Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:03:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can't this forum be a "trusted" community?  (Read 454 times)
Equinoxx (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 07:46:37 PM

I was just looking at some peoples recent posts and see they aren't using escrow... Why can't the whole forum be like this? If someone has a picture of the item they're selling just send and they have decent trust why not just send away? I have started a thread that is like an online store but it has limited me to using escrow. I have no problem with this but it will become a bit of a tedious process.

If I would try to do this, I would stop account trading. This just encourages scammers. They had a Senior account that scammed a loan thread and now he is using that money to buy a new account and he repeats.

When I see a Newbie - Member account selling something make sure they are using escrow if they try avoiding it in anyway just avoid them.

My suggestion is this: In the Service discussion board you could add a "Trusted Merchants" thread or something along those lines.
Then people who has done more than 15 reasonable* trades could be listed there and be trusted to trade without escrow in a certain degree. maybe (BTC0.5 or less)

A reasonable trade could mean doing a service, selling something or buying something.

Just my input. I got the idea from Marcos 'big 5' escrow list.

What do you guys think about this?

-.sgmf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 07:59:56 PM

The forum itself isn't going to mark anyone as trusted. That's for traders to decide individually.

It is possible to get trustworthy enough that most people won't require escrow. Escrow agents themselves must meet this criteria, since you're trusting them with the money (unless you're using multisig). But this requires a lot of trust because you have to trust that:
- The person isn't executing a long con.
- In case of an unexpected dispute (lost in the mail, etc.), they will handle it fairly.
- They're competent enough that you can be sure that their account isn't compromised.
- Etc.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3074

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 08:25:01 PM

I was just looking at some peoples recent posts and see they aren't using escrow... Why can't the whole forum be like this?

Two reasons:

1) Anonymous accounts (attract people with no ethics or morals)
2) Irreversible currency

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Equinoxx (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 08:27:41 PM

The forum itself isn't going to mark anyone as trusted. That's for traders to decide individually.

It is possible to get trustworthy enough that most people won't require escrow. Escrow agents themselves must meet this criteria, since you're trusting them with the money (unless you're using multisig). But this requires a lot of trust because you have to trust that:
- The person isn't executing a long con.
- In case of an unexpected dispute (lost in the mail, etc.), they will handle it fairly.
- They're competent enough that you can be sure that their account isn't compromised.
- Etc.

I was just looking at some peoples recent posts and see they aren't using escrow... Why can't the whole forum be like this?

Two reasons:

1) Anonymous accounts (attract people with no ethics or morals)
2) Irreversible currency

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a pretty good understanding of what's been said. Closing the thread Smiley

-.sgmf
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: