Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:09:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need to reformat computer...  (Read 2299 times)
ragingazn628 (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Coin Generator

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 11:32:16 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2012, 11:42:17 PM by ragingazn628

how do I save my BTC? I have 45 BTC on this computer ...

I already did "Backup Wallet" am I good to go now?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
purplesquid

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 12:05:33 AM

As long as you save the backup file and don't format the drive containing this file, you are good to go. Make a couple copies on a couple flash drives to be sure.

Alternatively, to be extra safe, you could transfer your coins to another wallet, like at blockchain.info, reformat the computer, and send the coins back to your self after formatting.
ragingazn628 (OP)

Activity: 714

Coin Generator

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 01:20:47 AM

ok but then how can I load my BTC back?
scifimike12

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 01:36:09 AM

This should help:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet#Restore

Simply place wallet.dat back in "C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin"
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 04:17:13 AM

This sub-forum is more appropriate for such questions.
(Tech support)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=4.0
ensign_lee

Activity: 886

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:30:48 PM

Why don't you just send your coins to gox first?

That's what I do when I reformat mine, just in case I can't get my keys back and working for whatever reason.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
theGECK

Activity: 411

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 02:30:00 PM

That's what I do when I reformat mine, just in case I can't get my keys back and working for whatever reason.

I vote for this. Send it to an online wallet service or trading partner. MtGox, Vircurex, Blockchain.info, etc.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 04:51:34 PM

Roll Eyes
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 03:45:30 AM

Sorry but my BTC are more secure than anyone else's here, as I have spent them all Tongue Well okay, I spent some and sold the rest on an exchange (but then I spent the USD on stuff, primarily netflix and hardware for my computer store).
Fcx35x10

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 06:29:49 PM

Sorry but my BTC are more secure than anyone else's here, as I have spent them all Tongue Well okay, I spent some and sold the rest on an exchange (but then I spent the USD on stuff, primarily netflix and hardware for my computer store).

niceee  Smiley
Gatorhex

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 05:02:18 PM

You just copy the wallet.dat or what ever you called your backup file.

Really if you can copy the whole bitcoin folder in the user directory you'll save yourself 2 days of downloading the block chain again.

Just install bitcoin and run it for the first time with network access disabled, close it, then copy your files in.

I recently moved mine from Windows to Ubuntu. The whole block chain was about 4.7Gb.
(I remember because I was in two minds to burn it to a DVD or not)  Grin
joshv06

Activity: 991

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 11:11:32 PM

I suggest just sending them to mtgox, but make sure your account has google authentication. I have been hacked of 5 coins before authenticator was available.

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE
Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 02:10:30 PM

Make sure you encrypt your wallet before you back it up. If you don't encrypt it, and someone finds your backup, he can spend your coins!

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Gatorhex

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 04:10:35 PM

I suggest just sending them to mtgox, but make sure your account has google authentication. I have been hacked of 5 coins before authenticator was available.

Make sure you encrypt your wallet before you back it up. If you don't encrypt it, and someone finds your backup, he can spend your coins!

Don't put your wallet on your mining machine there are keylogger miners out there that can record your encryption password.  Wink
cabin

Activity: 604

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 01:08:44 AM

If you're comfortable with the command line there are tools to print out your private keys too. They can be reimported later in case you really screw everything up.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 10:46:56 AM

zip the file with a password, and then email it to yourself Smiley

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
jl2035

Activity: 146

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 12:27:49 PM

hm... when I was doing this for the first time, I sent my coins to Coinbase and almost lost my nerves..

JOIN Bitbiz bitbiz.io
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 09:44:57 AM

Send them to me , I will look after them, then When you finished messing about I will send them back.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: