcoin?  If you are asking about an altcoin, then the answers to your questions will depend on the specific rules of that coin.  If you are asking about bitcoin then . . .

How do you know they are contributing 1/5th of the hash power? How do you know they are not averaging 1/5th of the blocks founds?  If they are actually contributing nearly 1/5th of the hashpower, then they are almost certainly averaging nearly 1/5th of the blocks found.

I just woundered if it may technically be possible to divert found blocks to ones own wallet directly insted of back to the pool.

No, that's not possible.  If it was, then everyone would do it and the pools wouldn't exist.

Assuming you were on the the same block and midstate?

If you change the address that the block reward will be paid to, then it isn't possible to be on the same midstate, since part of the input to the hash function that calculates the midstate is the merkle root, and the assigning of the value of the block reward is used in the calculation of the merkle root.

Is this something that the pool monitors?

Indirectly, yes.  They monitor the validity of the shares submitted.  If you are calculating a nonce for a different midstate, then most of the time your nonce won't result in valid shares.

I see that you monitor luck, but do you cross check blocks found against miner contribution?

In what way?  Miners contribute shares.  Occasionally those shares are also valid blocks.  If they aren't submitting valid shares, then they aren't participating and don't get paid by the pool. If they are submitting valid shares, then they are paticipating and do get paid.

Thanks.
James.

You'd have to talk to each of the pool operators if you want a list of how many shares each participant contributed.  Some pools may not keep that information.  Some participants may be operating under multiple connections, so they may be difficult to uniquely identify.
numismatist
Legendary

Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 03:54:30 PM

By design, the chances of solving a block are proportional to your hash power. So if you are contributing 1/5 of the total hash power, you solve around 1/5 of the blocks. There is no way to directly measure the hash power of all the miners. It is currently done indirectly by measuring the time between blocks.

The famous 10 minutes, who on average always had been smaller then 10 minutes except in times of shrinking difficulty. Currently a hot toppic if those 10 are to long. The real number like 9.87654something would interest me.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 04:23:53 PM

The famous 10 minutes, who on average always had been smaller then 10 minutes except in times of shrinking difficulty. Currently a hot toppic if those 10 are to long. The real number like 9.87654something would interest me.
Just like Neo found out in the Matrix... there is no spoon.

The network has no concept of hash rate.  All it knows is that at timestamp A, block X was solved and at timestamp B, block Y was solved.  It calculates the hash rate based on that timespan and network difficulty.  Every 2016 blocks, the network evaluates how it did.  The way it does this is again independent of hash rate.  It simply says, "What would the network difficulty have needed to be to make the previous 2016 blocks take 14 days?  Adjust network difficulty to that value."

The key point to this is that the network hash rate is interpolated based upon how long it takes to solve blocks and the target difficulty for those block solutions.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: