Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:10:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This Connection is Untrusted?  (Read 894 times)
Mt. Gox (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:11:37 AM

Did anybody else get this error message for a few minutes while trying to load Bitcointalk.org?

What is Cash-generation.com? (The site doesn't load for me) And what does it have got to do with Bitcointalk? Did we just get hacked?

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:17:35 AM

No, I didn't get anything. Something may have installed a rouge certificate. Check your computer for any adware, also look through your installed certificates and look for anything suspicious. 

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:19:34 AM

My connection is as usual smooth! Just check the URL is exactly the same as bitcointalk.org. I think there is no problem, just ignore the pop up window!
Operatr

Activity: 798

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2015, 08:20:07 AM

Did anybody else get this error message for a few minutes while trying to load Bitcointalk.org?

What is Cash-generation.com? (The site doesn't load for me) And what does it have got to do with Bitcointalk? Did we just get hacked?

I got a bit different type of error a few minutes back.
I got a red page when I was about to open my profile page and it said - SSL Certificate is not verified and something like that. I thought my account was getting hacked. But after 5 minutes it was all fine and I changed my password to be safe. Grin
Or is someone hacking bitcointalk? :O Lol don't think so Tongue

Mt. Gox (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:22:00 AM

No, I didn't get anything. Something may have installed a rouge certificate. Check your computer for any adware, also look through your installed certificates and look for anything suspicious. 

I did a check on the domain name (cash-generation.com) and it appears to be unregistered. I checked the balances of my Bitcoin wallets and all my coins are there. Very strange. I'm using a shared wifi connection so perhaps there is something wrong with the router...

My connection is as usual smooth! Just check the URL is exactly the same as bitcointalk.org. I think there is no problem, just ignore the pop up window!

Hmm... It wasn't a popup window. The whole site just looked like that for a while.

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]
CrackedLogic
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:31:02 AM

I did a check on the domain name (cash-generation.com) and it appears to be unregistered. I checked the balances of my Bitcoin wallets and all my coins are there. Very strange. I'm using a shared wifi connection so perhaps there is something wrong with the router...

Hmm... It wasn't a popup window. The whole site just looked like that for a while.

That's weird, why would the domain be unregistered? I'm going to assume that the problem is going to be on your side, did you go through your installed certificates?

Mt. Gox (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:41:20 AM

I got a bit different type of error a few minutes back.
I got a red page when I was about to open my profile page and it said - SSL Certificate is not verified and something like that. I thought my account was getting hacked. But after 5 minutes it was all fine and I changed my password to be safe. Grin
Or is someone hacking bitcointalk? :O Lol don't think so Tongue

Hmm... So it seems that I'm not the only one who had a similar problem then.

It does look like it's running normally now, and so far no one else other than us have been affected. According to the Wayback Machine and Google, Cash-generation.com used to be connected to HYIPs and once hosted a Russian site.

There should have been a "see further details" type option which might have showed the domain name. I wonder if it was the same one.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:43:46 AM

I've been on for most of the night.   No issues here.

You might try a different computer at your place to see if it's that computer, or bigger.
Mt. Gox (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:46:03 AM

That's weird, why would the domain be unregistered? I'm going to assume that the problem is going to be on your side, did you go through your installed certificates?

I'm running on a newly installed version of Windows with a newly installed version of Portable Firefox so I doubt it's my computer that's at fault. Could it be related to my router? I'm browsing on a shared wifi connection with about 12 other computers in the network.

CrackedLogic
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:49:23 AM

I'm running on a newly installed version of Windows with a newly installed version of Portable Firefox so I doubt it's my computer that's at fault. Could it be related to my router? I'm browsing on a shared wifi connection with about 12 other computers in the network.

Definitely won't be your router, there's a possibility that something may have crawled on from the other computers onto yours. Download trusteer rapport.  It helps a lot. It's encrypts all your data on wev pages you browse https://www.trusteer.com/ProtectYourMoney

Mt. Gox (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 09:24:51 AM

I've been on for most of the night.   No issues here.

You might try a different computer at your place to see if it's that computer, or bigger.

The problem is gone now so it's not possible to test it anymore. It looks like only me and one other person had the same issue and most people weren't affected. Unless someone else steps up and says that they were also affected, I'll probably just lock this thread.

Definitely won't be your router, there's a possibility that something may have crawled on from the other computers onto yours. Download trusteer rapport.  It helps a lot. It's encrypts all your data on wev pages you browse https://www.trusteer.com/ProtectYourMoney

Looks interesting. I already have most of my BTC in a cold storage wallet and all my bank accounts use third party authentication so it's probably not necessary for me at this stage.

EDIT: Wait, what is this?

The EULA[34] (Paragraph #2) allows IBM to take files from the machine that it is installed on. You authorize personnel of IBM, as Your Sponsoring Enterprise's data processor, to use the Program remotely to collect any files or other information from your computer ... Some consider this a violation of security and privacy.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusteer#Trusteer_Rapport

So they (IBM) can see and take any files which happen to be stored in my computer's hard drive? Huh

Mt. Gox (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 10:11:22 AM

Since nobody else other than Operatr has experienced the same issue I had and it seems to have been a one-off type thing, I'm locking this thread. Thanks for the responses everyone! Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: