Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:15:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ozcoin not as profitable as others?  (Read 2864 times)
JBDive (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 03:38:21 PM

Tried Ozcoin and I have not done the math but in just looking at the numbers over the past 24 hours it doesn't look like I am earning near as much as on say eligius. Sure pool vs. pool things are going to be different but my quick BTC balance divided by 24 hours seems to show almost 1/3 less mining potential on Ozcoin as Eligius.

Am I in the ballpark, math is off or just nuts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 03:42:44 PM

Tried Ozcoin and I have not done the math but in just looking at the numbers over the past 24 hours it doesn't look like I am earning near as much as on say eligius. Sure pool vs. pool things are going to be different but my quick BTC balance divided by 24 hours seems to show almost 1/3 less mining potential on Ozcoin as Eligius.

Variance. One day you could make 1/3rd of what you would make PPS, another day you could make x5 as much. You would be better off mining there for 1-2 weeks then putting everything side by side and come to a conclusion.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 03:47:42 PM

Give it some time, is a DGM pool and a very good one.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 05:06:16 PM

As the others have said you need to give DGM some time.  It pays less up front and more in the middle and keeps paying for a bit after you quit.  That's how it attempts to ameliorate variance caused by what the BTC community has termed "luck".

Besides that there have been a few VERY long rounds in this 24 hour period on Ozco so that will hurt quite a bit too.  So try and take that into account.  There have been periods that Ozco has been paying better than Proportional or PPS pools.  But still it tends to even out in the end.

The only way I can think of to get a really accurate comparison between pools is to mine two different pools for an entire difficulty period with two separate rigs configured the same on the same internet connection.  But even that is not completely accurate since two different GPU's of the same model and manufacturing run will still have different performance characteristics.

It's really hard to compare apples to apples in Bitcoin mining.  Which is what brings it value.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
JBDive (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 08:33:03 PM

Got it, will round up my current BTC amount on Eligius and maybe give Oz another chance for a longer period of time. I had tried them in the past prior to DGM when Eligius was having some issues but hadn't been back until this week and gave it basically a 24 hour run.

@os2sam, off topic but you will get a kick out of this. I have a customer running their voicemail system on an old XT system running OS2! I just replaced the power supply about two months ago. Told them then though that when it crashes the motherboard they will likley be out of luck, probably need to see if I can dig out a an old 600MB HD and try to image the system onto another drive, original HD still running.

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 08:58:01 PM

Got it, will round up my current BTC amount on Eligius and maybe give Oz another chance for a longer period of time. I had tried them in the past prior to DGM when Eligius was having some issues but hadn't been back until this week and gave it basically a 24 hour run.

@os2sam, off topic but you will get a kick out of this. I have a customer running their voicemail system on an old XT system running OS2! I just replaced the power supply about two months ago. Told them then though that when it crashes the motherboard they will likley be out of luck, probably need to see if I can dig out a an old 600MB HD and try to image the system onto another drive, original HD still running.

And I just gave my last IBM PC XT's, AT's and PS/2's to Goodwill too.  Maybe they could have used them?  You still find OS/2 running the strangest places Smiley.

I think that phone system applications is by Serenity Systems International and they are still around and may be a supported app.

I used to run Dos, Windoze and OS/2 off a 40MB hard drive.  Those were the days Smiley
Thanks,
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 03:49:06 AM

JBDive shame you didn't persevere
Just had the most awesome run of luck, quite a block party going in IRC atm Cheesy

DGM does take some time to "ramp up" but if/when you stop mining you continue to be paid for several rounds you submit no shares to, this is part of what makes DGM hopping proof Smiley

from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=39497.0
Some of the confusion I think I'm seeing with DGM is the lag time between cause and effect.  Most people seem to have figured it out, but occasionally there will be some new people or what have you that don't understand that what you do right now won't necessarily affect your payout for another 4 - 7 blocks.
It makes for some confusing cause and effect if you aren't prepared for it or understand what's going on. 
I like to think of it as a capacitor. If you have a light bulb and capacitor in parallel connected to a DC source, the bulb won't be lit right away. As the capacitor charges more current is routed through the bulb and it becomes brighter, until it reaches its maximum brightness as if there was no capacitor. If the power source is disconnected, the bulb gradually fades as the capacitor discharges its stored energy through the bulb. No energy is lost.

Of course there are many other real-life examples of this dynamic. Electric radiative space heaters come to mind - you turn them on and only after a while they become hot and heat the room. The dynamic is the same also quantitatively - in all 3 cases it can be modeled with (dx / dt) = a - bx, where a becomes 0 when the source is discontinued, and where x is itself the derivative of some quantity of interest.

For example, on EMC, if you stop mining right now, your Proportional Differential will be higher than if you had kept mining for the current block.  However, 4 - 7 blocks down the road, your prop differential is going to start taking a bit of a dive until it evens out the increase you saw on the block you stopped mining on, then it will start picking back up to neutral territory.
This comment confused me until I realized you meant that you stop mining and resume sometime later.
the capacitor analogy helps many understand Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 03:57:33 AM

What about in my case, where I usually stop mining for about 2-3 hours a night to play some video games. I'm mining the other 20-22 hours of the day. Will these couple hours be enough to slow down my DGM payouts to the point where PPS would be better for me?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 03:59:48 AM

What about in my case, where I usually stop mining for about 2-3 hours a night to play some video games. I'm mining the other 20-22 hours of the day. Will these couple hours be enough to slow down my DGM payouts to the point where PPS would be better for me?

The expected value for each share you submit is the same as for a fee free PPS pool. The difference is variance, and you need to decide if you're happy to pay for reduction in variance or not. If you're of a nervous disposition, you might want to go PPS.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 04:08:05 AM

Just had the most awesome run of luck, quite a block party going in IRC atm Cheesy

So does the DGM ramp down based off the number of shares, blocks found, or time since I stopped mining? I got progressively smaller rewards for those 5 back-to-back blocks, 4 of which I had no shares submitted to.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 04:44:49 AM

Based on your score, which is intimately tied to submitted shares.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 05:00:58 AM

So does the DGM ramp down based off the number of shares, blocks found, or time since I stopped mining? I got progressively smaller rewards for those 5 back-to-back blocks, 4 of which I had no shares submitted to.
Both shares and blocks. (This is the "double" in DGM.)

As ooc says the total amount you get on average is the same in PPS and DGM (with the same fee), no matter what is your mining pattern. If you mine 22 hours a day you get 22/24 of what you would get for mining 24 hours, in both PPS and DGM.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: