Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:31:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Things to think about NOW, before the next bitcoin bubble. 💥💹🔜  (Read 2412 times)
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 02:35:08 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2015, 03:34:15 PM by americanpegasus

As we have conclusively demonstrated through Pegafractal Cryptograph Currency Conjecture there is another bubble coming.  

It's peak?  I can't accurately predict, but I can say this: If we had been asked to predict the peak of the 2013 bubble while bitcoin languished in $2 purgatory years ago, what figure might we have guessed?  Likely, our pathetic guesstimate would have fallen way short of the truth.  I am confident that most of us asked to predict the peak of the 2017/2018 bubble would also fail spectacularly.    

So we can't predict the  exact peak of our next bubble, but we know it will shock.   That means the time to take care of a few delicate issues is now, not when bitcoin begins to explode upward to prices we can't fathom.  

Physical Security:  

This one applies mainly to exchanges.  A "cold storage" vault isn't going to help you if some truly bad guys roll up with hardware and start doing nefarious things to get access.  Do not doubt that such people exist for the right amount of money.  

Places like Circle and Coinbase HQ need to be a bank-level fortress, and this needs to be a well advertised fact.  

For users: if you don't own the private keys, you don't own the bitcoin.  I enjoy the convenience that bitcoin 'banks' like Coinbase offer, but I will be splitting my coins into three soon: some held entirely by Coinbase, some in multi-sig, and some entirely in cold storage.  

Shut Up:  

OK, by now you told everyone and their cousin about this great new bitcoin thing.  

Now stop talking about bitcoin club, if you value your safety or personal relationships at all.  

I was born into the lowest American poverty and have clawed my way up to upper-middle class.  I don't have much money, but I live comfortably.  I don't do the same trailer park type shit I did as a kid.  

However, if you ask many of my family and friends back at home, "I've lost my way" and "I've forgotten where I'm from".  I am seen as 'wealthy' by them because I can afford luxuries that are totally outside their realm of existence.  

And they hate it.   They hate the success (even though this isn't really success) because it makes them feel useless and weak.  As Kat Williams said, they don't hate you; they hate good shit.  Good shit didn't happen to them, and now they're mad.  

Imagine how much more drastic this effect will be when your bitcoins are suddenly worth 500x what they are now, and it's ALL OVER THE NEWS (and it will be).  

Learn how to say "No" now:  

Get that fantasy world out of your head where everyone likes you because you were a bitcoin visionary.  People are gonna hate you.  

You are gonna learn exactly what Steve Martin feels like in The Jerk when every Facebook friend of yours suddenly feels entitled to 'just a little bit'....  After all, "you have so much now.  Don't be stingy!"  

If you really believe bitcoin is moon-bound, don't just shut up about it- learn to stand up for yourself.  

Learn  how to say "No," now and mean it.  Someone wants you to drive an hour out of the way to save them 15 minutes?  "No."  Some girl wants you to buy her a drink?  "No."  Some guy at the mall wants to talk to you about... "No."  

Practice telling people 'no' so that when they come knocking for money, you have no problems telling them to get lost.  You gave them the secret already and they didn't think it was worth the risk; you did.  You can't be responsible for other people's lives, or you will find your own reduced to an empty shell.  

Review the history that will repeat itself:  

Bitcoin Talk is full of valuable threads from the rise of the last bubble.  Trolls were screaming in disbelief, and genuine users were stunned, not sure if they should sell any coins on the way up.  

Engage in Perfect Decision Theory now (hello little basilisk) and decide what you will do now so that you don't panic and do something regretful in a moment of emotional panic.  

Find a Purpose:  

You're gonna be rich one day.  Great.  So that's off your list.  

What next?  

Figure out something else.  Stop sitting around watching price charts all day.   It'll happen.  Either build the bitcoin universe with the rest of us, or go do something else significant.  

You will find very quickly that money by itself isn't satisfying.  Anyone who has inherited a windfall knows this: for a brief period your happiness levels are on overload, and life is incredible...  But then your brain slowly adjusts to your new life.  

And if you suck at getting a girlfriend/boyfriend then money isn't going to change that; you're just going to have a new class of gold-diggers available to you.  If you are depressed, money isn't going to change that.  You're just going to have a new class of pills available to you.   If you...  

See where this is going?  And I'm not gonna be cliche and say that money can't buy happiness.  That's only partially true.  

Money can buy opportunities  for happiness, but you have to be already emotionally wealthy or these won't be satisfying.  

You need to have a passion and project, because the emotional rewards from admiring something you've helped create never go away.  

Just some things to think about during our long winter before the next bubble.  

Feel free to add your own, especially if you've lived through one of these violent bitcoin movements as a HODL'er.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 02:42:50 PM

TL;DR version?
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 02:52:57 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2015, 03:03:36 PM by spazzdla

TL;DR version?

You should really read it all it is a good read.

The no part will be BIG imo.. I forsee difficult times ahead.. those you have pleaded with to buy real wealth will come BEGGING for you to bail them out after they spent all their money on booze and bitches when you saved it to secure your future.  

You must learn to become an *ass* don't let fools ride your coat tails after partying while you worked.

My plan is to own a golf course with my other BTC buddy.  Although he might just buy like 10 with the stash he has lol.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 03:00:23 PM

bears in mind that the next bubble isn't a given(it's only very probable), that's way we are still in despair phase right now, and you are seeing fud everywhere

but your last part is fucking true, money are just mandatory not really important, happyness can be found without being rich

but i think that passion, helps on being more happy than someone that does not have any
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2015, 03:14:47 PM

Also this:

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Shattered

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 05:58:35 PM

OP sounds like the type of guy i would like to have a conversation and a beer with...
There will always be people in our lives who think that personal achievement simply happens.

Like you have access to more lucky magic than they do.
Hard work, tactical financial risks, and not wasting money on things you simply dont need etc.
This has nothing to do with luck. You cant earn luck.

To anyone who thinks OP was too long, i highly recommend taking the time to read this one.
Truly one of the better posts of 2015
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 06:28:49 PM

@americanpegasus

very good post. enjoyed it thoroughly

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 06:32:53 PM

OP sounds like the type of guy i would like to have a conversation and a beer with...
There will always be people in our lives who think that personal achievement simply happens.

Like you have access to more lucky magic than they do.
Hard work, tactical financial risks, and not wasting money on things you simply dont need etc.
This has nothing to do with luck. You cant earn luck.

To anyone who thinks OP was too long, i highly recommend taking the time to read this one.
Truly one of the better posts of 2015
You were lucky to be born with the kind of mind that thinks the correct way. I feel very lucky about that Smiley

I'm not quite sure how serious the OP is though. Read some of his other posts. Not that that should distract from the points in this particular post;
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:07:47 PM

Who says that there is going to be a bubble?
Bitcoin is manipulated most than ever before, and the previous bubble was a manipulation by mtgox bots too, I am not so sure that there is going to be a bubble
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:57:43 PM

As strong as my inner troll may be.
I think this is a nice post.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 09:00:23 PM

If I remember correctly, I saw few posts like this before the last super spike in October 2013. I was not a member of the forum then. Is it the case that some people can sense the wave coming ?
futureofbitcoin

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 09:16:07 PM

If I remember correctly, I saw few posts like this before the last super spike in October 2013. I was not a member of the forum then. Is it the case that some people can sense the wave coming ?
I wasn't here back then, but I bet it's more of a selective memory type of thing. You tend to forget the 1000s of wrong predictions/bad timing, and remember the ones that were right. There are always people screaming next bubble is coming or cash out now bitcoin's gonna go to 0. And whatever happens, we just remember the correct predictions.
SpanishSoldier

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 09:23:12 PM

I wasn't here back then, but I bet it's more of a selective memory type of thing. You tend to forget the 1000s of wrong predictions/bad timing, and remember the ones that were right. There are always people screaming next bubble is coming or cash out now bitcoin's gonna go to 0. And whatever happens, we just remember the correct predictions.

I am not talking about the thousands of trolls speculating about bitcoin upward or downward. This certain post pattern is a class apart than the rest and seasoned eyes can recognize it. It is not a typical school boy post or lousy words of an unsatisfied individual. It is coming from a seasoned individual who has seen ups & downs of life. And this type of posts are rare...
futureofbitcoin

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 09:27:55 PM

I am not talking about the thousands of trolls speculating about bitcoin upward or downward. This certain post pattern is a class apart than the rest and seasoned eyes can recognize it. It is not a typical school boy post or lousy words of an unsatisfied individual. It is coming from a seasoned individual who has seen ups & downs of life. And this type of posts are rare...
hm... I can't see it. I mean, maybe you're right, but I personally can't see it. Especially when I take into consideration some of the other threads by the OP, like these:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1051740.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1032501.msg11141776#msg11141776
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1009202.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=914517.msg10193117#msg10193117
SpanishSoldier

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 09:40:34 PM

hm... I can't see it. I mean, maybe you're right, but I personally can't see it. Especially when I take into consideration some of the other threads by the OP, like these:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1051740.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1032501.msg11141776#msg11141776
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1009202.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=914517.msg10193117#msg10193117

Oops... that's too bad, I must say. Highly inconsistent with this post.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 10:11:30 PM

I have wisdom to share: This is originally a line from Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eigth Dimension:

"No matter where you go, there you are."

You, with money, are the same person as you, without money.  Having money may change the way you live, but get over the idea that it will change you.  It won't.  If you expect it to, you'll waste a lot of time trying to figure out who you are.  And if you do shit you don't like or aren't good at, expecting that you will like it or be good at it now that you have money, you're being dumb.  If you're unhappy without money, you'll probably be unhappy with money.  If you can't form stable relationships because you don't value other people enough, you'll still have that problem when you have money.  etc. 

So, long-story-short: money is a tool, not an aspect of identity.

futureofbitcoin

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 12:35:40 AM

I have wisdom to share: This is originally a line from Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eigth Dimension:

You, with money, are the same person as you, without money.  Having money may change the way you live, but get over the idea that it will change you.  It won't.  If you expect it to, you'll waste a lot of time trying to figure out who you are.  And if you do shit you don't like or aren't good at, expecting that you will like it or be good at it now that you have money, you're being dumb.  If you're unhappy without money, you'll probably be unhappy with money.  If you can't form stable relationships because you don't value other people enough, you'll still have that problem when you have money.  etc. 

I agree with the morals of this to a certain extent, but not with the content. The fact is, people do change with money. People become more greedy, become paranoid, etc. But it works the other way too.

If you're doing "shit you don't like or aren't good at" now to survive, if you had money, you wouldn't need to do that. It gives you a lot of choices. You can avoid things or people you couldn't avoid before.
pablox43

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 01:12:37 AM

Well said.
S4VV4S

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 05:36:38 AM

TL;DR version?

You should really read it all it is a good read.

The no part will be BIG imo.. I forsee difficult times ahead.. those you have pleaded with to buy real wealth will come BEGGING for you to bail them out after they spent all their money on booze and bitches when you saved it to secure your future.  

You must learn to become an *ass* don't let fools ride your coat tails after partying while you worked.

My plan is to own a golf course with my other BTC buddy.  Although he might just buy like 10 with the stash he has lol.

OK. Read it.

So, it's a prediction that the next bubble is coming sometime after this winter?

Erm, isn't the block reward supposed to halve next year?
S4VV4S

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 05:37:38 AM

Amen.

Man make the money, money never make the man. - L.L. Cool J
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: